Grantland (Titus) Rankings | Syracusefan.com

Grantland (Titus) Rankings

Upstate

Co 2020 Cali Winner, Rcd/Rcpts/TD Rcpts (5)/TFL
5. Syracuse

As a guy who made a name for himself by being a college basketball walk-on, I feel obligated to help anyone who might want to follow in my footsteps. With that in mind, as I watched Syracuse's two blowout wins last week, I realized that the Orange are the best team in the country to join as a walk-on. The reasoning is simple. First of all, should you choose to walk on at Syracuse, you'll be guaranteed to play for a good team because the Orange are a national title contender almost every year. This means you'll never be asked to contribute meaningful minutes, but even more importantly you'll have a good chance of making the Final Four, which you can put on your résumé for the rest of your life. And believe me, even if you never set foot on the court during your career, when you graduate you will claim every team accomplishment as your own.

What separates Syracuse from other perennial title contenders is Jim Boeheim's 2-3 zone. Any former walk-on at any school can explain that his role is to essentially be a human punching bag. So if you walk on for a team that plays a lot of man-to-man defense, you'll get stuck guarding the best player several times throughout your career. From experience, I can tell you that doing so ranks somewhere between "throwing a worse first pitch than Baba Booey" and "having a paternity dispute settled on Maury" on the list of humiliating experiences. With a 2-3 zone, though, you're far less likely to be embarrassed because it's much easier to pass blame on to your teammates, which is really what being a walk-on is all about.

But the most important reason why Syracuse would be best for walk-ons is that, from what I can tell, Jim Boeheim is way past caring what his players do. This is anecdotal evidence, but when I was at Ohio State, we played Syracuse in Madison Square Garden in the preseason NIT one year. Both teams stayed at the same hotel in Times Square. After getting done with film around 10 p.m. the night before the game, Coach Matta said he wanted us all to go straight up to bed. My walk-on roommate and I laughed at this suggestion and instead left to explore the city since we didn't need to get rest just to sit on the bench the next day. Anyway, as the clock neared midnight and we walked back to the hotel, we spotted a group of Syracuse players (some of whom were starters) out on the town. What they were up to I don't know, but I do know that there are very few college basketball coaches who would be cool with their starters walking around Times Square at midnight the night before a game. If Boeheim lets this slide with his scholarship players, you can only assume how little he cares what his walk-ons do. Translation: road trips = vacations.7
So yeah. If you're a skilled high school basketball player who is short and unathletic, you should start figuring out whose asses you need to kiss to get a walk-on spot at Syracuse. It might be the best gig in college basketball.

Uggh.. quite a shot in the nuts regarding player discipline and a passive aggressive approach to calling it out. But as an aside - isn't practice often mtm vs zone? Pretty poor writeup to be honest and the fact he went to OH ST.. bigger uggh.

iirc this guy had it out for us a few times last year.

hes still pissed that brandon reece beat him out

I just love the complete lack of analysis in this. I realize that's not really what Grantland is about, and I understand it's tough to offer real analysis based on the two teams we played last week, but come on. At least more than a passing reference that we played games would be nice.

For him not to mention that Boeheim himself was a walk-on shows poor research. Completely negates any credibility for the writer. Two thumbs down.

what's going on with the lack of analysis this week (probably has something to do with the non-competitive games this week)? The usually interesting Luke Winn also wastes his entire Syracuse write up in his latest power rankings:

Syracuse Orange (8-0)
Does Michael Carter-Williams deserve his own Turnometer, too? His steal percentage is quite good, but it's hard to tell on film if he's actually a thief. He calls the whole thing a "misunderstanding", and since it's hard to tell what really happened, I'm putting any charting of his steals on hold until more concrete evidence emerges.

In the meantime, will you settle for some music? This is as good a place as any to counter my friends at Gorilla vs. Bear's best songs of 2012 list, which goes 100 deep, has its own Spotify playlist and is, as always, excellent. I'm only going 10 deep, and I'm going heavy on Frank Ocean, whose Channel Orange album produced as many hits in 2012 as Kentucky did draft picks:

10. The Walkmen :: Southern Heart
9. Johnny Greenwood (The Master OST) :: Alethia (Instrumental)
8. Kendrick Lamar :: Money Trees
7. Oneohtrix Point Never :: I Only Have Eyes For You
6. Neil Young & Crazy Horse :: Ramada Inn
5. Frank Ocean :: Super Rich Kids
4. Frank Ocean :: Sweet Life
3. Frank Ocean :: Thinkin Bout You
2. Japandroids :: The House That Heaven Built
1. Frank Ocean :: Pyramids

Next three: 12/15 vs. Canisius, 12/17 vs. Detroit, 12/22 vs. Temple (NYC)

what's going on with the lack of analysis this week (probably has something to do with the non-competitive games this week)? The usually interesting Luke Winn also wastes his entire Syracuse write up in his latest power rankings:

Wow.. thats pretty low for him..

Man, that's pretty friggin' weak of Winn to be taking shots at MCW. I don't necessarily like the dude to begin with, but he's always painstakingly detailed in his breakdowns and clearly puts in as much research as anyone in the business, but that write up, coupled with the pot shots at MCW's little extracurricular endeavors this week, seem so bush league for him.

Uggh.. quite a shot in the nuts regarding player discipline and a passive aggressive approach to calling it out. But as an aside - isn't practice often mtm vs zone? Pretty poor writeup to be honest and the fact he went to OH ST.. bigger uggh.

Eh, JB runs the program like an NBA team. You are expected to show up to work and do your job. It's not his job to babysit.

Eh, JB runs the program like an NBA team. You are expected to show up to work and do your job. It's not his job to babysit.
Yeah, I bet that thought process would go over well when talking to the parents of 17 year olds and attempting to get them to trust him with watching over and taking care of their children. And yes, that is one of the jobs of a college coaching staff. It may not fall directly to JB (I assume someone like GMac or Red would be more likely to handle it this year, or whoever is in the role Z had the last few seasons) but it absolutely begins with him.

Yeah, I bet that thought process would go over well when talking to the parents of 17 year olds and attempting to get them to trust him with watching over and taking care of their children. And yes, that is one of the jobs of a college coaching staff. It may not fall directly to JB (I assume someone like GMac or Red would be more likely to handle it this year, or whoever is in the role Z had the last few seasons) but it absolutely begins with him.

I understand that it could be the job of the assistants, but unless something has changed, what Titus wrote about isn't an isolated thing.

Maybe some parents don't like it, but it must appeal to some kids the way he runs things.

JB runs the show his own way. I don't think there is anything wrong with expecting some personal responsibility from your team.

I understand that it could be the job of the assistants, but unless something has changed, what Titus wrote about isn't an isolated thing.

Maybe some parents don't like it, but it must appeal to some kids the way he runs things.

JB runs the show his own way. I don't think there is anything wrong with expecting some personal responsibility from your team.
Oh, I agree, teaching kids personal responsibility is definitely important. But I'm just saying it absolutely falls under a coach's job expectations (in most situations) to be responsible for the welfare of these kids and making sure they don't screw themselves up too badly.

Oh, I agree, teaching kids personal responsibility is definitely important. But I'm just saying it absolutely falls under a coach's job expectations (in most situations) to be responsible for the welfare of these kids and making sure they don't screw themselves up too badly.

All in all - its a cheap shot considering he has no clue if the players have a curfew of say 1 am. I am not saying thats the case , but its a reach to assess the situation as if JB could care less and that the coaching staff lets the players run amuck while on road trips. Also - the comment relative to the perfectly innocent buckeyes in bed at 10 and he and his troublemaking yet still innocent OSU walkons coming up and seeing the deviant SU players is pathetic. I mean come on, thats right up there with the Reddick didn't inhale BS.

you gotta remember, though - that squad was special

< >

I doubt JB gives as much leash to every group ;)

He tries too hard. He needs to stop being "cute" and focus more on the basketball.

and then you get fabricio'd

I feel like if Titus told that story about Kentucky or UConn the reaction would be a lot different and a lot more favorable

I also don't expect a whole lot of deep insight from Titus, at least based on what I've read in the past. The college basketball coverage on Grantland is pretty bad. The NBA stuff I like; Zach Lowe is very good.

I feel like if Titus told that story about Kentucky or UConn the reaction would be a lot different and a lot more favorable

I also don't expect a whole lot of deep insight from Titus, at least based on what I've read in the past. The college basketball coverage on Grantland is pretty bad. The NBA stuff I like; Zach Lowe is very good.

Zach Lowe is awesome.

44cuse

I hear ya. It probably explains why he's been having such a tough go of it on the recruiting trail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD