Great BE article | Syracusefan.com

Great BE article

Marsh01

Living Legend
last-call-garden-party
last-call-garden-party
http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/9002900/last-call-garden-party

I spent 20 minutes reading that article it was the best article I have read on ESPN in years.
It made me respect, hate John Thompson. I loved the Pitino-Rollie portion and showed JB in a good light. Basically it confirmed the destruction of the Big East was the retirement of Mike Tranghese and promotion of John Marinatto.
Also, I love SU basketball and love Pearl Washington, but never knew HOW MUCH that guy contributed to the legacy of the Big East. I mean anybody under 30 doesn't know how much he was respected. He was put in Ewing, Mullin category too bad he didn't have a long NBA career and imagine if he stayed for his Sr. year in 1987 oh my.

I spent 20 minutes reading that article it was the best article I have read on ESPN in years.
It made me respect, hate John Thompson. I loved the Pitino-Rollie portion and showed JB in a good light. Basically it confirmed the destruction of the Big East was the retirement of Mike Tranghese and promotion of John Marinatto.
Also, I love SU basketball and love Pearl Washington, but never knew HOW MUCH they guy contributed to the legacy of the Big East. I mean anybody under 30 doesn't know how much he respected. He was put in Ewing, Mullin category too bad he didn't have a long NBA career and imagine if he stayed for his Sr. year in 1987 oh my.

I had to take a piss like it was my job and couldnt stop reading. Took me about 20 minutes too

A great article, and it really saddens me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. Really well done. Loved the part about Pitino entering the league...standing up to Rolli...walking 18 holes! haha

It's going to be a very emotional week.

Wow by far the best thing that's ESPN has done in many years!

I had to take a piss like it was my job and couldnt stop reading. Took me about 20 minutes too

thats when you take your smart phone to the bathroom and sit down and relax.

thats when you take your smart phone to the bathroom and sit down and relax.
I've had close calls where the phone drops and bounces on the rim like the end of the Michigan/Indiana game so I try to avoid that at all costs.

i cant believe how long it took to read. the article just kept going and going... really well done. A+

I'd kill for a full length book about those coaches meetings. The 40 for 40 on the rise and fall of the Big East Conference is going to be pretty amazing.

And I think my office is getting dusty. Anyone else having that problem?

Great, great article. Loved the Pitino/Rollie stuff.

Excellent stuff.

Really starting to hit me that this is it. Years and years from now, I hope that people remember the 30+ year run this conference had. The best of the best.

"That's why you have people with big-picture ideas to run things. When you have good people in those positions, you end up in a good place. When you have the wrong people, which we seem to have a lot of, you end up in the wrong place." -Jim Boeheim

Is this a jab at the ACC move?

"That's why you have people with big-picture ideas to run things. When you have good people in those positions, you end up in a good place. When you have the wrong people, which we seem to have a lot of, you end up in the wrong place." -Jim Boeheim

Is this a jab at the ACC move?

Nope. It's a jab at conference commissioners and university presidents whose only thought or vision is to cover their a$$ with the almighty dollar.

Loved the Pearl story. Remember watching him- no one was ever as one with the ball as he. The control he had with it was amazing- I can't recall anyone, pro or college with that same ability.

That was the best thing I've ever read. Ever. For those of us who lived that era, it had to nearly bring a tear to your eye. It also explains why many of us, put Pearl on our all time favorite SU team over Sherm. Pearl had an aura that was indescribable. I was crushed when he left early...CRUSHED.

The league that they are talking about died years ago. Most of the article is about the '80s. After that it's a couple of singular moments over 20 years.

There were a half dozen memorable moments in the last 10 years.

There were a half dozen memorable moments in the last 10 years.

The early years were definitely the golden age of the Big East. It was a special time.

Who remembers the weekly Big East show on Saturdays where they would play the Big East Music Video of the week, showing the week's highlights?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom