Great news not being sarcastic | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Great news not being sarcastic

Not calling for his head, but your post, and a few other posters in this thread, made me vomit.

Maybe all the "right" people are the wrong people.

They got it wrong with GRob.

They apparently got it wrong with Marrone.

Pasqualoni of all people is winning games.

These are the "right" people? Remember the big sell job we all got? Led by the now-disgraced Tim Green. The BS and "binders" brigade. Where are all those clowns today?

I don't have any inside information, nor am I rubbing elbows with the people who do, but I agree that Marrone is not going anywhere for a couple years. Last year was such a miracle, he got 2-3 extra years for that alone.We all knew we were going to be 6-6 this year, but nobody expected it would go down like this. And the move to the ACC, you don't want to start that with a new staff.

One person in this thread predicts he will get 3 more tries and has not used up his first try yet. So, are you saying Marrone could go 6-6 for 12 years until he had a real chance of being fired? Really?! His luncheons are that good?

I just don't get why the apologists and people with inside information have to rub in that Marrone, despite whatever GRobesque egg he lays on any given Saturday, is not going anywhere. Is being right, being an insider, that much more important than expressing how much this brand of football sucks? People seem to revel in the opinion that this meathead will leave on "his terms". HIS terms?!? After these stinkers? The senate just voted themselves another pay raise!!

Were you in tears when you typed this? Best take a walk in the sun today.

Not calling for his head, but your post, and a few other posters in this thread, made me vomit.

Maybe all the "right" people are the wrong people.

They got it wrong with GRob.

They apparently got it wrong with Marrone.

Pasqualoni of all people is winning games.

These are the "right" people? Remember the big sell job we all got? Led by the now-disgraced Tim Green. The BS and "binders" brigade. Where are all those clowns today?

I don't have any inside information, nor am I rubbing elbows with the people who do, but I agree that Marrone is not going anywhere for a couple years. Last year was such a miracle, he got 2-3 extra years for that alone.We all knew we were going to be 6-6 this year, but nobody expected it would go down like this. And the move to the ACC, you don't want to start that with a new staff.

One person in this thread predicts he will get 3 more tries and has not used up his first try yet. So, are you saying Marrone could go 6-6 for 12 years until he had a real chance of being fired? Really?! His luncheons are that good?

I just don't get why the apologists and people with inside information have to rub in that Marrone, despite whatever GRobesque egg he lays on any given Saturday, is not going anywhere. Is being right, being an insider, that much more important than expressing how much this brand of football sucks? People seem to revel in the opinion that this meathead will leave on "his terms". HIS terms?!? After these stinkers? The senate just voted themselves another pay raise!!

Great post, and as I have admitted, I understand that I am a blowhard at times but Marrone gets next year to win and get back to a bowl game, if not you buy out the last year, give the new coach one year before we go to the ACC because as of right now we are still one of the worst BCS teams around, we are Duke and that is about where our talent base is. If marrone flounders, they will need to fundraise and hire a coach that can actually recruit who has a proven track record to do so. Also need to build facilities, there are too mant old players talking about the glory days and not looking forward. You go out, find a guy with a proven track record as a HC in the college game and runs a succesful college offense, if he can recruit the mid atlantic even better. I start with the coach at So miss and keep going from there. These coaches want money and a chance to step up in prominence not hard to figure out. Gross and Cantor will not give Doug 5-6 years if we keep losing next year, it won't happen, IMO

The thing I like about marrone and know for a fact, he will be the first one to tell you that the performnace the last few weeks is not acceptbale and if he goes 5-7 next year that he pretty much shouldn't be retained, he understands the need to win, he isn't GROB and after year 4 we are still losing, I don't see him being around. That is the business, love it or leave it, Doug will be fine regardless. I don't see why as fans it is necessary to tie and anchor to what looks like a sinking ship. The highlight of the day on Saturday, was P laying a woodshed beating on Rutgers and I don't even like P.

Syracuse simply needs to recruit better and hire a coach that can bring in an offense that freaking works but the defeatist attitude around here is nonsense, its upstate NY group think. It's the same attitude that people take as to why you can't be succesful in any Upstate NY business, etc. You can, you just need to be really good at what you do. I live it every freaking day. Syracuse HC has to be really realy good to succeed, I understand that. Sure there are limitations but they can be overcome

Great post, and as I have admitted, I understand that I am a blowhard at times but Marrone gets next year to win and get back to a bowl game, if not you buy out the last year, give the new coach one year before we go to the ACC because as of right now we are still one of the worst BCS teams around, we are Duke and that is about where our talent base is. If marrone flounders, they will need to fundraise and hire a coach that can actually recruit who has a proven track record to do so. Also need to build facilities, there are too mant old players talking about the glory days and not looking forward. You go out, find a guy with a proven track record as a HC in the college game and runs a succesful college offense, if he can recruit the mid atlantic even better. I start with the coach at So miss and keep going from there. These coaches want money and a chance to step up in prominence not hard to figure out. Gross and Cantor will not give Doug 5-6 years if we keep losing next year, it won't happen, IMO

The thing I like about marrone and know for a fact, he will be the first one to tell you that the performnace the last few weeks is not acceptbale and if he goes 5-7 next year that he pretty much shouldn't be retained, he understands the need to win, he isn't GROB and after year 4 we are still losing, I don't see him being around. That is the business, love it or leave it, Doug will be fine regardless. I don't see why as fans it is necessary to tie and anchor to what looks like a sinking ship. The highlight of the day on Saturday, was P laying a woodshed beating on Rutgers and I don't even like P.

Syracuse simply needs to recruit better and hire a coach that can bring in an offense that freaking works but the defeatist attitude around here is nonsense, its upstate NY group think. It's the same attitude that people take as to why you can't be succesful in any Upstate NY business, etc. You can, you just need to be really good at what you do. I live it every freaking day. Syracuse HC has to be really realy good to succeed, I understand that. Sure there are limitations but they can be overcome
good post spot on

good post spot on

They need a coach that can sell the future at Syracuse not the past, this is one of the fundamental issues with everyone affiliated with the program right now. The past hits home with the local yokels and makes them buy cases of Jergens when it comes to Marrone but it doesn't work with talented young athletes and it doesn't work with the fans that aren't buying tickets.

Sell the future, the past will be a nice side detail. Too many people up there that feel thet UCONN and Rutgers aren't hurting Syracuse on a yearly basis because we were really good 20 years ago and they werent

IB do you really think they are not pitching the future cmon man

Pitching a future built on what is my point, all the new facilities? The exciting brand of football? What? Do you talk to people in the athletic department? It's always about the glory days, etc etc.

If you have a coach with a proven track record, you can sell the process because of a proven track record. Again, keep in mind this is year 3, not year 0 or 1. If they were selling the future, we would not have all of GROB's guys at the skill positions. Talking about it and doing it are different.

If they were selling the future, we wouldnt have such bad facilities as well

Probably right because we have nothing at SU to sell, probably just bringing up we won the NC in '59

Probably right because we have nothing at SU to sell, probably just bringing up we won the NC in '59

I wouldn't say its that bad, but bringing in a guy like Floyd Little excites many people especially the older fanbase but unless he is raising money because of this, well is it really worth it? I don't really know that answer. I think we need to do what excites the kids we need to recruit to get better, just my opinion. I don't see Oregon bringing in Dan Fouts? etc etc

Syracuse needs to really raise a lot of money for the program to really get better, IMO. Cash is king and a machine needs oil. Granted they need to find a better HC but they need money as well, hey if Little can raise money great. I just keep saying to myself when I talk to people affiliated with the program and ath dept, enthusiasm can only put so much lipstick on a pig. Just my opinion.

Now, with the conference we are in, I am talking about getting to 10-2 type status, I think Marrone should be able to get to 7-5, 8-4 with resources provided to him at this point, Remember the program is spending more money than they did for GROB.

Personally, I believe this is like any "sales" job...He talks about the history AND what the University can do for them athletically AND personally they are highly specific to the individual, and much of the history & academics likely helps with the parents as well, I think like Marone or not he does sell the future of the program & the kids

Personally, I believe this is like any "sales" job...He talks about the history AND what the University can do for them athletically AND personally they are highly specific to the individual, and much of the history & academics likely helps with the parents as well, I think like Marone or not he does sell the future of the program & the kids

Good post and I agree. In his mind, sure he does, like you said its like any sales job, you have to sell what you have but will ultimately be judged on how many sales you make. If you don't think you can be succesful selling what you got, then don't take the job. That said, its a two way street, your employer needs to help you to continue to improve your product as much as you do. Relationships are key in any sales business as well.

You also see good sales guys that can't compete with better products and price point due to volume, etc etc. I just don't think Marrone is a very good recruiter, sure he may have been decent at UG and tenn but that is again a better product for the most part. Syracuse needs a truly great recruiter or sales guy however you want to call it. That sales guy should have a pre established customer base that he can draw on from day one. Example-- Locksley in the Mid atlantic area. Now, I just used that as an eaxmple not saying to hire the guy by any means but u get my point.

Ie; a guy that leaves his current sales job for another and retains many of his customers because of solid relationship

I think if Marrone starts Nassib all next year and we finish 5-7, there are going to be some serious conversations. I think most of us would agree at this point that Nassib has a ceiling that he's not going to break through. Not all of it is his fault, the line doesn't protect him well. But even more reason to hand it over to someone with more athleticism, which is what we've been recruiting at the position.

4-8 with a young QB showing potential, gaining experience, showing where we might be heading would look a lot better than 5-7 with a 3 year starting senior QB running an offense that the coach is on record as saying may not be the same system the next QB runs.

If we lose on Saturday, this may be a risk that Marrone has to take.

I think if Marrone starts Nassib all next year and we finish 5-7, there are going to be some serious conversations. I think most of us would agree at this point that Nassib has a ceiling that he's not going to break through. Not all of it is his fault, the line doesn't protect him well. But even more reason to hand it over to someone with more athleticism, which is what we've been recruiting at the position.

4-8 with a young QB showing potential, gaining experience, showing where we might be heading would look a lot better than 5-7 with a 3 year starting senior QB running an offense that the coach is on record as saying may not be the same system the next QB runs.

If we lose on Saturday, this may be a risk that Marrone has to take.

I think he needs to hire a new OC and let him make the choice as to what fits they system the best. Doug needs to trun the offense over to somebody that can build something and focus on running a team and improve specials

connecticut is luckier than we were last year. they might go bowling with a 50th ranked defense and a 100something offense. they're this year's white knuckle shuffle surprise.

I don't think he will be fired but I worry about him losing it. He looks totally beaten right now and he has no answers. He has tried a bunch of different things and I wonder if he has confidence in himself right now. Physically and mentally he looks like a mess. The pressure seems to be getting to him. I remember someone saying that when Marrone took over that if he was not playing for championships within 4 years he will have failed and he would leave. I remember thinking that was a little harsh as it would take longer that 4 years to get to Big East champs. Then again that was before the BE totally fell off the map the last two seasons. I do think he cares about SU FB very much. If we don't make a Bowl this year and don't make one next either, I wouldn't be surprised if he resigned. Hopefully it will never get to that.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave early. The hostility is insane.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave early. The amount of direct of hostility is insane.
This would be a real tragedy. Say what you want about the job he has done thus far, but I fail to see anyone on the horizon who would care half as much about getting the job done as he does. That in itself, buys him some leniency from me. Mike Leach could care less if we won or lost if he was our coach, he'd be here for a payday and to move onto somewhere bigger if he succeeded.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave early. The hostility is insane.

Are you saying Syracuse fans are hostile to an insane degree?

Really?!

Syracuse fans are like kittens playing with string compared to most other major college football fanbases.

I agree with Go, I could see Doug cashing it in after this year

Honestly, if he did, that'd be a horrendous indictment of his character.

And I don't believe he would or will for a second.

Good post and I agree. In his mind, sure he does, like you said its like any sales job, you have to sell what you have but will ultimately be judged on how many sales you make. If you don't think you can be succesful selling what you got, then don't take the job. That said, its a two way street, your employer needs to help you to continue to improve your product as much as you do. Relationships are key in any sales business as well.

You also see good sales guys that can't compete with better products and price point due to volume, etc etc. I just don't think Marrone is a very good recruiter, sure he may have been decent at UG and tenn but that is again a better product for the most part. Syracuse needs a truly great recruiter or sales guy however you want to call it. That sales guy should have a pre established customer base that he can draw on from day one. Example-- Locksley in the Mid atlantic area. Now, I just used that as an eaxmple not saying to hire the guy by any means but u get my point.

Ie; a guy that leaves his current sales job for another and retains many of his customers because of solid relationship
I think we sort of agree here, I might use Strong at Louisville for your example above, he has been doing great with his FL recruiting, however I think that the jury is still out with Marone on recruiting based upon his philosophy of opening up NY (local market) relationships previously injured by the firing of coach P and lack of understanding by GRob weather that is right or not is a completely different debate, and the fact he was in the Pros and his connections that he did maintain may not have been as ready to open back up as we all hope, along with how far we had fallen. I think if what I have read elsewhere is correct possibly David Perkins, George Morris & Josh Manley as possible (maybe maybe not) & signing Ron Thompson, maybe we are at the start of a breakthrough, but like everything only time will tell

Too many people up there that feel thet UCONN and Rutgers aren't hurting Syracuse on a yearly basis because we were really good 20 years ago and they werent

This pretty much sums up why I don't jump in on the Rutgers bashing / quasi inferiority complex we have here.

When they beat us, they hurt us. 20 years ago doesn't matter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom