Great news not being sarcastic | Syracusefan.com

Great news not being sarcastic

kcsu

Living Legend
Here is the Silver lining Because we are going to the ACC Syracuse is one of the top 60-70 Jobs in the country. If we were going through this situation with the cloud of the Big East hanging over us we would be in major trouble. Doug will get next year but unless he shows significant progress it will be his last. With the move to the ACC and the fact that the Administration is going to move forward on the upgrades we will be in much better position to land a quality coach. I hope that Doug pulls it out but i truly doubt it . long term im not worried about it.

What did Marrone do to you to get you so angry? I have never went all in on Marrone but your posts seem more personal. Also you seem to think that we have better talent on the bench, which to me seems ludicrous. The only ones you have mentioned are the RBs. I have seen all during the Spring game, during the ED scrimmage, and throughout the season. And I am SCARED that we are in trouble next year without Bailey.

HCDM isn't going anywhere for a good long time. The entire SU Football community has gone "all in" with Doug. He's going to get 2 to 3 chances to get this right....and he hasn't even burned through his first chance yet.

You couldn't be more wrong.

I don't think he will be fired but I worry about him losing it. He looks totally beaten right now and he has no answers. He has tried a bunch of different things and I wonder if he has confidence in himself right now. Physically and mentally he looks like a mess. The pressure seems to be getting to him. I remember someone saying that when Marrone took over that if he was not playing for championships within 4 years he will have failed and he would leave. I remember thinking that was a little harsh as it would take longer that 4 years to get to Big East champs. Then again that was before the BE totally fell off the map the last two seasons. I do think he cares about SU FB very much. If we don't make a Bowl this year and don't make one next either, I wouldn't be surprised if he resigned. Hopefully it will never get to that.

King, you bring up a valid point. What if we're asking the wrong question. Maybe the question should be "Will Doug choose to stay after his contract runs out"?

You couldn't be more wrong.
What would leave you to believe that the admin and boosters of this program will continue to support failure? Do you believe just because Doug is a grad and a good guy that Syracuse will continue to support a failing program? I actually think that Doug has too much pride and love of Syracuse to not succeed. I believe we will see changes in the off season that will make a differance. I hope that Doug starts with himself as he needs to review every aspect of this program. Three years in and the program should be showing significant progress not a major regression. Give me three things that have improved since Doug has taken over that we can build on.

Last year, Hogue and Smith covered up for alot of ills. This year sucks, but not unexpected. HCDM is not going anywhere.

The only way that Doug won't be back for the long haul is if Doug walks away. If he feels he can't get it done, he will be the first to tell us. The University will NOT get rid of him. You are wasting your time even thinking about it. He has total support from all the right people.

money talks the loudest-

who sees any wins next year?

The only way that Doug won't be back for the long haul is if Doug walks away. If he feels he can't get it done, he will be the first to tell us. The University will NOT get rid of him. You are wasting your time even thinking about it. He has total support from all the right people.
Doug does have great support i agree but i can promise you that if we do not see progress next year there is a very good chance that Doug will not be retained. The Admin will not allow this program to limp into the ACC and Dougs support will not last beyond his current contract if the program continues to fail

I don't think he will be fired but I worry about him losing it. He looks totally beaten right now and he has no answers. He has tried a bunch of different things and I wonder if he has confidence in himself right now. Physically and mentally he looks like a mess. The pressure seems to be getting to him. I remember someone saying that when Marrone took over that if he was not playing for championships within 4 years he will have failed and he would leave. I remember thinking that was a little harsh as it would take longer that 4 years to get to Big East champs. Then again that was before the BE totally fell off the map the last two seasons. I do think he cares about SU FB very much. If we don't make a Bowl this year and don't make one next either, I wouldn't be surprised if he resigned. Hopefully it will never get to that.
totally agree. i said several weeks ago that he aged 10 years----i would give him a contact extension (3 YEARS) RIGHT NOW, and stay the course

money talks the loudest-

who sees any wins next year?
To the smart money, recruiting talks the loudest. Underneath the wins & losses in year 3, is the head coach making progress in the recruiting wars? If he is, the results will improve in years 5-6.
There are signs that the recruiting is better. Class filled up earlier; granted there were a lot of 2-stars. Maybe there will be another gem or two to be announced -- Ron Thompson was a nice get.
As for next year, you have to remember that almost the entire defense returns. Cincy's defense (all underclassmen) was real bad last year; everyone returned, this year they are much stronger. Could be true for SU next year, as guys like Davis will grow into the position.
On offense, we lose Chew, Bailey & Provo and a couple of 2 year starters in the OL. We gain back Sales, Gulley and some kids like Broyld and Thompson.
Won't be world beaters, but probably more competitive than this year, with the defense being better. Specials can't be worse.

Before the ACC move, etc=The staff thought (if a new QB was ready) that 2013 was a BCS type year.

I expect more growing pains next year(2012), but a bowl should be doable.

totally agree. i said several weeks ago that he aged 10 years----i would give him a contact extension (3 YEARS) RIGHT NOW, and stay the course
why the heck would you reward failure with a three year extension

rutgers gave shitano a huge contract extension after they lost a game to Buffalo to "alleviate the stress"

They wasted that money, even counting there chicken shite OOC schedule. Lets see how HCDM does in 2012 before extensions needed.

why the heck would you reward failure with a three year extension
failure????have you forgotten last year already??? he has been here 3yrs, a contract extension would show recruits that we are committed to him, i do believe he has to lighten up for his own sake and how this translate to the team. he needs to recruit better---and KEEP the coaches he has. consistancy and facility upgrades are key here. i've been around awhile and he is the right guy for this job.disappointing year,yes----armagedon (sp)no.-----i'm worried about his demeanor more than anything else, the one thing he has to do is relax some----and above all stop persecuting himself for a bad year. he is a new to head coaching and needs to grow into the position. cut him some slack, and give him some time.

rutgers gave shitano a huge contract extension after they lost a game to Buffalo to "alleviate the stress"

They wasted that money, even counting there chicken shite OOC schedule. Lets see how HCDM does in 2012 before extensions needed.
disagree totally---we need to demonstrate our committment to him as he has done to to syracuse and back him up. let see --he takes su out of the abyss last year and goes to bowl and wins it. has bad year this year and the fairweather fan base is ready to bail. at the risk of repeating myself,i have been going to games since 1960 ,stop jumping the ship, and give the guy the support he needs.

failure????have you forgotten last year already??? he has been here 3yrs, a contract extension would show recruits that we are committed to him, i do believe he has to lighten up for his own sake and how this translate to the team. he needs to recruit better---and KEEP the coaches he has. consistancy and facility upgrades are key here. i've been around awhile and he is the right guy for this job.disappointing year,yes----armagedon (sp)no.-----i'm worried about his demeanor more than anything else, the one thing he has to do is relax some----and above all stop persecuting himself for a bad year. he is a new to head coaching and needs to grow into the position. cut him some slack, and give him some time.
I dont agree and most likely have been around as long as most 62 first game. Five years is more than enough time. If he doesnt get it done next year he needs to be fired. We are not Rutgers. We are Syracuse and we are going to the ACC. We dont need to reward failure. If Doug doesnt pull it together next year he will be out

I dont agree and most likely have been around as long as most 62 first game. Five years is more than enough time. If he doesnt get it done next year he needs to be fired. We are not Rutgers. We are Syracuse and we are going to the ACC. We dont need to reward failure. If Doug doesnt pull it together next year he will be out
you are right--we are not rutgers---we do not have their money, facilities,and dare i say it, their fan base, although delusional, they get good crowds. we need to think the big picture and not one bad year. without upgrades, to compete, what do you expect????he gave you a miracle last year---or is it"what have you done for me lately". much of our "fan base " is casual and think that su is more recognized than it really is.he has an uphill battle as it is and we need to back him up.

I can top 1962 -- saw Jim Brown play when I was a kid. The second half yesterday was disappointing; special team play is as bad as ever. Also disappointing, the absence of playmakers other than GROB's carry-over guys who have had very decent years and gave everything they had (Bailey, Chew, Provo, and Nassib). Going 0 for November is going to upset the fans.
But the more important measure of Doug's progress will be how he closes the recruiting class in the next two months; then how he rebuilds the offense in the Spring without Bailey. Maybe people did not see the drop-off in LB talent; or how few playmakers we have at this point. The team did not force fumbles or get interceptions or put much pressure on opposing QBs. Need to improve in several areas, and it comes right down to recruiting.

disagree totally---we need to demonstrate our committment to him as he has done to to syracuse and back him up. let see --he takes su out of the abyss last year and goes to bowl and wins it. has bad year this year and the fairweather fan base is ready to bail. at the risk of repeating myself,i have been going to games since 1960 ,stop jumping the ship, and give the guy the support he needs.

So saying wait on an extension is jumping ship?

Not calling for his head, but your post, and a few other posters in this thread, made me vomit.

Maybe all the "right" people are the wrong people.

They got it wrong with GRob.

They apparently got it wrong with Marrone.

Pasqualoni of all people is winning games.

These are the "right" people? Remember the big sell job we all got? Led by the now-disgraced Tim Green. The BS and "binders" brigade. Where are all those clowns today?

I don't have any inside information, nor am I rubbing elbows with the people who do, but I agree that Marrone is not going anywhere for a couple years. Last year was such a miracle, he got 2-3 extra years for that alone.We all knew we were going to be 6-6 this year, but nobody expected it would go down like this. And the move to the ACC, you don't want to start that with a new staff.

One person in this thread predicts he will get 3 more tries and has not used up his first try yet. So, are you saying Marrone could go 6-6 for 12 years until he had a real chance of being fired? Really?! His luncheons are that good?

I just don't get why the apologists and people with inside information have to rub in that Marrone, despite whatever GRobesque egg he lays on any given Saturday, is not going anywhere. Is being right, being an insider, that much more important than expressing how much this brand of football sucks? People seem to revel in the opinion that this meathead will leave on "his terms". HIS terms?!? After these stinkers? The senate just voted themselves another pay raise!!

Homers with blinders and i have supported this program through thick and thin. Doug needs to win next year and show progress as a leader. His team is horrible. His recruiting is suspect at best. His life program has not transfered to the field with too many mistakes and penalties. The team is split. These are facts and you dont not reward this. I mean how can you hold the kids to a standard that you dont hold your coach to. He is not getting it done this year. Next year is a clean slate. Doug has lost all of his chips. Everything rides on next year. Trust me if we have another year like this one and by that i mean a team that doesnt improve during the season. A team that quits. A team that has no discipline. Doug will be fired count on it.

I agree with the premise that the job becomes more attractive after we move to the ACC. No way in hell that DG fires DM before we complete that move. If all goes according to plan we make the move for the 2014 season which coincides with the decision on whether to offer him an extension or not. Assuming we continuie to struggle the next two years, you can still give him a one year extension to get through your first season in the ACC.

One thing's for certain, we sure as hey are going to have to step it up when we make the switch. If you're consistently losing to UConn, USF etc. you're most certainly not going to be beating UVA, GT, NCSt., or BC let alone Fla. St., Miami, VTech and Clemson.

Put me in the seriously concerned camp at this point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom