Greenberg on ESPN right now, has us losing to Duke and VA... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Greenberg on ESPN right now, has us losing to Duke and VA...

this is getting ridiculous.

I mean, maybe we will lose at UVa, but the Cavs getting a #1 seed? Seriously? Has a 1-seed ever lost to a non-tourney team by 35+?

Sorry to not clarify, he said Duke would get a NCAA 1 seed, not sure that will happen, but whatever.

our depth isnt a problem if baye is healthy. ill go to war with these 7 anytime

ennis
cooney
xmas
grant
cj
baye
silent g

Right 7 guys but you have enough flexibility to move them around.
2 centers (Rak/Baye)
3 forwards (Cj/Grant/G)
3 guards (Ennis, Cooney, G)
Plus Jerami can be the emergency center

Some of you are acting like the possibility of losing both of these games is non-existent. Newsflash: it isn't, and certainly wouldn't shock me. On the road against two quality ACC teams? Good grief. It's not like he predicted we'd lose at home to BC and Va Tech.

These will be very tough games. Finishing the regular season with just two losses? Incredible. Don't care where or when they came.

Greenburg jumped off the SU bandwagon after the close wins over Pitt and NC St. Now he thinks we're overrated. But every other team has close wins also. They just weren't as dramatic or in the spotlight which is what happens to the #1 ranked team. For example:
UVA -- 3 close wins: SMU by 3, Pitt by 3 on a buzzer beater, Clemson by 5 (in a game that went to the last minute).

Duke -- 3 close wins: Vermont by 1, UVA by 4, Maryland by 2 (and MD's last shot rimmed out).

Florida-- 3 close wins: Florida St by 1, Memphis by 2, Arkansas by 2 in OT.

Every highly ranked team has some close wins...I'm not looking up all of them but you get the point.

I know its considered a weakness that rather than lose these close games like everyone else we won them. :crazy:

I would be shocked if we lost to UVA, if we didn't lose to Pitt either time, no way UVA beats us playing the same style.

We just won the games vs Pitt. That style was pretty successful against us. Not sure how you can be shocked if we lose to a similar style team who is playing much better than Pitt right now.

Certainly I believe we can and will win, because we are just good at winning. But there is decent chances we lose, and the Pitt game only goes to support that style can keep it close.

I just don't understand your logic. Virginia is better than Pitt.

I don't see someone predicting us losing at Duke and Virginia as ridiculous. But if we take care of the rest of our business, we are fine with #1 seed.

We'll definitely be an underdog at Duke and probably at UVA. We're suppose to lose those 2 games.

If UVA beats us AND gets a number one NCAA seed because of it, I will shovel JoeCollege's driveway the rest of the winter. And I'm telling you right now that ain't happening.

I love Greeney, but he's trolling in hyperbole again. The only people who we need to worry about are the Selection Committee and what they think. We drop two or three games the rest of the way, I still don't see them giving up our #1 seed. If we beat Duke at Cameron, or even just drop a close one, we are a lock for a #1 as long as we finish up the regular season strong. UVA can't touch a #1 seed. A meteor would have to take out SU and Duke for them to sniff one.

You don't need to shovel my driveway, but I'll keep on plowing your mom.

The thing with these talking heads on TV is, they're playing the odds. The odds are Syracuse will lose one of these games- we've been dancing with lady luck quite a bit lately, and she's a fickle dance partner. We've gotten some calls that, when we get down to the actual real estate of Tobacco Road, we may not get. We're tired. We're good, but maybe not as good as we show. I wouldn't be shocked or distraught over a loss to the 'Hoos, to Douche, or both. I don't want a loss at all, at least until sometime in 2015, but odds are, we'll lose. I just don't want the last game we play this year- whenever it is- to be a loss.

Greeney and a large number of the blowhards on TV are trying to get on the train for a loss before it happens so they can boost their Q ratings and make themselves look smart. Nothing to lose. If they're wrong, they can just say SU really IS a good team and blah, blah, blah.

I can see UVA getting a 1 seed in the ACC tourney with a win and us also losing to Douche, but not in the tourney.

Winning the Duke game would (almost) be as satisfying as winning the NC. Almost. Tobacco Road would be in a frenzy. Might be worth a trip to Raleigh to stand on a street corner and watch people jump off buildings. The streets would be littered.

Excuse me. A large percentage (too large).

That's called the fallacy of composition, or. "What's true in general is not always true in the specific, and what's true in the specific is not always true in general." In other words, you're taking multiple post from a relatively fecund minority and attributing them to the board in general. I find a large percentage of the fans here to be relatively intelligent basketball observers.

Greenburg jumped off the SU bandwagon after the close wins over Pitt and NC St. Now he thinks we're overrated. But every other team has close wins also. They just weren't as dramatic or in the spotlight which is what happens to the #1 ranked team. For example:
UVA -- 3 close wins: SMU by 3, Pitt by 3 on a buzzer beater, Clemson by 5 (in a game that went to the last minute).

Duke -- 3 close wins: Vermont by 1, UVA by 4, Maryland by 2 (and MD's last shot rimmed out).

Florida-- 3 close wins: Florida St by 1, Memphis by 2, Arkansas by 2 in OT.

Every highly ranked team has some close wins...I'm not looking up all of them but you get the point.

Talking heads get paid to talk. It's all part of the process. Check the length of this thread, for example. The media doesn't care what people talk about, just as long as they're talking. :)

Well, in my honest opinion, we ARE vulnerable... as is everyone else. Let's face it. JB is right. A few bounces here, luck there, and we are 25-0. We just as easily could be 23-2... proving Seth right. Furthermore, if say Duke, Arizona, et. al were in similar positions, I guarantee this board would be saying the same thing Seth and ESPN are.

As for the #1 seed, one would think at 29-2 we would be a LOCK, but I'm not exactly sold. Say we do lose to Virginia and Duke and either of them win out. They (rightfully should) jump us. I just don't see having lost two games down the stretch or even three (ACC tourney) why we should be ahead of the more recent success.
We would have 3 losses, they would both have 5, and our two would be on the road to top 15 opponents. It wouldn't be rightfully.

UVA fan here. Just wanted to congratulate you on an excellent season so far. I can't wait for the UVA-Cuse game. I don't see how UVA has any chance at a 1 seed in the NCAAs. We just have too many losses particularly in the non conference and not enough quality wins. I think a 2 seed is our ceiling and would require winning out imo. I think we end up as a 3-4 seed. I think a 3 seed in Raleigh would actually be what I would most want. I hope you guys are undefeated headed into March 1st. Good luck the rest of the way

UVA fan here. Just wanted to congratulate you on an excellent season so far. I can't wait for the UVA-Cuse game. I don't see how UVA has any chance at a 1 seed in the NCAAs. We just have too many losses particularly in the non conference and not enough quality wins. I think a 2 seed is our ceiling and would require winning out imo. I think we end up as a 3-4 seed. I think a 3 seed in Raleigh would actually be what I would most want. I hope you guys are undefeated headed into March 1st. Good luck the rest of the way

Ah, it's the orange thing, isn't it? Haha! Anyway man, thanks, and good luck RBAY.

My son lives in Virginia (Ashland). Where are you located?

Both teams have different goals right now.

Syracuse #1 and MSG
Virginia the ACC title.

Syracuse can lose the March 1 game and still easily get it.
Virginia loses that March 1 game and it becomes tough for them.

Either way its great that we have this huge game against someone other than Duke. I don't think many of us expected Virginia to be such an important game back in late December.

At the minimum it provides for a nice short term rivalry, when SU fans were looking for someone other than Duke and UNC.

Right 7 guys but you have enough flexibility to move them around.
2 centers (Rak/Baye)
3 forwards (Cj/Grant/G)
3 guards (Ennis, Cooney, G)
Plus Jerami can be the emergency center
...and Rak can play the four with Baye in the middle.

I just wish JB had more trust in a few of the young guys earlier in the year. Playing Roberson, for example, 5-8 minutes in meaningful games would have payed huge dividends going forward.

for the love of God... nothing to see here. Move along.

Ignore anything and everything. We get it already... most people are betting against us.

The players should have already enough ammo to last them a decade of "motivation"

Both teams have different goals right now.

Syracuse #1 and MSG
Virginia the ACC title.

Syracuse can lose the March 1 game and still easily get it.
Virginia loses that March 1 game and it becomes tough for them.

Either way its great that we have this huge game against someone other than Duke. I don't think many of us expected Virginia to be such an important game back in late December.

At the minimum it provides for a nice short term rivalry, when SU fans were looking for someone other than Duke and UNC.

Agreed. The different goals reflect different traditions. We've had some success in the 80s but it's been a long time since we really had any success in basketball. Our previous coaches really put this program in a tailspin and it's taken Bennett some time to get it back to respectability.

The ACC title would be nice but it doesn't mean that much to me because of the unbalanced schedule. It means something because it's still 18 games but it doesn't mean what it used to. The ACCT should be amazing though. I know people point to UVA having an easy ACC schedule and that's a fair criticism but 1) it's not our fault and 2) most of our tough ACC opponents that we played once were on the road. We don't get an opportunity to play Duke or Pitt at home where we would probably be favored in both. I would much rather play teams like UNC, Duke and Cuse twice because that's how your team gets better. Hopefully, we'll be provided those opportunities more often in future years.

"I just wish JB had more trust in a few of the young guys earlier in the year. Playing Roberson, for example, 5-8 minutes in meaningful games would have payed huge dividends going forward."

The problem is most of our meaningful games have been close. To paraphrase JB ,'Which game(s) would you have us lose so TR could get some experience?'

...and Rak can play the four with Baye in the middle.

I just wish JB had more trust in a few of the young guys earlier in the year. Playing Roberson, for example, 5-8 minutes in meaningful games would have payed huge dividends going forward.

He could, yes, but that's not really our strongest lineup. Consider that the defense, with the regularly improving Rak and the durable and dedicated Baye in the middle are its anchor. Playing that lineup would also mean that one of either CJ or JG is not playing, which is less than optimal with Rak out of position.

Agreed. The different goals reflect different traditions.

I didn't mean it from that tradition perspective or to slam your standing as a program. I looked at it as what teams can aim for this year in the regular season.

Syracuse's OOC play opened up options for us (as well as the perfect regional). Virginia's OOC closed doors for them. Both teams may be close to equal on the floor now.

My issue is that if it were Duke that was unbeaten all the anaylist would have them going undefeated in the ACC and probably the big dance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom