Greenberg on ESPN right now, has us losing to Duke and VA... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Greenberg on ESPN right now, has us losing to Duke and VA...

Seth Greenberg loves Syracuse. He's go to do something like this, every once in a while, to make people think he's unbiased.

That's called the fallacy of composition, or. "What's true in general is not always true in the specific, and what's true in the specific is not always true in general." In other words, you're taking multiple post from a relatively fecund minority and attributing them to the board in general. I find a large percentage of the fans here to be relatively intelligent basketball observers.

Yeah, it's also known as the availability heuristic. Thanks for the lesson.

Intelligence and Inferiority Complex can go hand in hand. Has nothing to do with intelligence. The vibe I get from many on this board (not all) is that we feel like we are destined to lose and do not deserve our 25-0 record. That's not intelligence, that's a losing state of mind. You don't become dumber by changing your mindset to "luck comes to good teams" and "we deserve our 25-0 record and there is no reason we can't go undefeated if we give it our best effort".

Intelligence and Inferiority Complex can go hand in hand. Has nothing to do with intelligence. The vibe I get from many on this board (not all) is that we feel like we are destined to lose and do not deserve our 25-0 record. That's not intelligence, that's a losing state of mind. You don't become dumber by changing your mindset to "luck comes to good teams" and "we deserve our 25-0 record and there is no reason we can't go undefeated if we give it our best effort".

I don't think that they feel that the record isn't deserved, its more the destined to lose thing. We have played with fire several times this year, one of these days we are going to get burned.

I think that is definitely true situationally on this forum. Not sure if it applied to "many," but definitely to some. Some posters seem so intent upon protecting themselves from eventual disappointment that they predict negative outcomes in advance, as a way to insulate themselves from the disappointment that eventually comes with losing.

For some fans, guarding against the potential for letdown seems more important than enjoying the ride.

Last edited:
you mean they didnt hand out #1 seeds with the feb 17th rankings??

we have to actually play and win the games that end on march 16th???

this is Fn bullspit.

somebody get an internet petition going.

thatll show em!!!!!

"I just wish JB had more trust in a few of the young guys earlier in the year. Playing Roberson, for example, 5-8 minutes in meaningful games would have payed huge dividends going forward."

The problem is most of our meaningful games have been close. To paraphrase JB ,'Which game(s) would you have us lose so TR could get some experience?'
One could argue that going undefeated in March is more meaningful than going undefeated in January.

He could, yes, but that's not really our strongest lineup. Consider that the defense, with the regularly improving Rak and the durable and dedicated Baye in the middle are its anchor. Playing that lineup would also mean that one of either CJ or JG is not playing, which is less than optimal with Rak out of position.
I wasn't suggesting that this was a "preferred" line up but rather an emergency option similar to Grant playing the middle.

I would be shocked if we lost to UVA, if we didn't lose to Pitt either time, no way UVA beats us playing the same style.

I will admit I don't totally follow this; think about how close we were to losing @Pitt. Now, because Tyler made an incredible shot, there's no way we lose to a team that is better than Pitt, in their building?

Most likely scenario with the 2 tough road games is we split them. It doesn't work this way, but if I could pick 1 to win, it's definitely @UVA. That one nearly locks up the league.

Man-oh-man... Damn the day someone says something bad about Syracuse. Some fans on this board are seriously wound too tightly.

"OH MY GOD...I was listening to the Digger & Podunk show on an ESPN affiliate in Goober Nebraska and they said Syracuse plays a YMCA rec league zone defense. HOW DARE THEY!"

WELL??? How dare they!!!!!

That's called the fallacy of composition, or. "What's true in general is not always true in the specific, and what's true in the specific is not always true in general." In other words, you're taking multiple post from a relatively fecund minority and attributing them to the board in general. I find a large percentage of the fans here to be relatively intelligent basketball observers.

I like the word "fecund". Please try to use it more.

Yeah, we can be a bit insecure, from time to time. Most of us still aren't completely over '87 yet. It was so within reach, and then it was vapor ... Just say "Keith Smart" with an SU fan within earshot. The reaction is palpable, if not visceral, myself included. :)

Unless we play considerably better than we did against NST, I see us going at best 4-2 in our last 6 games. I would not be shocked at 3-3 or 2-4. Playing Maryland two days after Duke is going to be a major problem. We struggled with Notre Dame and that was at home and Maryland is a better team. At Virginia and Florida State are also problems. I have a lot of confidence in this team, but playing this many tough games on the road at this time of year, doesn't bode well. I believe we lost 5 of 6 last year and went into the Big East tournament reeling and ended up going to the final four.

I have Greenberg picking us to lose at Duke and at Virginia. Given his history of Syracuse, does anyone think that is likely?

Got to look at the losses as well.Duke has 5 losses already and virginia 4, and one of them will lose in the acc tournament putting duke at 6 losses or UVA at 5. Even if we we do get to 3 losses(one in the acc tournament). Thats a big difference.

UVA and Duke both have had some close wins recently as well but, VA did not play @ Duke, @ Syracuse or @ UNC the other top three teams in the ACC. We play @ duke and @Virginia.

Last edited:
Most likely scenario with the 2 tough road games is we split them. It doesn't work this way, but if I could pick 1 to win, it's definitely @UVA. That one nearly locks up the league.

I actually have the exact opposite pick. I would much rather beat Duke at Cameron. That would almost lock up the top #1 seed.

If we lose to Virginia, all that does is give them the top seed in the ACC tourney, which they have to win to beat us for the title. And I like our chances to win that tourney on a neutral floor. For regular season bragging rights, we would have the same conference record.

I actually have the exact opposite pick. I would much rather beat Duke at Cameron. That would almost lock up the top #1 seed.

If we lose to Virginia, all that does is give them the top seed in the ACC tourney, which they have to win to beat us for the title. And I like our chances to win that tourney on a neutral floor. For regular season bragging rights, we would have the same conference record.

I think winning the ACC regular season would also lock up a #1 seed. I think realistically, winning either game would lock up a 1, but i wouldn't mind taking the regular season title as well.

I will also be at the UVA game and not the Duke game, so that might have something to do with it.

I think winning the ACC regular season would also lock up a #1 seed. I think realistically, winning either game would lock up a 1, but i wouldn't mind taking the regular season title as well.
I suppose you're right that a win in either game, with no What losses gets us the top seed.

I guess I just don't want Duke to have the chance to beat us 2 of 3 our first year in the league. We will have our share of regular season/tournament success in the ACC, but that first season should send a message that we are second to no one.

War Damn Otto!!

If those comments means hating on the Cuse, then JB hates on the Cuse. JB has been saying for some time that we are good, but not as good as our record. In several (4-5) of our games, a couple of balls bounce the other way and our last minute heroics would not have produced a win. That's not hating, or negativity. That's reality.

Incidentally, Greenburg also said that JB is the best coach in the country in terms of end-of-game strategy. That's not hating either. That's reality.
I don't think that is what JB said. He said we could have easily lost 4 or 5 games but I never heard him say that we were not as good as out record. I think you may have just inferred that.

I have Greenberg picking us to lose at Duke and at Virginia. Given his history of Syracuse, does anyone think that is likely?

Got to look at the losses as well.Duke has 5 losses already and virginia 4, and one of them will lose in the acc tournament putting duke at 6 losses or UVA at 5. Even if we we do get to 3 losses(one in the acc tournament). Thats a big difference.

UVA and Duke both have had some close wins recently as well but, VA did not play @ Duke, @ Syracuse or @ UNC the other top three teams in the ACC. We play @ duke and @Virginia.

We did play @Duke. We lost by 4. We took the lead with around a minute left but Sulaimon hit a "lucky" 3 to basically win it. We won @Pitt as well. I would love to play @UNC. We crushed them by 15 at UVA and we were up over 20 most of that second half. We just match up really well with UNC. We would most likely beat Duke and Pitt at home, although that's not guaranteed. The biggest break we got in scheduling is not going to Cuse. I think we can all agree that the unbalanced scheduling sucks

I will repeat what I said in the other thread. Give us a 3 seed in the east and Buffalo. Let the talking heads enjoy their circle full of saying we aren't this or aren't that.

We out executed nearly every team we have beaten in our close games. Duke had to hit 15 3's and whine about a good call. Pittsburgh should have been charged with battery a couple times let alone a larger number of fouls yet we out executed them to win anyways. The only game we legitimately stole was NC State. And that was a matter of excellent defensive execution. But let them him and haw all day.

you mean they didnt hand out #1 seeds with the feb 17th rankings??

we have to actually play and win the games that end on march 16th???

this is Fn bullspit.

somebody get an internet petition going.

thatll show em!!!!!

I think an e-card would be more appropriate for a situation like this. They seem to be all the rage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom