Greetings from Mikulov, Czech Republic | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Greetings from Mikulov, Czech Republic

for me paris was just ok,but that is just me. most people i know Love paris. just seemed like a big city ---however i did appreciate the river tour and the architecture. i totally agree with with your last sentence---nice easy feel there.

I guess I can understand not liking Paris. It’s crowded, they speak a strange language, have strange customs and the residents are to the rest of France like NYC residents are to the rest of the US. And these days you can actually get a pretty pedestrian meal there, if you eat where the tourists dine. And some pretty dodgy neighborhoods have developed including a lot along the train route from CDG Airport to the center of the City.

But if you can look beyond these surface things to the beauty and history of the place you can see what those among us that love the place concentrate on. I get there a lot. My middle son lives there. Every time I leave, I am saddened that this might have been my last trip there.

The only place I have ever been pick-pocketed was in Barcelona. And the diversion they used was so clever, that I almost didn't mind. I hated they took my money, but I marveled at the professionalism. I considered the loss as low cost tuition. Don't travel in Europe without a money belt. Keep your passport in the hotel safe.

I guess I can understand not liking Paris. It’s crowded, they speak a strange language, have strange customs and the residents are to the rest of France like NYC residents are to the rest of the US. And these days you can actually get a pretty pedestrian meal there, if you eat where the tourists dine. And some pretty dodgy neighborhoods have developed including a lot along the train route from CDG Airport to the center of the City.

But if you can look beyond these surface things to the beauty and history of the place you can see what those among us that love the place concentrate on. I get there a lot. My middle son lives there. Every time I leave, I am saddened that this might have been my last trip there.

The only place I have ever been pick-pocketed was in Barcelona. And the diversion they used was so clever, that I almost didn't mind. I hated they took my money, but I marveled at the professionalism. I considered the loss as low cost tuition. Don't travel in Europe without a money belt. Keep your passport in the hotel safe.

Yes, keep your passport in the hotel safe. I carry a copy of it though. I hate money belts. I do have a vest that I wear with an inside pocket that has a zipper so it gives you the same protection. As far as security in Eastern Europe, I have not felt threatened as in other places. Of course, I don't linger at bus or train stations. They are easy places to be marked.

i did use a money belt the kind that prevents scanning credit cards, made copy of my passport to carry with me, left wallet and passport in hotel safe. its great that u get to paris often, if i had more time there i sure i would grow to appreciate it more. based on bill oranges posts i will definitely want to visit krakow. vienna and brussels are on my list. i wish i could find the chech beer i liked in pa.they had had much better beer than i had at octoberfest in munich.
best coffee i had on my limited trip was in france. we were bayeux, paris and one other small hamlet. my wife now heats up cream for her coffee like they over there.

i did use a money belt the kind that prevents scanning credit cards, made copy of my passport to carry with me, left wallet and passport in hotel safe. its great that u get to paris often, if i had more time there i sure i would grow to appreciate it more. based on bill oranges posts i will definitely want to visit krakow. vienna and brussels are on my list. i wish i could find the chech beer i liked in pa.they had had much better beer than i had at octoberfest in munich.
best coffee i had on my limited trip was in france. we were bayeux, paris and one other small hamlet. my wife now heats up cream for her coffee like they over there.

Tip, if you don't have one now, get a Nespresso machine with the milk frothing device. You'll think you are in Europe.

You probably know there's a huge regional difference in German beers. The beer they have in Munich is different from what you get in Northern Germany which is more likely to be dry, crisp and refreshing.

American, of course, drink a lot of beer, especially Miller Light and it's cousins. But we don't come close to the German beer culture.

Tip, if you don't have one now, get a Nespresso machine with the milk frothing device. You'll think you are in Europe.

You probably know there's a huge regional difference in German beers. The beer they have in Munich is different from what you get in Northern Germany which is more likely to be dry, crisp and refreshing.

American, of course, drink a lot of beer, especially Miller Light and it's cousins. But we don't come close to the German beer culture.
you just gave me my wifes christmas present!!!!!doing a search for it now--thanks,by the way i did not know about the german beer culture, haven't traveled that much.thanks for that info as well

you just gave me my wifes christmas present!!!!!doing a search for it now--thanks,by the way i did not know about the german beer culture, haven't traveled that much.thanks for that info as well

You probably want a Nespresso Citiz & Milk Espresso Maker. Or a Prodigio & Milk Silver. The only place I have seen them discounted is at Williams-Sonoma Outlet stores.

Don’t confuse the Nespresso with Keurig machines which also utilize capsules, but which produce sub-standard coffee.

The coffee here is far superior to the US. Something else that I have never seen in the US drinking chocolate. That stuff is so darn good. It rates up there with the beer. Another thing is the duvets that they put on beds. How practical they are.

Here today in Czech Republic it is a national Holiday as it is the anniversary of the Velvet Revolution. After being in the crowds and seeing what I have seen in the past three weeks, we are very spoiled in the US. Hell, our independence day is an after thought it seems compared to this. We cook hamburgers and they have hundreds of thousands in their public squares here. it was amazing hearing every church bell ring in Prague this afternoon. Oh, that's over one hundred Catholic churches. Just impressive. Beer will be flowing into the wee hours tonight.

The coffee here is far superior to the US. Something else that I have never seen in the US drinking chocolate. That stuff is so darn good. It rates up there with the beer. Another thing is the duvets that they put on beds. How practical they are.

Here today in Czech Republic it is a national Holiday as it is the anniversary of the Velvet Revolution. After being in the crowds and seeing what I have seen in the past three weeks, we are very spoiled in the US. Hell, our independence day is an after thought it seems compared to this. We cook hamburgers and they have hundreds of thousands in their public squares here. it was amazing hearing every church bell ring in Prague this afternoon. Oh, that's over one hundred Catholic churches. Just impressive. Beer will be flowing into the wee hours tonight.

There's a tendency as Americans to think that everything we have is better and everything we do is done the right way.

The average European lives in a smaller house or apartment, drives a smaller car and has fewer material "things". They have far fewer clothes and even if they had more, there's no closets to hang the stuff up in.

But there's an argument that they have a simpler, higher-quality life style.

You probably want a Nespresso Citiz & Milk Espresso Maker. Or a Prodigio & Milk Silver. The only place I have seen them discounted is at Williams-Sonoma Outlet stores.

Don’t confuse the Nespresso with Keurig machines which also utilize capsules, but which produce sub-standard coffee.
thanks much

bill, i anxiously await your next installment of your wonderful tour!!! i enjoy reading your impressions good bad or indifferent!!!! its a wonderful diversion from all the chaos of the election

I spent a week in Prague this summer. Other than the Beer (which is AMAZING) I thought the entire town to be beh... WAY too many tourists. I wish I would have visiting other areas in the CR, I feel like I would have liked those areas much more.

I've been to Bavaria many times, and even the beer you get in Munich vastly differs from what you get only a few dozen KM away. The beer garden culture cannot be beat.

Alt Bier in Dusseldorf is very good and is worth a trip.

Many Americans are unable to break away from what they have been told is important. They can't come home without saying they have been through the Louvre (The world's most over-hyped place) or have seen the Coliseum in Rome. (The best Roman ruins I have seen are in the south of France)

I will differ on Paris, my favorite place. There just isn't any city that can compare. History, architecture, boulevards, parks, art, food, wine, shopping, vibrancy. It's busy, but not like Rome. The French have the quality of life thing figured out.
I think you guys are off base on Americans in Prague. I was there about 20 years ago when they were just independent but not yet a recognized economy. As a result, there was no fixed exchange rate and the since it was prior to the formation of the EU, I think I spent $15 a night on a hotel suite, and the Pilsners we all loved were like $.15 each. As such, I think the city's population is like 30-35% American expatriates

bill, i anxiously await your next installment of your wonderful tour!!! i enjoy reading your impressions good bad or indifferent!!!! its a wonderful diversion from all the chaos of the election

Tip, I am still in Prague. I will be here for another 6 days. The wife and I bought a 3 day tram pass today. It is so easy to get around here. Even the subways. It rained so we didn't leave the hotel until about 11. We had lunch and a beer then did some walking and took some pictures. We stopped at a pub called Jo's as my wife had to do what men seem to be able to put off for a much longer time. Guys bladders are stronger I think. Anyway, she was in the WC and I at the bar. I could not believe it when there at the back of the bar was a bottle of Seagram's 7. They even had ginger ale. I was n heaven so I ordered us both a shot on the rocks with some ginger ale. Ahh! Just like home! Now I am back at our hotel to follow the game.

I think you guys are off base on Americans in Prague. I was there about 20 years ago when they were just independent but not yet a recognized economy. As a result, there was no fixed exchange rate and the since it was prior to the formation of the EU, I think I spent $15 a night on a hotel suite, and the Pilsners we all loved were like $.15 each. As such, I think the city's population is like 30-35% American expatriates

I disagree big time.

Seems the EU affect has knocked down the American expat population. The city has about 1.25 million people and about 7k documented American expats.

I disagree big time.
As I said, I was there in early 1996. In 2006 their visa rules changed dramatically and affected the expat population. In the mean time the city has grown.

You are 8 hours ahead of us. Do you know where Quade has signed?

I spent a week in Prague this summer. Other than the Beer (which is AMAZING) I thought the entire town to be beh... WAY too many tourists. I wish I would have visiting other areas in the CR, I feel like I would have liked those areas much more.
I can understand that. Summer in Europe is much like summer anyplace else. That is when families go on vacation. It is much better in the fall, but the weather isn't perfect either. Of course, Cool weather makes coffee and drinking chocolate much better. Also, for anyone who has visited Prague and I feel it is the most beautiful city I have ever seen, check out Krakow, Poland. It is much smaller than Prague, but it is equally as nice. I do think it is much more friendly to Americans also. The Poles love Americans for obvious reasons.

You are 8 hours ahead of us. Do you know where Quade has signed?
I wish I could. Actually, I am only 6 hours ahead. I heard that the University of Prague made him an offer! He turned it down as he can't dribble in Czech!

Say you had 6 days and spent 4 days in Prague. Where would you (conveniently) go for the other 2? Or what reasonable day trips are there from Prague?

Say you had 6 days and spent 4 days in Prague. Where would you (conveniently) go for the other 2? Or what reasonable day trips are there from Prague?
Terezin, Czech Republic. One hour from Prague. It is a walled city from 1778 I believe. The Nazis moved all citizens out and made it into a concentration camp. There is also a Gestapo interrogation place at the small fortress there. Another place is Kutna Hora. A small town about an hour by bus. It is home of the bone church. This church is built completely of Human bones. There is much to see in Prague. If you are a photography nut, you will be in heaven. Great night pictures. Lots of Commie and Nazi stuff. The beer, oh the beer!

Terezin, Czech Republic. One hour from Prague. It is a walled city from 1778 I believe. The Nazis moved all citizens out and made it into a concentration camp. There is also a Gestapo interrogation place at the small fortress there. Another place is Kutna Hora. A small town about an hour by bus. It is home of the bone church. This church is built completely of Human bones. There is much to see in Prague. If you are a photography nut, you will be in heaven. Great night pictures. Lots of Commie and Nazi stuff. The beer, oh the beer!
Thanks. Can't do creepy Nazi and bone stuff.

Thanks. Can't do creepy Nazi and bone stuff.
I can understand that for sure. I loathe Nazis. Bones are bones. It is pretty creepy though. I do like the history of the second world war. We were at Auschwitz in Poland a ten days ago I think. Talk about creepy. It was something I had to see. It is now a state museum and a memorial to the people who died there. Trust me on Prague, you will love it here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom