Greetings from Mikulov, Czech Republic | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Greetings from Mikulov, Czech Republic

Thanks. Can't do creepy Nazi and bone stuff.
Also, Dresden, Germany is only a couple hours. Less by train. We had planned to go there, but not sure now. Dresden was part of old East Germany.

I disagree big time.
Also, Dresden, Germany is only a couple hours. Less by train. We had planned to go there, but not sure now. Dresden was part of old East Germany.

Lots of Dresden was destroyed in WWII. Then, under the Commies, much of the new construction was Soviet-style housing blocks. The area near the River still has some beautiful buildings. But it's not much of a tourist destination.

Germany reminds most Americans of the US at first. Except it's populated by Germans, who are fastidiously clean, keep their cities and everything in good condition and generally obey all the rules.

Lots of Dresden was destroyed in WWII. Then, under the Commies, much of the new construction was Soviet-style housing blocks. The area near the River still has some beautiful buildings. But it's not much of a tourist destination.

Germany reminds most Americans of the US at first. Except it's populated by Germans, who are fastidiously clean, keep their cities and everything in good condition and generally obey all the rules.
The son of a friend of mine, lives in Dresden. Originally we planned to go there, but we are flying out of Prague on Thanksgiving and I really want to hang around Prague for the remaining time we are here. It is just so damned beautiful. My granddaughter Libby who is 8 and a little princess would love this city and fit right in. I mean, this whole city looks like a beautiful giant wedding cake. There is no way to describe it.

i noticed a very large jim beam presence there. as a bourbon drinker i was surprised by that. i stuck to the beer though, as it was so good
they have one of the best public transportation i have seen. granted i am not a world traveler, but it was impressive to me. u needed several of the seagrams to handle that game. oh well,i hope he recruits well

I can understand that for sure. I loathe Nazis. Bones are bones. It is pretty creepy though. I do like the history of the second world war. We were at Auschwitz in Poland a ten days ago I think. Talk about creepy. It was something I had to see. It is now a state museum and a memorial to the people who died there. Trust me on Prague, you will love it here.
we visited dachau, which in comparison was walk in the park in relation to auschwitz. i love hx as well but those places really brings home how barbaric we can be.

we visited dachau, which in comparison was walk in the park in relation to auschwitz. i love hx as well but those places really brings home how barbaric we can be.
Yes, after visiting Auschwitz, Wolf's Lair, The Warsaw Ghetto, Shindler's Factory and Terezine, and there were many others, you are absolutely correct how barbaric humans can be. Of course, the Nazis took barbaric to new levels.

We went to mass this morning at the Basilica of the assumption of our Lady. The church was wonderful. The pipe organ in the church was actually played by Mozart in 1787. After Mass, we walked more of Prague.

Old Town Square was wonderful today. The sun was out and in the 50's. Thousands of people there. Lots of street performers too. Some funny, some talented and some train wrecks too. I love the living statues.

We had paninnis for lunch with lots of Pilsner Urquell. We walked over the Charles Bridge at sunset and caught the tram up to our hotel. Now, we are planning dinner. Prague has some wonderful restaurants.

Tonight we are going to the opera to see Don Giovanni. We are seeing it at the opera house in Prague where Mozart directed and premiered it in 1797. If that doesn't give you goose bumps, nothing will.

Finishing your trip in Prague was a good choice. It has an old european feel to it because it was relatively untouched by WWII bombings. I don't know why Germany didn't destroy this city but I'm happy they left it alone. (My father was a navigator on the B-24 bomber during WWII and he used to fly right over Prague on his missions to bomb german targets). Much of what you see when touring the city is approaching 1000 years old. I hope the rest of your trip is great. Happy Thanksgiving!!

Finishing your trip in Prague was a good choice. It has an old european feel to it because it was relatively untouched by WWII bombings. I don't know why Germany didn't destroy this city but I'm happy they left it alone. (My father was a navigator on the B-24 bomber during WWII and he used to fly right over Prague on his missions to bomb german targets). Much of what you see when touring the city is approaching 1000 years old. I hope the rest of your trip is great. Happy Thanksgiving!!
Yes, Prague was untouched. Hitler was going to make it a museum about the exterminated race or Jewish citizens. Hitler, was the worst of the worst for sure. You have a wonderful Thanksgiving too. Unfortunately, I will be spending Thanksgiving at 39,000 feet out over the Atlantic.

Yes, Prague was untouched. Hitler was going to make it a museum about the exterminated race or Jewish citizens. Hitler, was the worst of the worst for sure. You have a wonderful Thanksgiving too. Unfortunately, I will be spending Thanksgiving at 39,000 feet out over the Atlantic.
glad u had great trip.wonder if they will serve turkey on your flight.

Thanks to all for your input while I explored eastern Europe. It made me miss home less. Thanks! Everyone have a wonderful Thanksgiving. See you on the flip side.
Bill

Thanks to all for your input while I explored eastern Europe. It made me miss home less. Thanks! Everyone have a wonderful Thanksgiving. See you on the flip side.
Bill
be safe happy thanksgiving

be safe happy thanksgiving
Thanks Tip! Home now. We were the last plane into Syracuse last night. Kind of funny as the plane from Toronto had eighteen seats. Nine down one side and nine down the other. Not a jet either. I was kind of glad they didn't cancel the flight as there were only 4 passengers. I don't think we were in the air 30 minutes. It was funny as we were getting ready to take off, the co-pilot gave instructions like this. He said and I quote, "The exits are over here and back there. There is a lavatory back there and if you need anything or have a question, just come up to the cockpit as there is no door. Have a nice flight". We were also the last flight into Hancock. Air Canada anyone?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom