Greg Robinson didn't do much for Syracuse | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Greg Robinson didn't do much for Syracuse

It is time to let go of this thread. There is no reason in Year Four of the Doug Marrone Era -- with SU poised to accept its second bowl bid in three years and entry into the ACC barely six months in the future -- for a thread heading bearing the name "Greg Robinson" to be at the top of the SU Football forum at SyracuseFan.com!

Seniors are suppose to be your core. It happens that five years ago GROB was the coach. So it makes sense that our core players are GROB recruits. However, his problem was that he couldn't get enough "core players" look how many players on defense remain that were his... Yes, I give him credit for Nassib, Sales, Lemon and Pugh and especially Chandler Jones. BUT next year there will be a new core that will be very solid and win games. These things go in cycles.

I think next year's team, while QB being a huge unknown, is the most talent we've had since the McNabb years. If Zach Allen is the real deal then this program could take off.

I dont think hes saying we should bow down before GROB and thank him for these 4.
Well, I didn't start out by saying that, but after some reflection I've realized that's exactly what I'm saying.

We should bow down before GRob and thank him for those 4. It's not only the right thing to do, it's the only thing to do.

I know you want this thread to die, but can I make an observation, obviously, with the season being over and all and the benefit of hindsight, we can say that Nassib, Lemon, Sales, Pugh comitted to Grob and overall had great tenures at SU, but whos to say any of those guys pan out if Grob was allowed to coach them for their 4 year stay on the hill? If Nassib was coached by Grob all these years and looked more like ARob over his career would you still say that Nassib was any good? Would you still be claiming that GRob was a great "recruiter"?

Give the HCDM some credit, he has been coaching the guys.

Where I think GR gets a lot of credit is, if I recall correctly, these guys were lightly recruited.

Sales was the exception, he had a boatload of offers but IIRC a lot of those spots were filled by signing day. Lemon had some after he was solid with us, I think.

Now you can say, hey, he didn't have to beat Larry Johnson or Rutgers or Wanny out for these guys. Which is probably true but so what. Remember the flap with Chibane and some NJ coach and he's really turned out to be a damn good OL for us.

Credit GR for finding these guys and the new staff for seeing it too.

Well, I didn't start out by saying that, but after some reflection I've realized that's exactly what I'm saying.

We should bow down before GRob and thank him for those 4. It's not only the right thing to do, it's the only thing to do.

The day I bow down before Greg Robinson and thank him for anything, every member of this board has my permission to stone me to death in Armory square.

Where I think GR gets a lot of credit is, if I recall correctly, these guys were lightly recruited.

Sales was the exception, he had a boatload of offers but IIRC a lot of those spots were filled by signing day. Lemon had some after he was solid with us, I think.

Now you can say, hey, he didn't have to beat Larry Johnson or Rutgers or Wanny out for these guys. Which is probably true but so what. Remember the flap with Chibane and some NJ coach and he's really turned out to be a damn good OL for us.

Credit GR for finding these guys and the new staff for seeing it too.
Not sure what Chibane has to do with this. He verbaled in January 2009. Or did GRob talk to him after he was fired so he's really a GRob recruit? When you recruit a lot of guys, the fact that a few turned out to be good under another coach is no reason to laud the recruiting effort of that guy. Remember, Marrone cleaned house of 20+ GRob recruits when he started. Why isolate, after the fact, the few that worked out under the successor coach and make that the story instead of the other guys who didn't pan out?

Point being,

All these guys (excepting Sales) were barely recruited, not even by our peer schools. Chibane was just illustrating the point, because his signing elicited literal lols from Rutgers fans and Jersey coaches.

I'm not arguing GRobs guys/Marrones guys. Marrone's been the coach. Also, I think too little of the credit really to the players who studied from the coaches and put in the work.

Sorry, I refuse to give any credit to Greg Robinson. Great, he brought in some players that are helping us now. But if he hadn't been fired, would he go 7-5 with this team? Not a chance. It's not always about the guys you bring in...it's also about what you do with them while they're here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom