Greg Robinson SU Experience vs. Marrone Experience | Syracusefan.com

Greg Robinson SU Experience vs. Marrone Experience

OrangePA

Living Legend
A few weeks ago I was obviously very bored so I went to Syracuse.com and looked at some old SU Football videos.

I came across Greg Robinson's final press conference in the Football Facility.

You may recall that at the beginning of the press conference he talked about how much he loved his job at SU - he even said that he was even thinking of re-applying for his job. And he also talked about how much he, his wife and his children loved Central New York. I think his son, Dominic, still lives in Syracuse.

With the speculation that Marrone is just not all that happy at SU, I find Robinson's feelings back in 2008 to be particularly relevant.

Here is a guy who had no success whatsoever. I'm sure he and his family took a lot of heat from the community for his failures - I'm sure he received a lot of negative feedback from the SU Administration and/or the BOT.

And yet he loved his job and he loved being here. And that seems to have been the experience with most SU coaches - they like being here - the community fits them. Even after he left, Mac came right back to CNY at the end of his time with NE.

I have to believe that Marrone's experience with the CNY community and the University community has been far more positive than it was for Robinson and yet he seems so anxious to leave.

And Doug lived here for four or five years when he played - he is close to Tim Green and the Congels and Coach Mac - who have all invested their lives in this community. He must have known exactly what he was getting when he signed his deal awhile ago.

If this is rooted in a dissatisfaction with SU and CNY I have to say - I really don't get it.

I did not know that DM was close to the Congels. How much have they donated to the FB program, and for improved facilities?

I did not know that DM was close to the Congels. How much have they donated to the FB program, and for improved facilities?

Robert "Bob" Congel is a Life Trustee at SU, which I would assume means he has made a signficant (or several significant) contributions to the university in the past? Or maybe he is a Life Trustee because the university hopes he will make a significant donation in the future?

I am aware of some schools/non-profit organizations that "honor" successful individuals in their communty with "honorary" or "advisory" or "life" Trustee status in the hopes that it will pay off big down the road with a major gift. Sometimes it works, but most of the time in my experience that major financial windfall never arrives.

Marrone bottles up a lot of things inside.

Might be part of his problem.

That is kind of funny along with that if Dr. Gross stays for 20+ years, which I hope he does.

A few weeks ago I was obviously very bored so I went to Syracuse.com and looked at some old SU Football videos.

I came across Greg Robinson's final press conference in the Football Facility.

You may recall that at the beginning of the press conference he talked about how much he loved his job at SU - he even said that he was even thinking of re-applying for his job. And he also talked about how much he, his wife and his children loved Central New York. I think his son, Dominic, still lives in Syracuse.

With the speculation that Marrone is just not all that happy at SU, I find Robinson's feelings back in 2008 to be particularly relevant.

Here is a guy who had no success whatsoever. I'm sure he and his family took a lot of heat from the community for his failures - I'm sure he received a lot of negative feedback from the SU Administration and/or the BOT.

And yet he loved his job and he loved being here. And that seems to have been the experience with most SU coaches - they like being here - the community fits them. Even after he left, Mac came right back to CNY at the end of his time with NE.

I have to believe that Marrone's experience with the CNY community and the University community has been far more positive than it was for Robinson and yet he seems so anxious to leave.

And Doug lived here for four or five years when he played - he is close to Tim Green and the Congels and Coach Mac - who have all invested their lives in this community. He must have known exactly what he was getting when he signed his deal awhile ago.

If this is rooted in a dissatisfaction with SU and CNY I have to say - I really don't get it.
People are terrible at predicting their future happiness. People who become paralyzed are way happier than we expect if it were to happen to us for instance. Same goes for the lottery the other way. Stumbling on Happiness, great book. Not self help garbage like it sounds.

Greg Robinson is just happy, it's who he is. Being the worst hc ever didn't change that for him.

I suspect marrone is just not. We automatically assume SU must've screwed something up but I'm not so sure

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

People are terrible at predicting their future happiness. People who become paralyzed are way happier than we expect if it were to happen to us for instance. Same goes for the lottery the other way. Stumbling on Happiness, great book. Not self help garbage like it sounds.

Greg Robinson is just happy, it's who he is. Being the worst hc ever didn't change that for him.

I suspect marrone is just not. We automatically assume SU must've screwed something up but I'm not so sure

I think that might be right.

Good perspective.

I think that might be right.

Good perspective.

Great thread, OrangePA. I spent a lot of time with Greg R (never met Doug so can't say anything about him) and he was a genuinely nice guy and a pleasure to be around. Obviously didn't translate to how he ran the program, but a great person who really loved being there. Maybe it had to be with being a little older and finally getting his chance to be a head coach?

I think Millhouse has been watching Before Sunset.
I don't know what that is but i suspect that post is hilarious

Mill house are u moonlighting as a shrink? Nice perspective and I agree

Shame. Can't find a clip of it. But here's the part of the script.

Jesse
I don't think anyone does. No one wants to admit it, but it's like we have these innate set points, and nothing much is going to change our general disposition.
Celine
Do you believe that?
Jesse
The older I get, I think maybe so. I read about this study where they followed people that had won the lottery and people who'd become paraplegics. We're led to believe one would make us euphoric and the other suicidal. The study showed that within six months, once they'd more or less gotten used to their situation, they were fundamentally the same as they were before.
Celine
The same?
Jesse
Yeah. If they were basically an optimistic, jovial person, they were an optimistic, jovial person in a wheelchair. If they were a petty, miserable person, they were now a petty, miserable person with a new house, Cadillac, and a boat.

I don't know what that is but i suspect that post is hilarious

Movie directed by Richard Linklater. He also directed Dazed and Confused, which is how many of us are feeling after the events of this week.

Shame. Can't find a clip of it. But here's the part of the script.

Jesse
I don't think anyone does. No one wants to admit it, but it's like we have these innate set points, and nothing much is going to change our general disposition.
Celine
Do you believe that?
Jesse
The older I get, I think maybe so. I read about this study where they followed people that had won the lottery and people who'd become paraplegics. We're led to believe one would make us euphoric and the other suicidal. The study showed that within six months, once they'd more or less gotten used to their situation, they were fundamentally the same as they were before.
Celine
The same?
Jesse
Yeah. If they were basically an optimistic, jovial person, they were an optimistic, jovial person in a wheelchair. If they were a petty, miserable person, they were now a petty, miserable person with a new house, Cadillac, and a boat.

I wish I had never read that. So I'm going to be a miserable pr!ck the rest of my life? That sucks.

His alternative lifestyle gives him great perspective on such things.
Why must you hurt me so? You know i have delicate sensibilities

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom