G'town schadenfreude | Syracusefan.com

G'town schadenfreude

jt3.jpg

Many of the Hoya faithful have figured out the JT III isn't a very good coach.

But the funniest part of this is that there is NO way that the real power at GU, his father, is going to let the school fire his son.

JT Jr, put Craig Esherick in the head coaching job even though he knew he would fail. Esherick was only in there as a placeholder till JT III could build up his resume.

JT III could have 20 losing seasons in a row and he will never be fired, ever.

The sad part is that JT III is a far better person than his father. But lacks his father's ruthlessness.

The really sad part for them is that they probably will savor that win on December 5th. When you win about two tourney games per decade, you appreciate the little things.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Wow, that's just sad. I don't like to concern myself with the mid-majors, but this is too funny. Thanking us for that memorable day in early December...ha.
I think there might be some payback in the Dome next season.

This made me chuckle...Posers

Georgetown:

2009: NIT
2010: Round of 64 exit
2011: Round of 64 exit
2012: Round of 32 exit
2013: Round of 64 exit
2014: NIT
2015: Round of 32 exit
2016: HOT GARBAGE

TexanMark said:
This made me chuckle...Posers Georgetown: 2009: NIT 2010: Round of 64 exit 2011: Round of 64 exit 2012: Round of 32 exit 2013: Round of 64 embarrassment 2014: NIT 2015: Round of 32 exit 2016: HOT GARBAGE
Fixed it for you.

"Let us hope that it is not too long before other teams are saying "well at least we beat Georgetown this year"."

I got news for you - the majority of them already are saying that.

We aren't, but then of course we have this whole Final Four thing going on.

Many of the Hoya faithful have figured out the JT III isn't a very good coach.

But the funniest part of this is that there is NO way that the real power at GU, his father, is going to let the school fire his son.

JT Jr, put Craig Esherick in the head coaching job even though he knew he would fail. Esherick was only in there as a placeholder till JT III could build up his resume.

JT III could have 20 losing seasons in a row and he will never be fired, ever.

The sad part is that JT III is a far better person than his father. But lacks his father's ruthlessness.

I would have agreed with all of this ten years ago (and most of it's still spot-on), but John's surprised me with how much he's improved as a coach. Trouble is, he's not getting Jeff Greens or Austin Freemans lately, so the talent level fell off right around the time he figured it out as a coach.

But something weird would have to happen for him to be run off. Big John's the big guy on the hill, and it'd get real ugly if the administration tried to move on.

They're not dead and buried, though. Villanova's run will rightly restore some legitimacy to the league. Georgetown's still got Syracuse on the schedule, which in some small way helps them stay relevant. And they're still in the middle of a recruiting goldmine. With Maryland playing snooze-ball in the farm fields of the Midwest, there's a void for Georgetown to fill. They've got the Thompson Center opening soon; it'll be just about the best college facility of its type, should help the recruiting pick up.

We probably haven't seen the last of the Hoyas. Love their fans' despair this week, though.

Maybe they will come back.

But four things lobby against that.

They are in a Mid-Major-like Conference. VU had a very good year, but that may be an anomaly. We can argue about the status of the New Big East. But few would say it garners the attention of the Old Big East.

When JT Jr was there, he recruited ANYBODY who could help him win. Some of these guys were outright thugs like Kelly Bruner and Sheffy and Michael Graham. I don't see JT III doing that and I don't see GU giving him the same "rope" that JT Jr had.

When JT Jr was there it was like a revolving door. JT would run players off that couldn't contribute to free up scholarships. The list of these 1 year Hoyas was very long. I don't see JT Jr doing that or the University allowing that to the degree that JT Jr was allowed.

JT III tried to install the cerebral Princeton offense using players that wanted to go to GU. It has been a poor mismatch.

They can be the Gonzaga of the East. But there days of being the UNC of the East are over.

Maryland has a huge DMV fan base. GU has no fans.

Maybe they will come back.

But four things lobby against that.

They are in a Mid-Major-like Conference. VU had a very good year, but that may be an anomaly. We can argue about the status of the New Big East. But few would say it garners the attention of the Old Big East.

When JT Jr was there, he recruited ANYBODY who could help him win. Some of these guys were outright thugs like Kelly Bruner and Sheffy and Michael Graham. I don't see JT III doing that and I don't see GU giving him the same "rope" that JT Jr had.

When JT Jr was there it was like a revolving door. JT would run players off that couldn't contribute to free up scholarships. The list of these 1 year Hoyas was very long. I don't see JT Jr doing that or the University allowing that to the degree that JT Jr was allowed.

JT III tried to install the cerebral Princeton offense using players that wanted to go to GU. It has been a poor mismatch.

They can be the Gonzaga of the East. But there days of being the UNC of the East are over.

Maryland has a huge DMV fan base. GU has no fans.
I don't consider the Big East a mid-major basketball conference. Not in the least.

Whatever conference it was that uconn ended up stuck in, however...

I don't consider the Big East a mid-major basketball conference. Not in the least.

Whatever conference it was that uconn ended up stuck in, however...

UConn is definitely in a Conference full of Mid Majors

The old members of the Big East aren't now Mid Majors. But they could slide in that direction easily.

But Butler, Creighton, De Paul and Xavier have that Mid-Major feel to them. And there was talk of adding Dayton and Saint Louis which are Mid-Majors in my mind.

To keep out of the Mid-Major abyss, GU and Villanova have to continue to schedule and beat Majors. SU giving them games is about selling tickets. But they need us more than we need them.

UConn is definitely in a Conference full of Mid Majors

The old members of the Big East aren't now Mid Majors. But they could slide in that direction easily.

But Butler, Creighton, De Paul and Xavier have that Mid-Major feel to them. And there was talk of adding Dayton and Saint Louis which are Mid-Majors in my mind.

To keep out of the Mid-Major abyss, GU and Villanova have to continue to schedule and beat Majors. SU giving them games is about selling tickets. But they need us more than we need them.

I've wanted us to drop them off the schedule or tell them we want 2-for-1s. Let them sink into the abyss and then we can beat them like a tomato can like Colgate.

This made me chuckle...Posers

Georgetown:

2009: NIT
2010: Round of 64 exit
2011: Round of 64 exit
2012: Round of 32 exit
2013: Round of 64 exit
2014: NIT
2015: Round of 32 exit
2016: HOT GARBAGE
Its not that they have just flamed out. Look at these flameouts

2010- lost as 3 seed to 14 seed Ohio
2011- lost as 6 seed to 11 seed VCU
2012- lost as 3 seed to 11 seed NC State
2013- lost as 2 seed to 15 seed FGCU
2015- lost as 5 seed to 4 seed Utah

2 losses to 11 seeds, 1 loss to a 14 seed, 1 loss to a 15 seed. Awful awful coaching.