Guerrier and Other Thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Guerrier and Other Thoughts

STL_CuseFan

Walk On
Anybody else surprised with the lack of minutes he got? I know mock drafts mean absolutely nothing but this guy was at #28 in the 1st round for the 1st one released. 1st game of his college career, maybe nerves were in play but he never got a chance to get in rhythm and see one down. I love his size and athleticism and he is a guy that could easily penetrate their D and go from there. Amazing how the offense was at its most efficient when we got it inside and attacked and then either went to the hoop or made a pass or 2 for an open shot we would then miss. For the life of me I can't understand why Jim continues this same style of offense that doesn't work.

Girard didn't hit his shots obviously but he has got some handles and I think will get the most minutes at PG. I love the way he moves when he doesn't have the ball. Carey needs to go MCW and just not shoot unless he's wide open and focus on moving the ball and attacking the rim. He is very good at that but he has 0 business shooting imo.

No clue why Braswell didn't play. He's a guy that can make those mid range and cause there bigs to come out a little. Sidibe comes out early and Cuse gets absolutely man handled on the glass. Edwards held his own when he eventually got in. Would've loved seeing him in there earlier. It's not like Huff and Diakite are huge physical specimens that will push him around.

In the end, I think it was a perfect storm. Probably a lot of nerves for some, 1st game of the year, arguably the best defense in college basketball and a team that is going to live and die by the 3 and it was an off night. Boom 34 points. Good news is you can only go up from here. I think they'll be fine but the coaching staff needs to make some serious adjustments but they won't.

Guerrier didn’t look good in the exhibition games. Based on his reputation, he’s been the biggest disappointment so far. I was expecting him to be one of our best players. At this time, he’s not among our top seven players. If he doesn’t improve, this team will really struggle.

Guerrier seems to think he’s a three point shooter. Maybe he should stop thinking that.

Agree. Think that's the issue. He was a much better rebounder and spent more time in the paint in Italy and played more. I think that's what JB wants from him and what we need from him.

Agree. Think that's the issue. He was a much better rebounder and spent more time in the paint in Italy and played more. I think that's what JB wants from him and what we need from him.
Why doesn’t JB tell him where to go? An experienced team needs a more structured offense, and JB refuses to implement anything but his stale old schemes from a decade ago—when we even run any sets at all. It’s all, just go out there and make plays and knock down shots. Yes, but you have to put the players in the position to succeed. JB watches so much basketball. Doesn’t he see what other teams, pro and college, are doing? It’s mind-boggling. I watched Purdue run beautiful, fairly complex, well-executed sets for Carson Edwards during last season’s tourney run. Same with teams like Auburn, Gonzaga, Nova, UVA, etc. But hardly anything at all was being done to get Elijah open last night. JB is obsessed with keeping things simple. Boozer and Etan (on twitter) have both pointed out the lack of hard screening and motion from any of our players.

Guerrier didn’t look good in the exhibition games. Based on his reputation, he’s been the biggest disappointment so far. I was expecting him to be one of our best players. At this time, he’s not among our top seven players. If he doesn’t improve, this team will really struggle.

I thought he looked great when he went inside and stopped jacking threes. All he did last night was jack threes.

I loved that he got criticized for missing 3 three pointers when the ‘shooters’ on the team were worse

I thought he looked great when he went inside and stopped jacking threes. All he did last night was jack threes.

Exactly what I thought. Really like his rebounding and inside game potential.

Guerrier should be who we run screens through and pick and rolls.

but he prefers Oshae’s corner

Boeheim allows him to prefer Oshae's corner. Just like he allowed Oshae to prefer the corner.

When Carmelo decided to do this early on in his freshman year, Boeheim made it a point to run plays for Melo that got him to the post. Yes, he was probably more comfortable there than Guerrier is. But the point is, nothing changes with the system we run to get players into a better position to score.

The system allows them to get contested 22 footers and to take their guy off the dribble one on one. But it's so nauseating to watch this repeatedly.

Exactly what I thought. Really like his rebounding and inside game potential.

Yeah, but something is off. We were expecting Brissett 2.0. He’s not close to that.

Guerrier looked bad and not just in an off night kind of way. Its honestly pathetic that if he was at all servicable this first round talk would persist through the season our fanbase has some mental illness in that regard. If you want to focus on his recruiting rankings I'd put him about 100 spots below where he is and nowhere near the 5 star Duke/UK kids. And we kind of 'need' him to be 'the guy' because Hughes is awful when he forces things and great if he plays like a role player and just takes open shots and drives to the hole when its open.

Braswell will play next game but I think being skinny has something to do with why he didn't play JB wanted Marek instead. Skinny guy with experience vs skinny guy without experience.

Edwards solid play came when the game was over. But lets get him in earlier.

We have no PG. Which means we'll have to have 3 2 guards on the floor at all time to share the duties. So there won't be that many 4/5 minutes to go around. Marek should get the lions share of them. The rest are up for grabs.

The other guys have reputation as shooters. He does not. If those are the shots he’s getting Braswell needs to play.

He’s played one game. His reputation in HS was as a shooter. And he shot well in his most recent AAU circuit.

His shooting was fine in Italy, iirc. It was subpar in the exhibitions. That’ll happen.

Going to be very tiresome hearing "live and die by the three" all season. It's one thing to have off nights when you're just missing open looks after sound ball movement. Every team in history has that happen. But you cannot say live and die by the three when those three point shots are fading away, stepping back, launching from 35 as the shot clock expires. It's not comparable. Those tendencies will always lead to more death than life.

I just want ball movement and a few plays! Get D's on their heels and that is when lanes open for driving with Buddy, QG, Goodine and Carey. That allows closer looks or kick backs to Hughes, Buddy, and JGIII.

What I do not want to see is no movement, dribble drive 1 v 1, and Dolomite shooting 3's regardless if he can I want him an Sid fighting for rebounds with QG or hughes crashing boards.

What simple plays have we run in the past to get movement? I only remember 2 off the top of my head.
Rautins/Devo Gerry? sprinting base line to a pick and pop 3 or pick and dish

The weave we used to run up top

Pick and roll at the top of key?

Last edited:
Are we far enough removed from Brissett’s time here to talk honestly about how bad he was?

He had a pretty good freshman year, if you recall. If he made the step we expected as a sophomore, he would have been a late first round pick. I was expecting Guerrier to be Brissett the freshman this year. It’s early, but I suspect we don’t see anything close to that. And if not, this is a .500 team.

Anybody else surprised with the lack of minutes he got? I know mock drafts mean absolutely nothing but this guy was at #28 in the 1st round for the 1st one released. 1st game of his college career, maybe nerves were in play but he never got a chance to get in rhythm and see one down. I love his size and athleticism and he is a guy that could easily penetrate their D and go from there.

From what I saw, he made Paul Harris look like Steph Curry, so any extra minutes he did get would only have pushed him down draft boards. He was preposterously ineffective when he was the court. Laughably so.

He had a pretty good freshman year, if you recall. If he made the step we expected as a sophomore, he would have been a late first round pick. I was expecting Guerrier to be Brissett the freshman this year. It’s early, but I suspect we don’t see anything close to that. And if not, this is a .500 team.

He had one of the worst seasons shooting in the history of college basketball as a freshman.

OB was never getting drafted. He isnt a good basketball player at all. Im glad I don't have to watch him play basketball anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom