Guthrie our biggest missing piece? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Guthrie our biggest missing piece?

I think the whole thing is getting overblown. It looks like a young QB not quite gettin the thing in gear. But you see the throws and the talent right there. Dino and Lynch will get the offense humming and can work with a young OL.

I also keep reading about Dungey masking issues - like he didn't have issues of his own the staff had to work around.

My fear is that DeVito is a 7-on-7 guy who excels in drills without live pass rush, but that he freezes up a bit in pads. Hopefully, that is a function of inexperience -- because you are right, the arm talent is there.

Dungey masked subpar line issues because he could move around -- but you are 100% right that he had issues of his own [arm strength, accuracy], and a lot of that gets glossed over because of how last season went.

couldn't move the ball?

YPP against Maryland > 2019 overall YPP

After scoring that initial second half TD, we didn't score again despite numerous opportunities inside their territory. That's worrisome, no matter what YPP was.

Again, I'm not against TD -- I'm just concerned that to be optimally effective, he needs a quality OL giving him time. And given the injuries / OL shuffling, that's not what we have right now. Kid throws a tremendous deep ball [which has a positive impact on YPP], but I'm worried about his decision making, his ability to make underneath / intermediate throws, and the gunslinging that leads to unnecessary turnovers.

Expressing those concerns doesn't mean that I am anti-Babers offensive system -- I love it, I can't wait until we start to produce the numbers he coached at BG.

fix the run blocking, fixes aton of issues. maybe there isnt a fix.. but you can win a bunch of the last 9 game by scoring 40.. not sure we can get to 20 this week.

After scoring that initial second half TD, we didn't score again despite numerous opportunities inside their territory. That's worrisome, no matter what YPP was.

Again, I'm not against TD -- I'm just concerned that to be optimally effective, he needs a quality OL giving him time. And given the injuries / OL shuffling, that's not what we have right now. Kid throws a tremendous deep ball [which has a positive impact on YPP], but I'm worried about his decision making, his ability to make underneath / intermediate throws, and the gunslinging that leads to unnecessary turnovers.

Expressing those concerns doesn't mean that I am anti-Babers offensive system -- I love it, I can't wait until we start to produce the numbers he coached at BG.
Lots of our points came from FGs last year

babers passed on a couple FGs because the defense put us way behind. it was the right choice but the devito skeptics blame him not scoring more.

It's easier to remember the times TD threw the ball away when the line blew up and think fondly of our warm memories of ED trucking BC players on his way to the end zone than the half dozen throws TD made in one game that ED couldn't make consistently his whole career.

It's easier to remember the times TD threw the ball away when the line blew up and think fondly of our warm memories of ED trucking BC players on his way to the end zone than the half dozen throws TD made in one game that ED couldn't make consistently.
yards per play always tells the story in the end and every year, people get fooled by goofy bs

lester has figured out how to score a lot without moving the ball (yeah, you're looking at OT and defensive scores)

sure devito throws for yards but they didn't score (yeah, they passed on easy fgs for hard 4th down conversions because they were trying to win)

Lots of our points came from FGs last year

babers passed on a couple FGs because the defense put us way behind. it was the right choice but the devito skeptics blame him not scoring more.

I blame the OFFENSE. And I want less FGs, and more TDs.

I believe that the OL is what's holding the offense back, primarily. But also that the generally poor OL play has had a cascade effect on TD's performance.

It's easier to remember the times TD threw the ball away when the line blew up and think fondly of our warm memories of ED trucking BC players on his way to the end zone than the half dozen throws TD made in one game that ED couldn't make consistently his whole career.

I'm sure that's broadly true. I certainly remember how dead-armed Dungey looked against UNC, for example. But it easier to conveniently "forget" that when the next week, he looks like Ken Stabler against NC State.

Dungey had a lot of flaws, too. Lack of arm strength, lack of accuracy chief among them. Those are not the things that DeVito struggles with -- he is upper echelon as an arm talent.

Where DeVito seems to lack [based upon the limited game evidence thus far] is feel and instinct for making plays. That's where Dungey excelled.

I'm hoping that the OL gels over the next three weeks, and that after the two post-Clemson tune up games we see the offense take it to the next level.

yards per play always tells the story in the end and every year, people get fooled by goofy bs

lester has figured out how to score a lot without moving the ball (yeah, you're looking at OT and defensive scores)

sure devito throws for yards but they didn't score (yeah, they passed on easy fgs for hard 4th down conversions because they were trying to win)

YPP generally has a stronger correlation to points scored, but we haven't seen that as yet with Babrers [for a variety of reasons, such as settling for a lot of FGs as you point out above].

Need to get that figured out -- and he will. I can't wait until this offense is humming on all cylinders -- and that might not be until next year, when DeVito is a grizzled veteran with lots of starts under his belt.

But I do agree about one thing -- DeVito got an unfair heap of blame last week.

YPP generally has a stronger correlation to points scored, but we haven't seen that as yet with Babrers [for a variety of reasons, such as settling for a lot of FGs as you point out above].

Need to get that figured out -- and he will. I can't wait until this offense is humming on all cylinders -- and that might not be until next year, when DeVito is a grizzled veteran with lots of starts under his belt.

But I do agree about one thing -- DeVito got an unfair heap of blame last week.
i can't find the stats anywhere but i'd love to see offensive regulation touchdowns per play

i settle for yards per play only because it's way too much work to correct and compare without defensive scores, special teams scores, FGs, overtimes

not perfect, i know this is why nerds get into obscure dvoa, success rates, whatever but that stuff is such a black box.

szmyt made our offense look alot better than it actually was last year

as good as last year was, the yards per play wasn't great. we were actually worse than our opponents, I wonder how many 10-3 teams could ever say that

speaking of smzyt, what happened on that botched PAT? Was it the hold, the placement of the strings, the plant, a deflection?

i can't find the stats anywhere but i'd love to see offensive regulation touchdowns per play

i settle for yards per play only because it's way too much work to correct and compare without defensive scores, special teams scores, FGs, overtimes

not perfect, i know this is why nerds get into obscure dvoa, success rates, whatever but that stuff is such a black box.

as good as last year was, the yards per play wasn't great. we were actually worse than our opponents, I wonder how many 10-3 teams could ever say that

Feels like a continuation of the last few years where people would say "finally, Dino's O is delivering!" and the data says "kinda?" ... I think we agree that the efficiency wasn't where Babers ultimately could get it. More meat on the bone and all that. I think we have a shot at that with TD, that ED couldn't.

(Red zone and goal line scoring is something I am worried about now that ED is gone however)

Feels like a continuation of the last few years where people would say "finally, Dino's O is delivering!" and the data says "kinda?" ... I think we agree that the efficiency wasn't where Babers ultimately could get it. More meat on the bone and all that. I think we have a shot at that with TD, that ED couldn't.

(Red zone and goal line scoring is something I am worried about now that ED is gone however)
turnovers saved us last year. can't count on that year in year out, i don't care what they say about the tampa 2

we still haven't seen the year where our per play advantage gets amplified by tempo, it'll be glorious

I get where you are coming from with YPP -- that makes sense [i.e., the difficulty drilling down to the next level of detail].

The guy was the duct tape and chicken wire answer on offense. Transitional player

If you want to call him a transitional player, I'll take a team full of transitional players.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom