Guthrie our biggest missing piece? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Guthrie our biggest missing piece?

Run downhill?

I think Shy is a big loss.
The loss of shy is really really hurting right now. Ugh.
You're severely over-inflating Cullen's impact. Cullen had 31 tackles last season, including special teams. Guthrie had 107. Even when Cullen played more in the second half of the season, he averaged 3 tackles a game. Guthrie had 8.6 and Whitner had 7.

You're severely over-inflating Cullen's impact. Cullen had 31 tackles last season, including special teams. Guthrie had 107. Even when Cullen played more in the second half of the season, he averaged 3 tackles a game. Guthrie had 8.6 and Whitner had 7.
I’m not over inflating at all. We have backers with 0 tackles on their career playing meaningful minutes. Shy was physically and mentally a step above at this point. Not saying the younger kids are worse, but they’re less experienced. Shy would have helped immensely IMO

I’m not over inflating at all. We have backers with 0 tackles on their career playing meaningful minutes. Shy was physically and mentally a step above at this point. Not saying the younger kids are worse, but they’re less experienced. Shy would have helped immensely IMO
Ur damn right he woulda helped and anyone says otherwise isn’t watching the lbs. no way in hell he doesn’t help.

I have great faith in this coaching staff, but recruiting has to get better. We continue to finish near the middle/bottom of the conference in recruiting and it shows. Recruiting good athletes doesn’t always translate into good football players. We need great football players. I can put a great athlete on the basketball court, but it doesn’t make him a great player. The same goes for football. This team is much better than it showed last Saturday and I think they will play better against Clemson. The talent level between SU and Clemson is enormous.
clemsons talent and pretty much 95 % the rest of college football teams is enormous

It will be interesting to see if Ward makes any changes at LB this week. Would love to see Wallace, Jones, and Richards get more reps. Was not impressed with Williams or Armstrong at Maryland.
Yeah put them in against Clemson. Makes sense.

Ur damn right he woulda helped and anyone says otherwise isn’t watching the lbs. no way in hell he doesn’t help.
You and I weren't watching the same football team last season, apparently.

I don't think having Shy would have changed anything about the MD game. He's definitely not a better LB than Armstrong, probably a bit worse or even at best with Lakiem, and probably would be in when we switched to 4-3. Honestly there's a lot of revisionist history because he's a board favorite.

I don't think having Shy would have changed anything about the MD game. He's definitely not a better LB than Armstrong, probably a bit worse or even at best with Lakiem, and probably would be in when we switched to 4-3. Honestly there's a lot of revisionist history because he's a board favorite.

Interesting you have Williams < Armstrong.

Of course he wouldn’t of altered the MD game. All I’m saying is a senior who has 4 years in the system would have helped. He would be a solid ST contributor and a solid senior presence to have in the LB room. Is he an all ACC player? No. But, to say his loss has zero impact is flat out wrong. He may be a board favorite to others which is fine, I just know what I see on the field so that has nothing to do with this statement for me.

1. Dungey
2. Slayton
#
#
#
3. Martin
4. Custis
5. Roberts
#
#
#
6. Guthrie
7. Shy
And of those players on that list only one of them had eligibility to play this year.

I don’t normally disagree with ya but Armstrong May have had a bad game but it was bad in an epic way. Like Conway at Nd bad last year. A few series I focused on him completely and he had 2 missed tackles, got blocked straight up 2x with no try of throwing hands then dipping and ripping to get bye or any such technique, iand backpeddalled the other 3 plays with nothing to show for it. He reminds m of Whit and as Conley would say he is a catcher and not a hitter. I will say it didn’t help our interior dline was backing up 2yds automatically. Shy was a much better natural tackler than Army and if u noticed I was never really high on him from his sophomore year on.

You and I weren't watching the same football team last season, apparently.
It was more after Pitt game. So it wasn’t all season and I watch our backers almost exclusively cause my kid played same spot and I kinda just go to them naturally.

It was more after Pitt game. So it wasn’t all season and I watch our backers almost exclusively cause my kid played same spot and I kinda just go to them naturally.
Most of his tackles were after the Pitt game. But in the last 7 games, he was averaging 4 tackles a game, and again, I'm not sure how many of those were on specials. He also didn't play on passing downs.

To be honest, I was genuinely surprised he had 31 tackles in total last year. I watched and rewatched a ton of Cuse football last season, and I only have a few memories of him being in on stops.

Well, the obvious answer is Eric Dungey -- who moved the sticks and helped mask OL issues.

Speaking of which, if we exclude Dungey than I'd say that Koda Martin is a much bigger missing piece than Guthrie. Or Chris Slayton.
don't think it's obvious at all that dungey is the answer

I hate these type threads after 2 games, I think the move of Servais to center is a huge loss right now. That's it. Id like to see the season unfold a bit more before I start playing remember when. Yes, linebackers need experience but losing players is part of the game. These are the same kids that most were fawning over 2 weeks ago and may be 3 days from now.

Like to get a few games in the dome under our belt before seeing where everyone is at. Are we really claiming that we miss Sean Lewis? who knows, but come on!

don't think it's obvious at all that dungey is the answer

I'm not interested in getting into this agenda-driven debate with you. I'm in favor of actualizing Babers's vision for the offense, which is not dual threat.

However, I don't think that it can be debated that Dungey excelled at moving the chains, which is something that DeVito is struggling with. After scoring that initial TD to open the second half, our next two possessions were a punt return into their territory, and then an INT, and we came away from both possessions with ZERO points. And I've already begun to repress the memory of the rest of the game, but I don't believe that we scored again the rest of the second half.

Not suggesting that we were going to come all the way back, but I'm concerned that DeVito and a weak OL are misaligned - whereas Dungey would be able to mask some of the issues.

I'm not interested in getting into this agenda-driven debate with you. I'm in favor of actualizing Babers's vision for the offense, which is not dual threat.

However, I don't think that it can be debated that Dungey excelled at moving the chains, which is something that DeVito is struggling with. After scoring that initial TD to open the second half, our next two possessions were a punt return into their territory, and then an INT, and we came away from both possessions with ZERO points. And I've already begun to repress the memory of the rest of the game, but I don't believe that we scored again the rest of the second half.

Not suggesting that we were going to come all the way back, but I'm concerned that DeVito and a weak OL are misaligned - whereas Dungey would be able to mask some of the issues.

I think the whole thing is getting overblown. It looks like a young QB not quite gettin the thing in gear. But you see the throws and the talent right there. Dino and Lynch will get the offense humming and can work with a young OL.

I also keep reading about Dungey masking issues - like he didn't have issues of his own the staff had to work around.

i'm not interested in getting into this debate but I'll take a shot saying you have an agenda

my agenda is that tommy devito is good and eric dungey is good and that half of this board should be in concussion protocol for thinking that the guy who threw for 330 is the one we'd most like to replace with the guy that graduated when the defense gave up double that

the obvious answers are guthrie and whitten

i'm not interested in getting into this debate but I'll take a shot saying you have an agenda

my agenda is that tommy devito is good and eric dungey is good and that half of this board should be in concussion protocol for thinking that the guy who threw for 330 is the one we'd most like to replace with the guy that graduated when the defense gave up double that

the obvious answers are guthrie and whitten

You'd be wrong.

And you're reading too much into my original post hammering YOUR agenda, when in actuality we agree on the needed evolution of the passing offense. Forgive me for suggesting on a day when we couldn't move the ball or score points, and laid an egg on ESPN, that our proven commodity QB who won 10 games would have done better, moved the chains better, and scored more points. That's it. No agenda beyond that.

I actually think Koda Martin is the piece that we miss most on offense, and stated as much.

LBs are just the symptom of the systemic defensive breakdown we saw Saturday. Guthrie and Whitner would be down my list and are far from obvious, behind Martin and Slayton.

You'd be wrong.

And you're reading too much into my original post hammering YOUR agenda, when in actuality we agree. Forgive me for suggesting on a day when we couldn't move the ball or score points, and laid an egg on ESPN, that our proven commodity QB who won 10 games would have done better, moved the chains better, and scored more points. That's it. No agenda beyond that.

I actually think Koda Martin is the piece that we miss most on offense, and stated as much.

LBs are just the symptom of the systemic defensive breakdown we saw Saturday. Guthrie and Whitner would be down my list and are far from obvious, behind Martin and Slayton.
couldn't move the ball?

YPP against Maryland > 2019 overall YPP

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom