Guys it’s only year 4, Dino just | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Guys it’s only year 4, Dino just

The guy is taking sacks that he doesn't have to and he won't throw a 50/50 ball that is catchable be anyone, so it really isn't a 50/50 ball.

I do not think DeVito will end up better than Dungey. He did have a redshirt year to benefit but if you look at Ws and Ls accounted for and QB rating, they have been similar through their first two seasons. I would guess that they will be similar after 3 years as well. What I do not see is that SR year bump. It is possible I suppose but IMO highly unlikely.

I love statistics and making arguments based on facts.

But in this case the stats are masking what I saw before my very eyes and what I THINK I know about football.

When Dungey was in the backfield every player on the defense had to be somewhat concerned. They had their jobs to do, but they also had to be worried about ED. He could go on a run and rip off 20, 30 or 40 yds and completely change field position.

Even DBs in pass coverage had to be looking back to see if ED had broken contain and was running at them like a tight end with no intention of sliding.

He changed the game.

TD, so far, is a long way from doing that. I think he can if he gets the passing going to a level where it opens up the running game. SO I don't care what the numbers are. I know what I see.

There were also missed throws that half this board could make, just ask Taj.

That's true.

Someone (not me) ought to go back through the games and make a list of the drops, the really errant throws, the Intentional Grounding calls to go with the Int's and sacks.

You'll need a calculator with a lot of memeory.

When Dino got here, he played a non-systemic offense that could win with below par athletes. Now everyone plays fast, so he lost his advantage, and he’s left with a huge talent disadvantage. He will never win here or anywhere else.

Hope I’m wrong. If I’m not, I hope Wildhack asks fast.

just my opinion.

When Dino got here, he played a non-systemic offense that could win with below par athletes. Now everyone plays fast, so he lost his advantage, and he’s left with a huge talent disadvantage. He will never win here or anywhere else.

Hope I’m wrong. If I’m not, I hope Wildhack asks fast.

just my opinion.

1. not everyone plays fast
2. his system isn’t just playing fast
3. the talent here now is better than when he got here
4. no one else has won 10 games here while being in the ACC
5. we’ve not beaten a top 2 team in the country since the 80s
6. everyone can have opinions, just some are bad ones

DeVito is getting Andrew Robinson 2007 beatings out there.
The 2007 OL was so bad it got Robinson killed and after that year he became shell shocked and couldn’t get it back.
Same thing happened to Tom Savage at Rutgers but he took 3 years and 2 transfers to turn it around.

DeVito has talent but the beatings he has taken has left him shell shocked and he won’t throw the ball away.

Wait a minute! Wait a minute!

What you are saying is that Tommy DeVito has been so battered (shell shocked) that he is now unable to throw the ball away? The result of this is that he gets hit more than less. (Shell shock was a WWII affliction in which soldiers couldn't function normally because they had been under fire.)

Seems to that this battering would have the reverse effect. That is, he'd be throwing the ball immediately to avoid getting hit. That's what a normal, rational person would do, right? But Tommy is so emotionally scared, he freezes?

I'm afraid I'm not going to buy your attempt at practicing psychiatry.

So what is going through TD's head when he pumps the ball, pulls it down and gets pinned underneath a couple of blitzing linebacker?

A couple of things, I submit.

The first is that he knows he really shouldn't throw a pick or get an intentional grounding call. He did both earlier in the season a couple of times and the coaches have convinced him he better not do it again. Any interception or Intentional Grounding call is worse than any sack. (Except for Troy Nunes).

The second is an almost instinctual vestige of his high school and youth football experience. He believes, maybe even at a subconscious level, that he can slip away. Until he manages to sublimate this instinct, he's going to keep pulling that ball down and hoping for a Houdini-like escape.

Now I hate criticizing coaches, because I know they know more than I do and that they have more information at any point. But why isn't the board upset about the play calling in the this avalanche of blitzes? We seem to be putting TD in a position that is beyond his current capabilities.

our avg pass attempt is like 5 yards. tough to reconcile that with the sack total.

our avg pass attempt is like 5 yards. tough to reconcile that with the sack total.

The 5 yd attempts were balls that actually got thrown.

Those that would have been 15 yarders never got launched. These ended up in TDs arms under a pile of opposing players.

Wait a minute! Wait a minute!

What you are saying is that Tommy DeVito has been so battered (shell shocked) that he is now unable to throw the ball away? The result of this is that he gets hit more than less. (Shell shock was a WWII affliction in which soldiers couldn't function normally because they had been under fire.)

Seems to that this battering would have the reverse effect. That is, he'd be throwing the ball immediately to avoid getting hit. That's what a normal, rational person would do, right? But Tommy is so emotionally scared, he freezes?

I'm afraid I'm not going to buy your attempt at practicing psychiatry.

So what is going through TD's head when he pumps the ball, pulls it down and gets pinned underneath a couple of blitzing linebacker?

A couple of things, I submit.

The first is that he knows he really shouldn't throw a pick or get an intentional grounding call. He did both earlier in the season a couple of times and the coaches have convinced him he better not do it again. Any interception or Intentional Grounding call is worse than any sack. (Except for Troy Nunes).

The second is an almost instinctual vestige of his high school and youth football experience. He believes, maybe even at a subconscious level, that he can slip away. Until he manages to sublimate this instinct, he's going to keep pulling that ball down and hoping for a Houdini-like escape.

Now I hate criticizing coaches, because I know they know more than I do and that they have more information at any point. But why isn't the board upset about the play calling in the this avalanche of blitzes? We seem to be putting TD in a position that is beyond his current capabilities.

good habits are hard to build when your line can’t protect and you can’t run. teams are sitting in the short passes because it’s all we have left and have time for. there’s enough blame to go to every position and every O coach

good habits are hard to build when your line can’t protect and you can’t run. teams are sitting in the short passes because it’s all we have left and have time for. there’s enough blame to go to every position and every O coach

TD pretty much stopped throwing INTs and getting called for Intentional Grounding, so that it appears that some learning is occuring.

I agree that this is the result of the OL not being able to block, the RBs not picking up blitzers and the "strange" play calling we have seen. Add to that receivers not getting seperation and frequently not being able to catch the ball when they do.

Oddly, the only QB able to exploit this pressure has been Welch.

TD pretty much stopped throwing INTs and getting called for Intentional Grounding, so that it appears that some learning is occuring.

I agree that this is the result of the OL not being able to block, the RBs not picking up blitzers and the "strange" play calling we have seen. Add to that receivers not getting seperation and frequently not being able to catch the ball when they do.

Oddly, the only QB able to exploit this pressure has been Welch.

and TD in the 2nd half of the FSU game

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom