Half point thoughts long | Syracusefan.com

Half point thoughts long

kcsu

Living Legend
Here are some random thoughts from the half way mark. Please add your own comments and we will see if a trend or two develops.

Doug Marrone is a very strong GM, a good head coach, a poor OC. Scott Shafer is an excellant DC possibly top 10 in the country. Note to Doug he is the most important element of your plan pay him whatever it takes to keep him. This in my mind is job one.

Job two. Bring in an older seasoned OC to work with Hacket. Im not into firing Hack as i see the upside but basically Hack is simply an extension of DM. Let Hack focus on QB's and bring in an older guy with some experiance to help out.

Job three. Hire or designate one individual to be in charge of Specials. They are so critical in the college game. We should make specials an advantage not a liability.

As to the season we are 4-2 and im pleased only in the fact that we should be 2-4. We went into camp with some serious off field problems that quickly got magnified by a rash of key injuries. To be 4-2 at this point against some very strong teams and yes i include Rutgers in that is lucky. See point One again. I really like where we are going on D and feel as if next year we might field the best D to wear Orange in a very long time. Possibly could end up being one of our Top 5 D's of all time that is how good i think they can be. The O should also improve. Ryan will continue to get better and i hope that a healthy and in shape Tandem of PTG and AAM will be an improvement over this year. Wr should be improved as well. TE will be a toss up depending on how some of the young guys come along and gosh knows we cant be any worse on the Oline. Specials should also be improved with a new coach and everyone back.

Kids who have really caught my eye and who i think will continue to progress and become very good for us include. Grahm [ would he be a better rb] West Kobena Gulley [chance to be special]. On D other than the obvious i see Wilkes coming on the kid hasnt had a chance to stick with one position has been thrown to the wolves and im impressed. If he settles at one spot i like his upside. The LB's all look strong and i also like the looks of our young DE's. Crume is and will continue to be a beast and Bromley could end up making the league. If Sloan can become a player or one of the young guys steps up we might see Goggins move outside. All in all they look good. The one kid who im not impressed with at this point is Reddish. Looks lost out there and isnt physical enough at this point to play the coveted one on one press that shafer likes. I wouldnt be shocked to see him move back to O in the spring. Well enough is enough. We are 4-2 should make a bowl for the second year straight the ship isnt sinking anymore and best of all we are in a solid conference going forward. Sure there is much to improve and complain about and im sure i will continue to do my share on the complaining end. All in all i like the progress we are making. Go Orange!

that was awesome, I feel so much better than i did reading the board Saturday nite:rolleyes:

The O is losing a lot of weapons next year. If we can't do much this year, what will happen next year? How will the passing game replace Chew, Provo, and Bailey (both catching and blocking)? We will have to bring on a new RG and RT as well. On paper I expect the O to take a step back next year, which is kinda scary.

Agree with a lot of that.
Concerns -- is there a pass rusher (other than Chandler) out of that bunch of names? can we expect the CBs to make huge improvement by next year? We should be good on defense, but I wonder whether the defense will be nearly as good as the one we had last year.
Gulley may be good, but we know Bailey is our best guy and he graduates.
On the OL, you bring back two very average starters in Chilbane and Mackey. Tiller and Hay may not be world beaters, but they are two year starters and the depth guys (including those who are out with injuries) weren't showing anything much in the Spring. Alexander has the size, so why isn't he playing now? Kids likc Curtis and Hickey, if healthy, might be OK as upperclassmen. Provo is the only TE who is contributing and he is gone.
Bottom line for me is we need to make some noise in the next 6 games; for next year, I hope Marrone and staff are looking for some JUCOs to fill in some holes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom