Happy 4-7-03 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Happy 4-7-03

great memories.

50% of this board wasn't here for that and of that 50% who was, another 25% or so wasn't here for the end of 2002.

time here should be referenced as...

BM: Before Melo
YM: Year of Melo
AM: After Melo

I was WBM! Way Before Melo!

I was thinking about it as I watched Gonzaga leave the court the other night. What a long road stretches in front of them. You go from seconds away from a championship to possibly decades. Our similar moment was 1987 and it took us 16 long years to complete that journey. Then I stopped to consider that it has been nearly that long since 2003. Winning the national championship is so hard to do, it is nearly a miracle.

I was WBM! Way Before Melo!

I was thinking about it as I watched Gonzaga leave the court the other night. What a long road stretches in front of them. You go from seconds away from a championship to possibly decades. Our similar moment was 1987 and it took us 16 long years to complete that journey. Then I stopped to consider that it has been nearly that long since 2003. Winning the national championship is so hard to do, it is nearly a miracle.

The moment you realize that nearly the same amount of time has elapsed from 2003 to 2017 as 1987 to 2003.

The moment you realize that nearly the same amount of time has elapsed from 2003 to 2017 as 1987 to 2003.
My first child was 6 weeks old. I was a wreck at work all day. Could not even eat dinner. paced the house all night. I remember it was 80-78. Duany gets fouled. He misses the first free throw. My wife, mother in law(in from Florida) and my friend were over, and I told them if Duany misses the second free throw I am going upstairs. He makes it, all 3 look at me and I don't move. Than when Hak missed both free throws, I stayed put. Than the block, and I just stared at the TV. I was waiting to see how much time was left. When the horn sounded it was relief. I hope my 3 sons now can experience a title. What a great memory 4/7/03 was.

My eldest son was 7 months old and sleeping upstairs. I was anxious and pacing like a mad man. It's difficult to cheer silently, but somehow my wife and I pulled it off. After time ran out, I walked out my front door and screamed as loud as I could. My Jersey neighbors didn't know what to make of me as they aren't familiar with national championships or athletic success of any kind. I may have to rewatch it tonight.

I was in Japan. I remember the employee at the cafe looking at me strange as I would cheer after seeing each win on the screen.

My eldest son was 7 months old and sleeping upstairs. I was anxious and pacing like a mad man. It's difficult to cheer silently, but somehow my wife and I pulled it off. After time ran out, I walked out my front door and screamed as loud as I could. My Jersey neighbors didn't know what to make of me as they aren't familiar with national championships or athletic success of any kind. I may have to rewatch it tonight.
They have the Giants!

it's stupid alright. my golf course is opening monday and there was snow on ground this morning. (it has since melted) I am so ready to move on to spring.
I'm sure Marsh would be out there clearing the greens! :p

They must be Rutgers fan so will never ever understand.

I was 11 which was just a bit too young to fully appreciate it.

Before the tournament I made a deal with my mom if Syracuse won it all I could skip school the next day. Trump can't touch my deal making ability.

Was the 1st half the best half ever played by a Syracuse team? At one point I pondered what the biggest blowout in the championship was. Would have been nice to get an easy 10 point win.

Thought Duany was going to be called for goal tending on the final shot because that's usually our luck.

Honestly I don't remember much. You guys always amaze me with your ability to remember specific players and games from decades ago. I wouldn't be able to name our roster 2 seasons ago. That's why we need to win another soon. Freaking Butler man. 2013 I think we would have lost to Louisville and 2012 UK was loaded. But if we just beat Butler in 2010 we get KSU or Xavier (don't remember who won) coming off a double OT game late at night for a trip to the Final Four. Kill me.

I remember the feeling of relief, too. Falling short of a title has never mattered that much since. Now the losses that stay with me are the personal ones that inevitably happen as time flies by.
This sums up pretty much perfectly the feelings I've had, both on that glorious day and in the years since. That really was my "one before the grave." I think a lot of it is just plain getting older (now 49--cripes!), but there's nothing quite like having kids (currently nine-year-old twin girls) to put things in perspective.

1) I've always wondered if Hak had two blocks at the end of that game- the famous one on Lee and Henrich's shot, which was so far off he may have gotten a finger on it.

2) Or maybe it was the 'English' JB was putting on ti with all his might.

3) Roy was coaching until the last milli-second, hoping for the call he knew he wasn't going to get.

4) Was JB telling Roy that "It's OK, you're going to win 3 national championships"?

5) Howdya like to have Julie rooting for you?

I was 11 which was just a bit too young to fully appreciate it.

Before the tournament I made a deal with my mom if Syracuse won it all I could skip school the next day. Trump can't touch my deal making ability.

Was the 1st half the best half ever played by a Syracuse team? At one point I pondered what the biggest blowout in the championship was. Would have been nice to get an easy 10 point win.

Thought Duany was going to be called for goal tending on the final shot because that's usually our luck.

Honestly I don't remember much. You guys always amaze me with your ability to remember specific players and games from decades ago. I wouldn't be able to name our roster 2 seasons ago. That's why we need to win another soon. Freaking Butler man. 2013 I think we would have lost to Louisville and 2012 UK was loaded. But if we just beat Butler in 2010 we get KSU or Xavier (don't remember who won) coming off a double OT game late at night for a trip to the Final Four. Kill me.

Kansas State. Then a good but not great Michigan state team, then Duke.

My daughter was born 20 minutes after they won that night. I had the daily double that night, will never forget either or.

Happy birthday to your "baby" girl!

My baby girl just joined the family 4/7/17. Hopefully I will get her to the dome very soon.

Hard to believe how time passes so quickly. I remember running/dancing around the house like a little boy despite being a grown man at the time. To be honest that feeling of joy has never left me. I can close my eyes and be in that moment.

It is a difinitive happy place for me as I am sure it is for all on the board lucky enough to see the game and old enough to realize how great our run was and how special Mr. Anthony was that year. And a special shout out to Gerry as well. I seem to recall him having a pretty good game that night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom