Happy Birthday to Us! | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Happy Birthday to Us!

OMAR COOK IS A SYRACUSE LOCK!!!!!

Those are the first words I read on a much earlier iteration of this board. That's great, I thought. Now I'm going to have to find out who this Omar guy is.

Been checking in every day since. Where else on the internet do you get a Duke Jupiter name check?

Happy Birthday to us! It’s hard to believe, but syracusefan.com is 20 years old today. We’ve been together through the National Championship run, the Bernie Fine fiasco, probation, the Mike Hopkins saga, ...

SyracuseFan is where I go every day. I am a native of Syracuse and have always loved SU Football from way back in the Bill O'Donnell days. I was in college in Michigan back in 1968 and picked up SU Playing Penn State on 5000 watt WYSR on my Rambler's car radio. Wore down the car battery and we lost the game.

I wasn't part of the old AOL gang. I think I started with Scout. I used to lurk on Syraccuse.com's football message board and would still like to know who Bacongrease is? Found SyracuseFan when reading a pre-season forcast and saw SyracuseFan is where dedicated SU fans hang out.

I first met some of the principals at a Fine Mess tailgate. I don't like to attend a game by myself so I arranged to meet an old buddy at the Fine parking lot. I saw the tailgate and went over to find out who Texan Mark was. I tell people you can always feel comfortable attending an away game by joining up with Texan Mark.

Went with Tomcat, Texan Mark, and LeMoyneCuse to the Central Michigan game in 2014. Mark and LeMoyne were in the first car with Tomcat and me following in my car. Canadian authorities were very suspicious when Mark and LeMoyne didn't know each other's names. Of course Tomcat and I didn't know each other's name either. The Custom's guy saying "So you two are traveling on a ten hour drive and you don't know each other's names?"

SyracuseFan allows individuals to join in the triumphs and tribulations of SU sports. Go Cuse

Last edited:
Long time lurker, ex-roomie and friend for 40+ years of Orange79 (who turned me on to this board), and a friend of CTO's before we realized the Syracuse connection (free Billy Edelin!). Although I almost *never* post, very happy that this board is here this board is great fun and an invaluable resource for this die-hard Orange fan.. Thanks to all who have a hand in running the board, and all those who post. I appreciate you all!

Went with Tomcat, Texan Mark, and LeMoyneCuse to the Central Michigan game in 2013. Mark and LeMoyne were in the first car with Tomcat and me following in my car. Canadian authorities were very suspicious when the Mark and LeMoyne didn't know each other's names. Of course Tomcat and I didn't know each other's name either. The Custom's guy saying "So you two are traveling on a ten hour drive and you don't know each other's names?"

This is classic Syracusefan.com stuff!
I’ve never been so cold in September. And what’s with all the CMU fans showing up late? They filled up the aisles getting to their seats for the entire first quarter.

Went with Tomcat, Texan Mark, and LeMoyneCuse to the Central Michigan game in 2013. Mark and LeMoyne were in the first car with Tomcat and me following in my car. Canadian authorities were very suspicious when the Mark and LeMoyne didn't know each other's names. Of course Tomcat and I didn't know each other's name either. The Custom's guy saying "So you two are traveling on a ten hour drive and you don't know each other's names?"

that's classic.

Can’t believe I skipped two others! Met two other members in my frequent travels, once in Austin Texas getting picked up in a giant pickup truck, and the other getting to see a Jazz game in Salt Lake City. Thanks suttree and OttoinGrotto !

Happy Birthday to us! It’s hard to believe, but syracusefan.com is 20 years old today. We’ve been together through the National Championship run, the Bernie Fine fiasco, probation, the Mike Hopkins saga, four athletic directors, five football coaches … and one basketball coach. People who joined us as students … have long since graduated, got married and became parents.

We’ve seen some wonderful (and not so wonderful) posters come and go (Raoul Duke, Viva Peru and Beth come to mind on the “wonderful” side). And some posters have left us on a sadly permanent basis (such as Orangeyes, Boca Doug and CaliCuse).

Sincere thanks to all the dedicated admins and mods who keep these forums running on a reasonably sane basis (it’s harder than you realize) …. And thanks, especially, to all the posters who keep making this place interesting and informative

Thank you for your support and inspiration, CTO. You really helped bring this group together at the very beginning, and we are forever grateful for everything you have done for so many folks on the board. Happy Birthday SyracuseFan.com!

How did folks find this on AOL back in the day? I wish I had, but didnt find it until the one before Scout(2 before this, if I recall correctly).

Others here may disagree, but AOL approached me as an early user (when they had maybe 200,000 subscribers) about moderating sports discussion boards for all of the Big East when they were first launched. I used to seed discussions with questions for fans, delete improper posts, etc., and received free time on AOL for my work, back when they used to charge for access by the hour. Bees was there from the very beginning, along with Cherie, CTO, Sherm, and of course, the infamous "Goose", "ElBonn", etc. - a guy who turned out to be my old football coach.

Happy Birthday to the Board. I am also a lurker from the AOL days, I didn't post much there (or here), but Bees was the only one who replied to me on certain things. I can't even remember which AOL name I used back then. In the mid-90's the things that would have gotten me to post on AOL would have been:
Broadcasters harping about our schedule/lack of early road games
Wallace and Z losing to Kentucky in 96
The timeout we didn't have against Arkansas in 95

The one thing I wouldn't talk about:
Street agents/probation

This is classic Syracusefan.com stuff!
I’ve never been so cold in September. And what’s with all the CMU fans showing up late? They filled up the aisles getting to their seats for the entire first quarter.
I remembering asking them "Didn't they tell you what time the game started".

Like Roger N, I believe I started with Scout. I can also relate to the days before the interwebs, sitting in my truck, shivering and straining to hear SU games through the static on 50,000 watt WHAM. Some nights I could barely catch the score as the signal faded in and out. My wife thought (and still thinks) I'm crazy.

This board was such a refreshing change from the juvenile banter and misinformation that syracuse.com had degenerated into. I've only managed to make a handful of hoops and football games over the years, and I don't post often, but I watch almost every game. This board become such a part of my daily life., and I'm so appreciative for all of the effort that goes into keeping this board going.

Long time lurker, ex-roomie and friend for 40+ years of Orange79 (who turned me on to this board), and a friend of CTO's before we realized the Syracuse connection (free Billy Edelin!). Although I almost *never* post, very happy that this board is here this board is great fun and an invaluable resource for this die-hard Orange fan.. Thanks to all who have a hand in running the board, and all those who post. I appreciate you all!

True story: Orangeman40 and I first met in Rome, Italy, when we were both attending the installation of Cardinal Edward Egan as a Cardinal! How unlikely is that? Talk about a "one-in-a-million" chance!

I was a freshman back in Day Hall when I first found out about this board back in 2000. I honestly think there have been maybe only 10 days since when I have not visited this board. I remember everything - from Tristan to people first posting on 9/11. Feel like I grew up on this board. Thank you to all!

I was so busy writing my earlier post I neglected to thank the people who make this all possible. Especially Temery. Tomcat filled me in on the background of Syracusefan during our excursion to Central Michigan in 2014. I even know the story of why he doesn't drink coffee. I especially want to thank Temery for helping out my daughter's class at Frazier School last winter go sledding. I had meant to post pictures but an emergency came up and my daughter was unable to attend.

There are the day to day people who keep the board humming. If I start naming names I'll forget someone so I won't start. We got a good thing going here let's hope we don't ruin it. When I was at my hotel in Durham for the Duke game, some Duke fans I met could not believe that Syracuse could have a tailgate with almost 100 fans. All thanks to the board and TexanMark.

Sometime I would like to bring up a project I'd like to talk about. Getting rid of medical debt. So many people are saddled with huge amounts of medical debt. You have a sick child, an accident at work or an illness. They go bankrupt and can never get credit . They find it difficult to rent a place to live, buy a car or get a credit card. I learned that some people in the credit industry arrange to buy out old medical dept for a few cents on the dollar. $10 could satisfy almost $1,000 of debt. That's for another day.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom