Happy w/ the win, but puzzled by the "offensive" 2nd half | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Happy w/ the win, but puzzled by the "offensive" 2nd half

Why the F is this forcing me to do a poll?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This^^^^^^. That 5-point swing was the first time this season where I actually started getting nervous despite having a full squad (the ND game wasn't nerve-wracking, just disappointing). Still, I am enjoying the underlying confidence I have in this team as I watch most games. This team has earned it's wins.

Still can't believe he didn't dunk that.

Another issue I saw was a lack of basic use of the screen. In the first half we did a great job using screens by our bigs to get to the rim or get into the lane. In the second half scoop/dion were not as decisive when using the screen and allowed Uconn to recover too easily.

Good point. There were times where it looked like both Fab/Scoop or whoever was involved were going through the motions with the ball screens. They barely slowed the defensive player and it had no effect. If they actually set a pick and used it, it would have opened things up quite a bit. I think this led to the guards having to force up shots rather than driving and creating openings for CJ and KJ.

I'll still take our starting 5 on pure talent, but it's a lot closer than our records indicate.

Although I agree that this happens sometimes, Swish, and you would like to see him keep playing the bench kids more, to keep the starters under pressure to do well. But there are 2 things - UConn deserves credit because they are a very talented team, and #2, our guys didn't really mess up too much during UConn's run. There weren't a terrible number of turnovers, altho 2 or 3 are memorable. Even tho they out-rebounded us in the 2nd half, we kept it close and got a lot of important ones. I felt like we were in control for a large part of the come back, and even when they got close and tied, we did tend to get good shots and get to the rim a lot late. I thought it was pretty good execution against a good team, their recent record notwithstanding. No surprise that we got UConn's best shot, after we blew them out late last time.

In addition, you just knew that UCONN would make a run, it was bound to happen. With their head on straight they are still a tremendously talented team

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom