Hard to tell whether Q was happy with his performance today | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hard to tell whether Q was happy with his performance today

Why dog Benny? He did his time & played some decent minutes last night & was not selfish. Took a couple shots & deferred to others mostly. Does he need to 'smile more' ? Is that it?
two3zone asked me for a pic of him so I shared it.

I said in the postgame thread that Benny's give-and-go with Judah was my single favorite play of the game. Nobody is "dogging" Benny.

Screenshot 2023-12-10 093313.png

It’s crazy that I was never high on Benny the last 2 years when this board bent over backwards for him but I really like him in the 8th/9th guy 10-15 minute roll this year. Can come in and get you a block or steal quickly or hit a 3.

I don’t think he rounds into a 30 mins per night 15ppg ACC starter but who knows. He brings things Bell and Taylor don’t.
I agree. I hope he accepts that role.

And, I hope he finds a way to turn the corner, and like Q, be able to play through bad moments. Bc of this crappy start to the season, for him, he's still in 'don't make mistakes' mode. Would be great if he could do exactly what Red wants him to do really well, and when warranted, take advantage of an opportunity & do more.

Would be great to have him as a 7 minutes per half option, who could threaten to drop 6-8 points, 4 rebounds, something like that, in that span.

Improvement between he, Hima, & JJ will do wonders for this team.

It’s crazy that I was never high on Benny the last 2 years when this board bent over backwards for him but I really like him in the 8th/9th guy 10-15 minute roll this year. Can come in and get you a block or steal quickly or hit a 3.

I don’t think he rounds into a 30 mins per night 15ppg ACC starter but who knows. He brings things Bell and Taylor don’t.
Honestly, what does he bring?

I have been a big Q fan and have advocated that he get more minutes going back to last season.

It is really great to see that AA has confidence in the kid and in turn Cope's confidence grows as he knows he is part of the rotation. Unlike Benny, Justin, or Bell he is a positive on the court even when not scoring. He always defends and boards. He is still a bit too careless with his handle though he has improved leaps and bounds over last season in that regard.

If he can average 8 to 10 a game that would be huge. Cant see him going much higher than that without an outside shot, even a little 10 to 15 pullup would change his threat level...maybe next season.

Truthfully, he should be starting, but as long as he gets his 25 - 30 minutes I am OK with his role.

Getting back to Bell, Justin, and Benny - the only constant from that group is Justin's rebounding, which has improved greatly over last season. With Bell, even a smidge of D against him and he cant get his shot off. Justin's scoring is erratic to be kind, and Benny is the ultimate wildcard - at least he was a wildcard last season. This season - nothing so far, though I think he will improve if he keeps his focus.

Forward going, the REAL story besides Cope from yesterday's game was JJ. Is he finally healthier ? Has he returned to the form we all hoped for ? A Judah - JJ backcourt with JJ playing to his potential - WOW !!!

I guess I was watching a different game because I thought Benny killed us when he was out there. Even if Bell or Taylor bring nothing offensively certain games they both play defense better and Taylor is twice the rebounder Benny is.

I have been a big Q fan and have advocated that he get more minutes going back to last season.

It is really great to see that AA has confidence in the kid and in turn Cope's confidence grows as he knows he is part of the rotation. Unlike Benny, Justin, or Bell he is a positive on the court even when not scoring. He always defends and boards. He is still a bit too careless with his handle though he has improved leaps and bounds over last season in that regard.

If he can average 8 to 10 a game that would be huge. Cant see him going much higher than that without an outside shot, even a little 10 to 15 pullup would change his threat level...maybe next season.

Truthfully, he should be starting, but as long as he gets his 25 - 30 minutes I am OK with his role.

Getting back to Bell, Justin, and Benny - the only constant from that group is Justin's rebounding, which has improved greatly over last season. With Bell, even a smidge of D against him and he cant get his shot off. Justin's scoring is erratic to be kind, and Benny is the ultimate wildcard - at least he was a wildcard last season. This season - nothing so far, though I think he will improve if he keeps his focus.

Forward going, the REAL story besides Cope from yesterday's game was JJ. Is he finally healthier ? Has he returned to the form we all hoped for ? A Judah - JJ backcourt with JJ playing to his potential - WOW !!!
I like Copeland, but that’s the best he’s played all year. He’s been a complete liability other games. He still turning the ball over 27% of the time he touches the ball.

Taylor plays defense, rebounds and isn’t a ball stopper. That’s why he plays.

We need Bell for his shooting. His defense is improved. He’s going to get minutes.

It worked yesterday, but when teams have a chance to game plan I don’t know if Copeland and JJ on the court together works long term.

I like Copeland, but that’s the best he’s played all year. He’s been a complete liability other games. He still turning the ball over 27% of the time he touches the ball.

Taylor plays defense, rebounds and isn’t a ball stopper. That’s why he plays.

We need Bell for his shooting. His defense is improved. He’s going to get minutes.

It worked yesterday, but when teams have a chance to game plan I don’t know if Copeland and JJ on the court together works long term.

Copeland is really good at crushing lesser teams. And Georgetown today (yesterday) is a lesser team. He was able to get to the rim far easier than he will against UNC, Duke, or like he attempted to v UVa. Super happy for a great day yesterday and seeing all those guys contribute or hold serve, but we beat a team that really should've lost to American and Merrimack.

This is really going to be a mix and match all season long with our forwards.

Honestly, what does he bring?
Can get steals and blocks on D and hit some 3s or make a tough shot late in the clock. If he’s not in he’s out after a few minutes and the starter comes back in after a breather.

He’s a good option at the end of the rotation at forward. I’m hardly pushing for him to have an increased role either but I like him 10-15 mins per night.

Copeland is really good at crushing lesser teams. And Georgetown today (yesterday) is a lesser team. He was able to get to the rim far easier than he will against UNC, Duke, or like he attempted to v UVa. Super happy for a great day yesterday and seeing all those guys contribute or hold serve, but we beat a team that really should've lost to American and Merrimack.

This teams upside is with Copeland and Starling playing well and us having 3 well rounded guards with good size.

If we don’t get that on a given night we need Bell and Taylor to knock down a bunch of threes or we 99% will lose to anyone with a pulse.

This teams upside is with Copeland and Starling playing well and us having 3 well rounded guards with good size.

If we don’t get that on a given night we need Bell and Taylor to knock down a bunch of threes or we 99% will lose to anyone with a pulse.

JJ has a really high ceiling, you can really see it up close. The guy wasn't a 5 star, etc etc for nothing. Don't expect yesterday every day but scoring from all three levels and playing off Judah can really change the trajectory of the team. The guy can really get loose almost as much as Judah can.

(btw - I've never seen a foul hunter wear orange like Judah).

I'd feel better if the first take was Bell getting his before Copeland.

Can get steals and blocks on D and hit some 3s or make a tough shot late in the clock. If he’s not in he’s out after a few minutes and the starter comes back in after a breather.

He’s a good option at the end of the rotation at forward. I’m hardly pushing for him to have an increased role either but I like him 10-15 mins per night.
I haven’t seen him do most of that but if you say so…

I guess I was watching a different game because I thought Benny killed us when he was out there. Even if Bell or Taylor bring nothing offensively certain games they both play defense better and Taylor is twice the rebounder Benny is.
+1
As I recall, Benny's first shot, from under the basket, was fed back to him and he crumpled onto the floor.
And a short jumper from the lane was short by about 3'.
Other posters have had positive reviews, but what I saw wasn't inspiring.

I think Copeland's creativity and style while going downhill can work against any level of competition. The defense doesn't know what to expect. Problem is, sometime he doesn't either. Hopefully the more minutes, the more he gets his feel to do what he wants. On another note, I think Red has had a plan by giving him and JJ so many minutes. It's almost like he's doing that so they can work through their issues because he sees what they can be. I could be wrong, but that thought kept popping up to me yesterday.

Cope brings it.
Cope's game is exciting -yes he pushes the envelope trying to make plays, resulting in some ugly TO's.
But he's on a learning curve and hopefully that game indicates it's a steep one.
I want to see splash plays, I want to get excited watching the games and be exhilarated after they are over.
For awhile now, SU hoops has lacked excitement.
Watching athletes like Cope make splash plays is what will fill the seats in the Dome again!
In the end, it's about players and fans having fun. Yesterday was Exhibit A. More please.

+1
As I recall, Benny's first shot, from under the basket, was fed back to him and he crumpled onto the floor.
And a short jumper from the lane was short by about 3'.
Other posters have had positive reviews, but what I saw wasn't inspiring.
I saw a nice give and go to Judah, the highest IQ play of the day, I saw his teammates score when he deferred to them. And, I saw him not make it about him.

On the nitpicky side, I saw him be slow to recognize opportunities & to move into positions to score. Saw him fail to score on the two shots he took.

People need to let Red coach & not have it in for Benny. Dudes dealt with more Boeheiming than most & besides that, is still trying. Despite all the false starts, he's still trying. The point is for these kids to learn & grow.

I saw a nice give and go to Judah, the highest IQ play of the day, I saw his teammates score when he deferred to them. And, I saw him not make it about him.

On the nitpicky side, I saw him be slow to recognize opportunities & to move into positions to score. Saw him fail to score on the two shots he took.

People need to let Red coach & not have it in for Benny. Dudes dealt with more Boeheiming than most & besides that, is still trying. Despite all the false starts, he's still trying. The point is for these kids to learn & grow.
Like the way Benny puts zip on passes, other guys throw lazy passes.

yeah 1st half Benny played well. I think he is just as good a rebounder as Taylor, maybe even slightly better.

But he doesnt know how to rotate on Defense.

His defense in the 2nd half was brutal.

and on offense, benny can get his own shot and has more size than Taylor vs athletic teams.

for now, Taylor is just a better defender...which is important.

I see this team developing into a defensive juggernaut, potentially. both coaches highlighted the SU defense in the postgames.

defense is the way this team succeeds, imo

for whatever reason Benny seems to lose the script when defending far too often.

I like the progress that Bell and Taylor have made so far. They’re both only sophomores. They’re going to grow and develop a lot this season and next.

Last edited:
I've never got too upset with Q's bad plays, b/c he was pushing his game and trying to make things happen.
Just seemed like he was paying the price to learn and become an exciting and solid contributor.
Hope today indicates Q turned that corner. Games could be a lot more fun going forward!
He's finding comfortable game speed... His game speed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom