Has this ever worked? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Has this ever worked?

By definition that’s what a coach does; “lead and give “pep” talks”.
He’s done the hands-on micromanagement thingy and it hasn’t really worked out. You don’t hire proven commodities like Anae/Beck and then tell them how you want things done. Dabo & Saban are masters at this.
And I’d also bet JW made it very clear to him that these hires didn’t mean “business as usual” moving forward. If he’s smart, and he obviously is, he’ll alter his role and keep it moving.
Calling plays by committee, has been a dismal failure, penalties, using timeouts, so Dino has now hired good coaches. Let them call the plays, and stay out of the way.

We kept Dino the leader and replaced both of his schemes. If he lets them run the offense like he has with White we are going to have a vastly improved team.
I want to like this more - but it sets up any failure as Dino’s fault and any success as his coordinators. Which isn’t how we or anyone evaluates head coaches in sports.

If it works, credit goes to all. If it doesn’t, they are all at fault… with the HC taking the brunt.

So am I understanding that the view is Dino doesn't have to coach, just lead and give pep talks? Think that is what his peers do? That's insane.
That’s what folks think is happening but they were the same people calling for his head.

I’d say Wildhack sees him doing everything in a way that is good for the football program. I’m guessing that someone here has intel enough on Wildhack, that some of the “John is pushing for new OC and QB coach” and ponying up for good ones is real. That’s good.

But this idea that Dino won’t be involved in gameplans, recruiting, big decisions, etc is misguided. And makes it sound like he’s a figure head when by all accounts that’s never been true.

Side note: these same folks probably have a hard time giving him credit for a 10 win season and think it was 96% ED.

I want to like this more - but it sets up any failure as Dino’s fault and any success as his coordinators. Which isn’t how we or anyone evaluates head coaches in sports.

If it works, credit goes to all. If it doesn’t, they are all at fault… with the HC taking the brunt.
Brent Venables built his career as the architect/manager of Clemson’s D. Whenever they played badly folks asked him questions, but ultimately Dabo was responsible for their performance. Nothing wrong with putting pieces in place and delegating responsibility. Besides, the old way wasn’t working- I’m betting this way does much better.

Brent Venables built his career as the architect/manager of Clemson’s D. Whenever they played badly folks asked him questions, but ultimately Dabo was responsible for their performance. Nothing wrong with putting pieces in place and delegating responsibility. Besides, the old way wasn’t working- I’m betting this way does much better.
That’s normal. HC always gets both ends of it, no matter to what degree he’s delegating. What I pointed to is this idea that Dino gets no credit if this works. He should absolutely get a ton of credit if it goes well.

These HC can be arrogant a holes; getting them to admit they need new systems and fresh blood is a modern day miracle and yet we’re ready to diminish it. It’s weird.

Also - I think it’s super weird that folks think CEO type HCing is a new thing?! HCs have been delegating a lot of stuff to OC/DC/ST forever. It’s always by degree and on a spectrum.
Exactly. As someone mentioned, I think this is not so much about management strategy, then it is about not giving Dino any credit. Multiple agendas at play.

For as down as I was at the end of the season, I’m glad Dino is still here. He’s a very likable dude. Happy for coaching moves. I don’t know if these new guys are proven recruiters, one would have to assume they are. So let’s see what they can do.

The only other comment i’ll make re: Dino is his documented hesitancy around the use of transfer portal. Yes, I know he’s using to plug holes, but I think it need to be an integral part of how coaches build a team. We’ll see how this whole portal thing plays out but right now it’s the Wild West and our buggy hasn’t crossed the Mississippi yet.
I don't get this narrative that Dino is hesitant to use the portal. People are taking one comment he made and making it into something it's not. All he said was that getting guys out of high school and developing them for 4 years is preferable to using the portal for the core of the team. That's far different than not being willing to use it.

That’s what folks think is happening but they were the same people calling for his head.

I’d say Wildhack sees him doing everything in a way that is good for the football program. I’m guessing that someone here has intel enough on Wildhack, that some of the “John is pushing for new OC and QB coach” and ponying up for good ones is real. That’s good.

But this idea that Dino won’t be involved in gameplans, recruiting, big decisions, etc is misguided. And makes it sound like he’s a figure head when by all accounts that’s never been true.

Side note: these same folks probably have a hard time giving him credit for a 10 win season and think it was 96% ED.
The everyday decisions are what a good CEO does, but you hire good people to handle the nuts an bolts of the work.
Then you let them complete the job.

Come on, your side note is not fair. They give way more than 4% credit to Lewis*….

*Even though he wasn’t here that year

I think JW has done a tremendous job with prioritizing and making these hires. I think it's also okay to say we got a little lucky that Bronco retired, making his OC (who's from Hawaii and has known Dino for years) and QB coach available at the perfect time for us. I think it also helps that Dino seems to be very well-liked in the coaching industry, which shouldn't be shocking.

Don’t you think Mac coached more like a CEO and supreme motivator? I hardly remember him on the sidelines using a headset and who knows what was written on that rolled-up sheet of paper he always carried around.

The best thing the University shows is that they will have some patience with their head coach. We did it for Mac and it turned out great. Mac was in a unique position in that he had a brand new Dome that no one else had. It’s a different place in college football today.

Also - I think it’s super weird that folks think CEO type HCing is a new thing?! HCs have been delegating a lot of stuff to OC/DC/ST forever. It’s always by degree and on a spectrum.

Hopefully it also frees him up to be more hands-on in recruiting. He came here with a reputation as a dynamite recruiter.

I don’t think that’s accurate at all.
I'm just throwing it out there. He went from hiring his in-law as QB coach to this. Something has changed. There's nothing wrong with it, whatever works works.

I don't get this narrative that Dino is hesitant to use the portal. People are taking one comment he made and making it into something it's not. All he said was that getting guys out of high school and developing them for 4 years is preferable to using the portal for the core of the team. That's far different than not being willing to use it.
Right, i’m playing off his comment. gone are the days of developing players over 4 years. Someone flashes in a year and all of the sudden we’re worried about him leaving after junior year or transferring to someplace different. I think the portal (until rules are modified) has be used on a larger scale

Don’t you think Mac coached more like a CEO and supreme motivator? I hardly remember him on the sidelines using a headset and who knows what was written on that rolled-up sheet of paper he always carried around.
I think it was Coach Mac who said his job was to coach the coaches. If it wasn't, then it was advice he certainly took to heart.

Fair enough. In the context of the OP, however, Michigan/Harbaugh doesn't really fit. I believe he was talking about coaches with losing records being given time and opportunity to make changes and turn things around. That's different than having to make tweaks to get over the hump of losing to a rival and winning conference championships.
I read it as a coach under pressure not record.
Harbaugh would have been canned this season if he didn’t beat Ohio St and have a great season.

I'm just throwing it out there. He went from hiring his in-law as QB coach to this. Something has changed. There's nothing wrong with it, whatever works works.
I think in retrospect that hire looks absolutely awful. But in football, highly successful TX HS coaches move up all the time. I didn’t hate it at the time.

Right, i’m playing off his comment. gone are the days of developing players over 4 years. Someone flashes in a year and all of the sudden we’re worried about him leaving after junior year or transferring to someplace different. I think the portal (until rules are modified) has be used on a larger scale
I still think the core of the team still has to be 3-4 year guys. Football is too much of a sport that requires cohesiveness to constantly rely on an annual group of mercenaries to win. Now some of those 3 year guys could be guys that transfer with 3 years of eligibility, and of course having an upgrade here or there that can plug and play certainly makes sense. I don't think DB would say any different.

I read it as a coach under pressure not record.
Harbaugh would have been canned this season if he didn’t beat Ohio St and have a great season.
Differences in interpretation, I suppose.