Hatcher | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hatcher

If Hatcher and Alford both get things to click that makes some serious size at WR out there. Hatcher with speed and technique is intriguing.

I like the Canes WR reference. Lamar Thomas immediately sprung to mind:
A665B32A-2247-4EBD-9694-E6A1481F699F.jpeg

Last edited:
At the tailgate before the game, I mentioned that I'd like to see Hatcher catch a TD.

Not sure if anyone noticed, but the play before was a TD run by Tucker that was called back for a hold on Gadsden, I believe. Number 3 on Wagner was encouraging the fans as they were loudly booing. The next play, Hatcher blows past him and catches the TD right over his head. Loved it.

I mean, more than Alford, yeah.
To each his own, I guess. What I saw from him was a guy that caught short passes when we had no decent WRs. He can't threaten anyone downfield. We have more dynamic guys that can catch those short passes and do more after the catch. Alford may not be as good as his physical tools suggest he should be, but at least teams have to pay attention to him deep.

To each his own, I guess. What I saw from him was a guy that caught short passes when we had no decent WRs. He can't threaten anyone downfield. We have more dynamic guys that can catch those short passes and do more after the catch. Alford may not be as good as his physical tools suggest he should be, but at least teams have to pay attention to him deep.
Do they though?

The dude has 4 catches in 5 games.

Queeley is a very pedestrian possession type wr. Anae and Johnson seem to favor guys with some attribute that gives them an edge over opposing dbs; whether that is speed, or size. Anthony is just not needed, since we have plenty of this type of receiver. Ditto for CJ Hayes, who is basically Queeley, but with worse hands.

Do they though?

The dude has 4 catches in 5 games.
Do they leave him open when he runs deep? If they don't, then that means they're paying attention. That opens up room for the underneath guys. Queeley would not be sent deep if he was on the field and he isn't as dynamic as the the guys we already have catching the short stuff.

Higher ceiling
Of what exactly.

Legitimately, I really would like to know what everyone sees in Alford.

We've seen a season and a half of playing time and for a lot of snaps, we haven't seen a lot of pass catching. That's not the only part of the position, but it's a big one. He's not exactly Jeff Lowe out there as a master tactician of all the little things.

Really, really like Hatcher. Not sure who his comp would be but agree with an earlier poster, looks like an athlete playing WR for Miami or an SEC school. Hope he can get the playbook down and stay focused because if so he can be a #1 WR for us.

Oronde Gadsden is equally exciting. He reminds me of a much more athletic (and bigger) version of Alec Lemon.

Two really exciting prospects for the future at this position. After missing on dozens of WR prospects (both committed and not), it looks like Dino finally hit on a couple.

Of what exactly.

Legitimately, I really would like to know what everyone sees in Alford.

We've seen a season and a half of playing time and for a lot of snaps, we haven't seen a lot of pass catching. That's not the only part of the position, but it's a big one. He's not exactly Jeff Lowe out there as a master tactician of all the little things.
He’s a physical specimen - NFL size/speed combo. You give him more time and chances because if the light comes on, he’s an absolute stud. It may not - but we saw it with Custis before.

The thing that makes me hopeful with Alford, is that what's holding him back is all inside him. He can dominate just about any db in the ACC, but just doesn't play up to that level. Look at the Wagner game, even the Seahawks held him to 1 catch. Someone needs to take him aside, and tell him it's not an NCAA violation to catch more than I pass per game. Now, if the 1 catch is a 57 yard TD...

Weird comp since Harrison didn't have length. To me Hatcher's closer to Taj Harris. But if you're going to compare him to the most talented receiver to ever come through the program, that's cool. Harrison had great speed and hands but what separated him was his elite route running skills. Also, while Harrison certainly was no juggernaut, take a look at his guns in comparison to Hatcher.View attachment 220646View attachment 220647
Give the kid time "Hatcher" , playing time . He is a stud
and have I said it from the first we started recruiting him. I was super ecstatic when he committed, and signed.

Weird comp since Harrison didn't have length. To me Hatcher's closer to Taj Harris. But if you're going to compare him to the most talented receiver to ever come through the program, that's cool. Harrison had great speed and hands but what separated him was his elite route running skills. Also, while Harrison certainly was no juggernaut, take a look at his guns in comparison to Hatcher.View attachment 220646View attachment 220647
You can't compare their arms in those pictures. Marvin is flexing and from the side and Hatcher's arms are hanging down and straight on. Not to mention, there's about a 30 yard distance between the two.

He’s a physical specimen - NFL size/speed combo. You give him more time and chances because if the light comes on, he’s an absolute stud. It may not - but we saw it with Custis before.
Size yes. Speed no. And you can’t teach the mental stuff. Hatcher shows more promise in that one catch than Alford has shown in 2 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom