Hatcher | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Hatcher

Have not heard much about Hatcher. Love the athleticism and spark he shows though

Size yes. Speed no. And you can’t teach the mental stuff. Hatcher shows more promise in that one catch than Alford has shown in 2 years.
This is a ridiculous statement lol. Speed + size - is what makes a difference. As seen on his game winning TD reception at VaTech.

I don’t need to compare the two - happy to have both. I was answering the question as to why they are giving him such a long leash. And I’m right.

Thinking back (at least as far back as the early 2000s), it seems that our ‘very good’ to ‘(almost) great’ receivers all showed consistent flashes on the field early in their tenures. The only receivers in those categories that seems to have had a very good/great sr season after being unremarkable prior to that are Morant and Custis.

Guys like Ishmael, Mike Williams, Taj, Estime, Erv Phillips, Shelby Hill, Spotwood, etc…they all showed flashes and production (per minutes played) very early on.

OTOH-There is a long list of receivers (Lavar Lobdell, Enoicy, the Arkansas xfer…I’m looking at you!) that we’ve waited on to see fulfill their potential. Few seem to ever get there.

Last edited:
This is a ridiculous statement lol. Speed + size - is what makes a difference. As seen on his game winning TD reception at VaTech.
Alford needs a perfectly thrown ball, otherwise he won't go after it. That's the issue.

Alford needs a perfectly thrown ball, otherwise he won't go after it. That's the issue.
Not sure the vtech throw was perfect. It was a great throw but it was extremely tight coverage. All of us would like to see more but he is only a redshirt freshman in a new system.

He has made some pretty good catches, The one that got reviewed vs purdue was a really good catch., He seems to have a slow twitch motor which makes some routes harder for him to run..

You see one catch and you think he should be playing...but...the rest of the story: Can he read defenses? Does he run routes precisely correctly, timing issues...does he block, does he line-up correctly. Do you play receiver A: Does everything up to catching perfectly and then drops the ball or receiver b, who is hit or miss on everything but manages to make some incredible catches? Remember Dino and his comment on "being consistently good rather than occasionally great"

You see one catch and you think he should be playing...but...the rest of the story: Can he read defenses? Does he run routes precisely correctly, timing issues...does he block, does he line-up correctly. Do you play receiver A: Does everything up to catching perfectly and then drops the ball or receiver b, who is hit or miss on everything but manages to make some incredible catches? Remember Dino and his comment on "being consistently good rather than occasionally great"
I think he definitely needs to develop and improve.

But that run down was a Holy Crap moment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom