Hate to say it | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Hate to say it

Do you think JB would have hyped this kid as he has if he had looked like this in practice over the last year? Look, sometimes it just doesn't ever translate from practice to actual games, but I say we need to give it a little more time.

Yeah, I do. Boeheim says weird things sometimes. And our bigs rarely put it together early, so this isn't unexpected. But I'm more bullish and I do agree that we've got to give Chukwu time. He does some head-scratching stuff and the game's moving too fast for him, but I think he's got good hands and vision and generally more skill than he gets credit for. Nothing some patience from the coaches and game reps can't cure.

Yeah, I do. Boeheim says weird things sometimes. And our bigs rarely put it together early, so this isn't unexpected. But I'm more bullish and I do agree that we've got to give Chukwu time. He does some head-scratching stuff and the game's moving too fast for him, but I think he's got good hands and vision and generally more skill than he gets credit for. Nothing some patience from the coaches and game reps can't cure.
Maybe he's just over thinking everything once he's in a game situation, and as a result, not doing what he's been coached to do and what he's been doing successfully in practice. I hope so, because that can be corrected.

This team really needs him to contribute something, even if only to change things up defensively for 10-12 minutes a night, particularly if Thompson can't stay healthy.

I love when people say I hate to say and then say something they kind of enjoy saying. Can we allow the team to grow over the next 30 days before we talk about the bubble. Unless of course you know the entire field including seeds at this moment. Maybe you do...wait...is this Joe Lunardi? Oh my god it is. You can go to hell you piece of . . . . .

What would make you think I enjoy saying that? I hate being on the bubble, especially a year after we were just on the bubble and many people were outraged that we got in. It's a realistic take, unlike the orange-colored glasses stuff that has been going on around here for the first couple of weeks of the season. Hopefully you were also admonishing the foolish posters declaring us Final Four-bound after laying waste to the dregs of Division 1 basketball the first four games.

What would make you think I enjoy saying that? I hate being on the bubble, especially a year after we were just on the bubble and many people were outraged that we got in. It's a realistic take, unlike the orange-colored glasses stuff that has been going on around here for the first couple of weeks of the season. Hopefully you were also admonishing the foolish posters declaring us Final Four-bound after laying waste to the dregs of Division 1 basketball the first four games.

Either way it's to early to say we will be a definate bubble team. I remember losing to Wisconsin last year and this entire board thought they were awful and would not make the tournament. They were a 7 seed.

But this is an NCAA bubble team again this year. And I'm saying that even if they do have a miracle comeback tonight. The defense is atrocious and they have the same issues on offense, where they go through massive scoring droughts. Not a good look to get blown off the floor in your two biggest non-conference games.

why dont you bet me on it then? i will bet you $200 that we are a 1 2 or 3 seed in the tourney, book it

why dont you bet me on it then? i will bet you $200 that we are a 1 2 or 3 seed in the tourney, book it

I think its going to be really hard for us to get a 1 or 2 seed now, we aren't going to have a strong non conf resume.

Man, people get so angry/defensive whenever someone takes a realistic, non-orange-covered glasses look at the team. I get it when it's the habitual naysayers. That gets annoying. I'm not one of those posters though. There were things I saw in the first four games that gave me pause, but it didn't matter because the team was winning by 30+ points. But those same things that were happening in our wins (poor offensive execution, poor defensive rotations, poor free throw shooting) are a lot more obvious now that we've taken two beatings in a row.

I get that the team can improve, and that issues such as jitters and cohesion and defensive lapses can all be corrected. But some people speak as if that's all a given. My point is that improvements are not a given, and the way that this team is currently constructed and is currently playing screams bubble team to me.

I obviously hope I'm wrong and this team figures it all out, but there are not a lot of positives to point to after the past 4 days.

A 1-2 seed is a big reach right now. Barring collapses, UK, Duke, Kansas, UNC, UVA, and Villanova will likely waltz to the top-2 seeds. AZ and UCLA will have shots at the top-lines too since they'll be able to pile up some wins in the PAC-12.

Being a 3 seed is possible even though the ACC is loaded this season. SU's road schedule isn't too bad (no UVA, Miami, or Duke on the road). However, coming down the final two weeks of the season, SU plays Louisville twice and Duke once. They need at least one win there. And since they'll be in a dogfight with Louisville for a 3 seed, sweeping them would be a huge boost.

At this point, I'll be happy if we're even in the discussion for the bubble at the end of the year.

A 1-2 seed is a big reach right now. Barring collapses, UK, Duke, Kansas, UNC, UVA, and Villanova will likely waltz to the top-2 seeds. AZ and UCLA will have shots at the top-lines too since they'll be able to pile up some wins in the PAC-12.

Being a 3 seed is possible even though the ACC is loaded this season. SU's road schedule isn't too bad (no UVA, Miami, or Duke on the road). However, coming down the final two weeks of the season, SU plays Louisville twice and Duke once. They need at least one win there. And since they'll be in a dogfight with Louisville for a 3 seed, sweeping them would be a huge boost.

Seriously? A 3 seed? This isn't a tournament team right now.

I want in on this as well. I'll give you 10-1 odds as well.

giphy.gif

Seriously? A 3 seed? This isn't a tournament team right now.
I wrote that before these last two games on the optimistic assumption that the coaching staff would right the ship through the remainder of non-con play. Obviously that hasn't happened.

I want in on this as well. I'll give you 10-1 odds as well.
All my money is tied up in change right now, but I could, uh, liquidate some 'holdings' to get in on that action.

I wrote that before these last two games on the optimistic assumption that the coaching staff would right the ship through the remainder of non-con play. Obviously that hasn't happened.
This sounds like Kramer with his 'levels.' :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom