Have a great Saturday! | Syracusefan.com

Have a great Saturday!

This is when I knew my son bled orange as much as me. He stayed up with me and watched till the end even though he had to get up for school at o530 that morning. Now, come next year he will be watching from the student section right beside my daughter. It is good to be ORANGE!!!

That team was pretty loaded too.

Devo
Jonny
Rautins
Harris
Rick
Arinze
KO
KJo

Can't believe that game. Love watching the replays.

Thanks for the post Rocco!

That was a very special night for me. I watched the second half and all of the OTs with nycfan and his Dad, who was my professor for three classes at SU. I remember discussing the Devo shot at the buzzer with the professor and we both thought it was good. It seemed that the horn went of a bit late and the shot was good. After seeing the replay, I think the officials got it right.

Sitting on the other side of me was a knowledgeable Seton Hall fan. About four overtimes in he imparted that he was glad that SH was not involved in the game because he wouldn't be able to take the emotional roller coaster. He said that as a hoop fan he was loving it but could not imagine what I must be going through. He was right, a part of me just wanted it to end and another part of me wanted it to keep going. Along the way I got into some trash talking with a jerk in a Uconn Jersey (redundant, I know)and his girl. When the lovely couple left during the sixth overtime, my SH friend laughed and gave me a high five when I wished them a lovely evening.

After the fifth overtime, with what little voice I had left, I said to the professor: Professor, we are going to win this game! They have had us by the throat so many times and let us go...WE ARE GOING TO WIN THIS GAME! About ten seconds later Rautins bombed the trey that put us up for good. Not exactly Joe Namath stuff but I was convinced, for the first time all night, that we were going to walk off the court with the W.

After standing and applauding and appreciating for a few minutes I started for home. As I was walking up the stairs in The Garden my phone buzzed. I got a text from my daughter who is not much of a hoops fan: "I just watched that game, it was awesome!" Knowing that she was watching and thinking about her Dad was the the icing on the proverbial cake.

Finally, I wandered over to the Blarney Rock (force of habit) to find Orange79 and another board member at the door. After exchanging high fives, I imparted that it was my early day at work and that I needed to be in the office by 5:45. As I recall this took place sometime around 1:30 AM. Orange79 turned me towards the subway and told me to go home, which was some of the best advice I have ever received. I was at my post early Friday morning and completed the day's duties but may have taken a cat nap or two at my desk.

It was a great night all the way around.

My wife and I watched that game and were agog with disbelief when each overtime ended knotted up. So many things in that game were unbelievable. Devendorf's last nanosecond shot was just a harbinger of what was to come. Harris's inability to get the ball in the basket from point blank range was infuriating. Luckily he was vindicated by scoring in the final minute

Devendorf's last nanosecond shot was just a harbinger of what was to come.

McDonough and Raftery's call on that Devo shot was awesome.

Right afterwards:

devendorf_2.jpg

Devo's shot was so amazing - Thabeet drills Flynh, ball tipped, in one motion grabs it and shoots with a hand in his face...has there every been a more exciting shot that didn't count??

Easily the best game (in terms of pure excitement and back and forth play) in Syracuse history and up there in NCAA history. Will hold up for decades as the gold standard.

Thanks for that Rocco, The title of the video says it all... Greatest Game Ever Played!!

I love how Bilas says "There's still a lot of time left in this game." With ~50 seconds left. Little did he know, there was A LOT a lot of time left in the game.

I stayed up that entire night watching that game and the highlights. I slept 2 hours then got up and went to school to celebrate with everyone else.

That game was beautiful.

I love AO.

Devo's shot was so amazing - Thabeet drills Flynh, ball tipped, in one motion grabs it and shoots with a hand in his face...has there every been a more exciting shot that didn't count??

I almost lost it.

Andy's 3 in 3OT :')

Loved Andy Rautins' shot. That kid could drain em.

This is when I knew my son bled orange as much as me. He stayed up with me and watched till the end even though he had to get up for school at o530 that morning. Now, come next year he will be watching from the student section right beside my daughter. It is good to be ORANGE!!!
Mele Kalikimaka!

1 of the biggest regrets in my life was watching that game alone.

I was literally running around the room over my couches swinging my shirt around over my head... alone.

My wife, in PR for an airline, was dealing with a birdstrike and was literally working from about 11pm until 7am because the 'miracle on the hudson' was just a few months before and the media jumped all over it. She was not pleased with me drinking by myself and running around the apt while she was dealing with media calls in our bedroom.

She is a Cuse grad, but that game means something much different to both of us. We still joke about it till this day.

i cant believe i forgot how bad paul harris was around the rim in the 4th OT. Missed 5 layups/dunks in a 2 min stretch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom