Have any of our assistants even gotten interviews for other HC jobs? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Have any of our assistants even gotten interviews for other HC jobs?

A lot of people including recruits would disagree with you.

OK. I can only go based on what I've seen and heard.

I have heard people say he is a hard worker - which doesn't surprise me.
But I've never heard anybody say he was funny or charismatic.
If he is, then let's see him get one of these elite talents.
The clock is ticking. We've got 2 recruiting classes left before Buddy graduates.

I don't see a "star" on there, personally, as much as everybody wants Gerry to be "that guy".
By everybody you mean JB. Maybe he feels forever indebted to him because of the 6 3’s... but I think most of us just want the best person available. If Gerry’s body of work can beat out Curly, Shaka smart, Hop, Pat Beilein, etc then more power to him. I just don’t think he‘s even on the radar if wildhack looks at this objectively.

The clock is ticking. We've got 2 recruiting classes left before Buddy graduates.
How many cycles are we supposed to give him? Even if he were to nab an elite talent in 2021, his body of work would only score well in horseshoes.

And what’s considered elite? Top 10? Top 20? We havent been getting them regardless of the recruiter. I’ll take Girard and Goodine this year.

How many cycles are we supposed to give him? Even if he were to nab an elite talent in 2021, his body of work would only score well in horseshoes.

Ridiculous

FFS who do you think recruited Girard and Goodine. Man our fans are dense. One assistant gets all the blame here.

Last edited:
Ridiculous
There’s nothing ridiculous about saying that Gerry has had some close calls but lacks a signature win. Do you want Gerry to be the next head coach or would you prefer a national search?

FFS who do you think recruited Girard and Goodine. Man our fans are dense. One assistant gets all the blame here
Those are top 100 recruits. Not exactly a Stewart. We used to have assistants that could pull in a McD every other cycle.

Those are top 100 recruits. Not exactly a Stewart. We used to have assistants that could pull in a McD every other cycle.

Where are all the McDonald’s all Americans in the Final Four? UK and Kentucky haven’t been there in 4 years. This obsession needs to stop.

And what’s considered elite? Top 10? Top 20? We havent been getting them regardless of the recruiter. I’ll take Girard and Goodine this year.

We don't have a center and we don't have a top PG.
Quade got away, and he strung us along and played us badly in his recruitment. He hurt that class.
Goodine or Carey may turn into the PG we need, so maybe we just need the one elite guy - ideally a big guy who can defend the rim, weighs at least 240, can catch the ball and has some post moves.

I agree. Right now, I like our roster a lot. We have a lot of terrific pieces, and a lot more shooters than we have had in a while. But we need an elite guy to be the alpha dog, somebody who can score against pretty much any team in the country, and a guy who is a center with sufficient size, and some offensive game so that people have to guard him. We're pretty close to having a really good team again, but the holes are glaring.

I also know that Hop had gotten interest from the NBA too that wasn’t reported. You are correct, there is much more going on than we ever know. Info is leaked if it’s in someone’s interest to leak it.
Yep. Autry has talked with others too

By everybody you mean JB. Maybe he feels forever indebted to him because of the 6 3’s... but I think most of us just want the best person available. If Gerry’s body of work can beat out Curly, Shaka smart, Hop, Pat Beilein, etc then more power to him. I just don’t think he‘s even on the radar if wildhack looks at this objectively.
How can I take you seriously when you have someone like Shaka Smart on the list? Lol

Where are all the McDonald’s all Americans in the Final Four? UK and Kentucky haven’t been there in 4 years. This obsession needs to stop.

Give me guys that can hoop rather than some dude with measurables and no skill. Girard, goodine, Buddy, Marek, guerrier are ballers.

JBs system needs elite or near-elite talent to thrive. I don’t care about what works for other coaches or systems. We’re stuck with iso.

Give me guys that can hoop rather than some dude with measurables and no skill. Girard, goodine, Buddy, Marek, guerrier are ballers.

They are all great pieces, but we need a legit big man, and either Goodine or Carey has to be able to effectively play the point next year.

JBs system needs elite or near-elite talent to thrive. I don’t care about what works for other coaches or systems. We’re stuck with iso.

Well we didn’t have any burger boys in 2010 and we won 30 games...

Wes Johnson was near-elite. Rick Jackson and Scoop were also top 50. Are we really going to split hairs over what 'near-elite' means? We're not getting anything close to that collection of talent right now. We're lucky if we can get 1 top 50 kid and we have to fudge the canadian metric system to figure that out.

Wes Johnson was near-elite. Rick Jackson and Scoop were also top 50. Are we really going to split hairs over what 'near-elite' means? We're not getting anything close to that collection of talent right now. We're lucky if we can get 1 top 50 kid and we have to fudge the canadian metric system to figure that out.

You have zero clue what you’re talking about. Our recruiting is on par with the current teams in the FF and the only player in the top 50 on that team was Mookie Jones and he didn’t play.

2009-10 Syracuse Orange Roster and Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

They're ballers but they'd be role players on our better teams. We need a couple star players to complement the role players or they'll be shut down by the top half of the ACC.

By this boards logic Carsen Edwards was a role player because he was ranked outside the top 100.

You have zero clue what you’re talking about. Our recruiting is on par with the current teams in the FF and the only player in the top 50 on that team was Mookie Jones and he didn’t play.

2009-10 Syracuse Orange Roster and Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com
Scoop and Rick were easily top 50 in at least a couple different ranking magazines and Wes was on the All-Rookie team at Iowa State. Those guys were high major talents. Are you disputing that? We're going off on a tangent if we're getting caught up in the rankings - I forgot that those numbers were a bit inconsistent. I just remember the Rick, Scoop class was very highly rated collectively.

The larger theme is not to compare our recruiting to FF teams. Those teams don't run our god-awful systems. Or are you validating my point - that other systems and coaches can get better results with similar talent? All is well then? What is your point exactly now?

But we did have 2 big men who could score in the low post to balance out the offense.
And we had point guards who were at least somewhat adept at feeding the low post.
Where has that gone?

EDIT: Oh, and we used to run the fast break like demons back then. too.

Scoop and Rick were easily top 50 in at least a couple different ranking magazines and Wes was on the All-Rookie team at Iowa State. Those guys were high major talents. Are you disputing that?

And I don't care if our recruiting is on par with the FF. That logic makes no sense because those teams don't run our god-awful systems. All is well then? What is your point?

Rick was a late bloomer his senior year. He had a lot of baby fat in HS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom