Have any of our assistants even gotten interviews for other HC jobs? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Have any of our assistants even gotten interviews for other HC jobs?

Scoop and Rick were easily top 50 in at least a couple different ranking magazines and Wes was on the All-Rookie team at Iowa State. Those guys were high major talents. Are you disputing that?

And I don't care if our recruiting is on par with the FF. That logic makes no sense because those teams don't run our god-awful systems. All is well then? What is your point?

Ok so Guerrier is in the top 50 then because he’s ranked in in the top 50 on 2 4 7 even though you say we are fudging the Canadian rankings.

My point is you never use facts with any argument you make while constantly moving the goalposts and that’s why people push back on your opinions. Everything is personal feelings with you.

Rick was a late bloomer his senior year. He had a lot of baby fat in HS.
Rick Jackson played over 20mpg his Sophomore thru Senior years.
He averaged 8.3 and 9.2 ppg before his tremendous Senior year.
I would take that in a minute from Sidibe.

Ok so Guerrier is in the top 50 then because he’s ranked in in the top 50 on 2 4 7 even though you say we are fudging the Canadian rankings.

My point is you never use facts with any argument you make while constantly moving the goalposts and that’s why people push back on your opinions. Everything is personal feelings with you.

I think Guerrier is a Top 50 talent. I think Goodine is a very good player, too.
Girard has all the intangibles and will make the team better just by his toughness and competitiveness.

Ajak seems to be getting better, but he's not the rim protector we need, and is JB really going to want him shooting threes? That seems to be his best talent at this point.

Rick Jackson played over 20mpg his Sophomore thru Senior years.
He averaged 8.3 and 9.2 ppg before his tremendous Senior year.
I would take that in a minute from Sidibe.

Late bloomer in HIGH SCHOOL. He didn't rise up to top 50 in the rankings until during his senior year IN HIGH SCHOOL.

I am afraid that Sidibe is done as far as being a legitimately good player for us. I hope he gets better, but I don't think it's going to happen based on his lack of improvement all year.

What was your original point? That our talent level is fine because we're on par with the Final Four talent? You got your panties in a tizzy about rankings because they were top 60 instead of top 50?

What was your original point? That our talent level is fine because we're on par with the Final Four talent? You got your panties in a tizzy about rankings just to say I was wrong?

I made my point in a thread earlier this week. As long as we can recruit guys for the correct role I could give a split about rankings. College basketball has been trending toward veteran teams winning. Not burger boys.

I made my point in a thread earlier this week. As long as we can recruit guys for the correct role I could give a split about rankings. College basketball has been trending toward veteran teams winning. Not burger boys.
So you would say that our NBA-isolation offense does not depend on burger talent?

So you would say that our NBA-isolation offense does not depend on burger talent?

You really don’t understand nuance do you?

Paul Harris and Donte Green were burger boys.

Would you rather have them or Dion and Wes Johnson?

You really don’t understand nuance do you?

Paul Harris and Donte Green were burger boys.

Would you rather have them or Dion and Wes Johnson?
Hindsight is 20/20. Usually the higher rated talent gives you the best chances, but you're right that holds true moreso in football these days where rosters are more stable. It seems like top 25-50 is the sweet spot where they are not good enough to go pro after 1 year. That's the near-elite category I was referring to, guys like Dion, etc. 1 top 50 kid per cycle isn't going to cut it with JB's system, though.

If someone gave us Duke's recruiting class last year would you have turned it down? Sure sucked to be Duke all year, huh? Because why? They lost in a 1-and-done elimination tourney where you need a lot of luck?

Hindsight is 20/20. Usually the higher rated talent gives you the best chances, but you're right that holds true moreso in football these days where rosters are more stable. It seems like top 25-50 is the sweet spot where they are not good enough to go pro after 1 year. That's the near-elite category I was referring to, guys like Dion, etc. 1 top 50 kid per cycle isn't going to cut it with JB's system, though.

If someone gave us Duke's recruiting class last year would you have turned it down? Sure sucked to be Duke all year, huh? Because why? They lost in a 1-and-done elimination tourney where you need a lot of luck?

Again you’re moving the goalposts. Facts are 6 of the 8 teams in the elite 8 didn’t have Duke or UK’s talent. Nobody in their right mind would turn them down, but there’s other ways to win and you can still win with guys not ranked 25-50.

The obsession this board has with them is annoying. People automatically think guys aren’t good based on ranking without looking at any tape.

And what’s considered elite? Top 10? Top 20? We havent been getting them regardless of the recruiter. I’ll take Girard and Goodine this year.

Dion Waiters (15th), Scoop Jardine (48th), Michael Carter Williams (21st), Tyler Ennis (20th), Malachi Richardson (23rd), Tyus Battle (35th), Michael Gbinije (29th, transfer), Jonny Flynn (23rd). All Top 50 recruits, majority Top 30. That's elite to me.

Goodine is 75th (not bad), Girard is not ranked. Boeheim has not been ranked, Frank Howard was 94th. For all the back and forth on him, Trevor Cooney was 65th. And he redshirted as a freshman, willingly.

Brandon Triche is the only guy in the last 20 years that has started for four years and been outside the Top 100 coming out of high school. Gerry McNamara was 71st, 38th entering his senior year.

I hope Goodine and Girard are better than projections, similar to Rautins. But there is a lot of hoping, wishing and projecting. There's a reason our teams were really good. And there's a reason we have been where we have been.

Scoop and Rick were easily top 50 in at least a couple different ranking magazines and Wes was on the All-Rookie team at Iowa State. Those guys were high major talents. Are you disputing that? We're going off on a tangent if we're getting caught up in the rankings - I forgot that those numbers were a bit inconsistent. I just remember the Rick, Scoop class was very highly rated collectively.

The larger theme is not to compare our recruiting to FF teams. Those teams don't run our god-awful systems. Or are you validating my point - that other systems and coaches can get better results with similar talent? All is well then? What is your point exactly now?
Rick and Scoop were right around the 40-60 range. But we’ll have two top 50 guys next year in Carey and Guerrier. Oshae is basically top 50 too. Wes wasn’t on any top 100 or even top 200 radars coming out of high school. He developed into a very good player—which hopefully Hughes and/or Oshae will do next season.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom