Have any questions for HCDM? | Syracusefan.com

Have any questions for HCDM?

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
As far as I know Tom, Go & I will be there. If we can, we'll try and get your questions answered as long as they are of a serious nature. I know we have a lot of comedians in the crew.

I'd like to know if they have a planned strategy in place for getting a play off quickly if they think the previous play may come under review. Or do they just continue to run their offense, at the pace they want, without worrying about possible review.

Injury updates, of course. I'd also like to know about his decision to get the young receivers involved since i beleive we saw West and Foster for the first time this season last week.

What concerns them most about Rutgers? How do they see us matching up with them? I know HCDM has said in the past before games we don't matchup well with a particular team or unit. I'm curious what his early impressions of the Knights are?

As far as I know Tom, Go & I will be there. If we can, we'll try and get your questions answered as long as they are of a serious nature. I know we have a lot of comedians in the crew.

I'd like him to tell us if that was really Ashton Broyld you saw in the Fine Lot on Saturday. ;)

Why did he not take more time off the clock at the end of the first half? We left too much time and allowed Toledo to get a FG, which is a net zero. What he did would be like Scoop shooting a shot with 25 left on the shot clock at the end of a half. On first down we snapped the ball with 10 on the play clock. Then on 2nd down a run takes more time than the quick incomplete pass. Plus with a run you force Toledo to either A. use a TO to stop the clock (meaning they do not have that TO they used later on their drive) or B. they let another 40 seconds go by leaving them no time to score after our FG. The way he played it could have cost SU the game.

I wanna know if HCDM wants to make the fans happy then why was this said “We don’t care if the fans boo us if we only gain a yard on first down and come right back with a run on second down,” Hackett said. “We are going to be stubborn in getting the run game going. Running the ball will be our No. 1 priority.”. I know he wants to run the ball but this looks bad. Fans wanna see good fun football!!!

I think the post on "Looking the Other way" would be a good one. Of course I wrote it. PS I think our present coaches are great but not being ready to play is waiting for an answer.

How would he compare this team's toughness and level of physical play in comparison to the last two years?

Been wondering if we will see any packages with Jerome Smith (seeing as AAM looks to be headed for a redshirt). Really think this offense could use that Power back to soften the DL for Bailey/Gulley later in the games. Smith looked good this spring so wondering why he hasn't been used in this capacity. Thanks Dan!

What are they doing specifically to address what appears to be a recurring problem with poor tackling especially on the edge with the LB's and secondary

I wanna know if HCDM wants to make the fans happy then why was this said “We don’t care if the fans boo us if we only gain a yard on first down and come right back with a run on second down,” Hackett said. “We are going to be stubborn in getting the run game going. Running the ball will be our No. 1 priority.”. I know he wants to run the ball but this looks bad. Fans wanna see good fun football!!!

Did he really say that? If so then WOW. I don't give a crap about an exciting O, I care about Ws. Running the ball because you are stubborn isn't the best way to get a W. It wasn't like Bailey was getting chunks of yards. Having 4.1 ypc is poor for CFB, and he had 28 carries. The passing game was fine in the 1st half. Going into a run, run, pass strategy in the 2nd half because of stubbornness is unacceptable.

Any shot we see Nassib use his legs at all?

What's up with the tackling this year?

I've felt that on offense (especially screens) and some on defense, that we have a problem telegraphing plays. Has Doug noticed that at all?

Thanks, OE.

I've felt that on offense (especially screens) and some on defense, that we have a problem telegraphing plays. Has Doug noticed that at all?

Thanks, OE.

It's funny you say that-I noticed that people don't seem too fooled when Nassib goes play action

I'm curious what the status of Chandler Jones and Shmarko are. Should we expect them back this week?

Also, how many other WRs besides Lemon and Chew can throw as well as they have?

I also wonder about getting West involved. Since he showed he can make plays on Saturday, are there plans to get him even more involved?

Did he really say that? If so then WOW. I don't give a crap about an exciting O, I care about Ws. Running the ball because you are stubborn isn't the best way to get a W. It wasn't like Bailey was getting chunks of yards. Having 4.1 ypc is poor for CFB, and he had 28 carries. The passing game was fine in the 1st half. Going into a run, run, pass strategy in the 2nd half because of stubbornness is unacceptable.
Hackett said that, not HCDM.

And there's nothing wrong with making sure you get the run game going. They were stubborn with it Saturday and won. I'll trust their judgement.

Hey Dan if you check this before the lunch starts two quick things for Marrone: 1. What steps can be taken to get increased pressure on the QB as we have struggled to get consistent pressure from either the front four and or the blitz. Also with Rutgers this Sat who has no running game what can be done to limit the wide receiver slip and bubble screens that continue to gash us week after week.

And there's nothing wrong with making sure you get the run game going. They were stubborn with it Saturday and won. I'll trust their judgement.

Right. In context, he said it in the sense that they had to work the kinks out of their running game now, to help prepare for the upcoming games.

Hey Dan if you check this before the lunch starts two quick things for Marrone: 1. What steps can be taken to get increased pressure on the QB as we have struggled to get consistent pressure from either the front four and or the blitz. Also with Rutgers this Sat who has no running game what can be done to limit the wide receiver slip and bubble screens that continue to gash us week after week.

The happiest player on the team when CJones returns will be MMarinovich.

You are right that there is nothing wrong with getting the run game going. My point is that we didn't get it going. We didn't rush it well. Yes, it was better than before but it is still far from "going". This W was huge for a Bowl. Had we lost we would have had a really hard time getting to 6 Ws. SU isn't good enough yet to risk a W just to improve the running game. It worked out in the end but it was very risky.

Had we been up 20-10 at half I have no issue with it. But we were trailing most of the game. When you play a high scoring team that cannot stop the pass (which is your strength) and plays a 4-4 (which is your weakness), how is that a sound strategy? It worked out in the end, but that doesn't make it right.

But if they/he challenged the OL to get it going, and they responded, how is that not right?

Injury updates, of course. I'd also like to know about his decision to get the young receivers involved since i beleive we saw West and Foster for the first time this season last week.
Especially why Flemming hasnt been in more. West is dominant, he should be out there every play.

Why isn't Crume playing?

Today there wasn't much time to ask questions. Thanks for responding, perhaps you could submit them for his coaches show on Thursday or maybe SWC can ask some. Here is a brief report of today's Lunceon with the Coach.

As usual HCDM goes table-to-table shaking hands with a smile on his face. You have a moment where you can have a quick word or two with him. His trip around the room goes pretty fast, today there were about 55 people there. Matt Park addressed the audience and today he made mention that Ryan Nassib was again named honorable mention All Big East. He also said that Van Chew's diving catch in the corner of the end zone off a of an Alec Lemon throw against USC had been nominated for the Geico Play of the Year. Matt asked each of us to take a second when we got back to our offices to place a vote. Here's a link in case you want to help GEICO Best of College Football Facebook page

Coach then took the podium and expressed concern with our mounting injury problem. He said because of that we will have closed practices all week as he & the coaching staff sort everything out. He said players are getting injured in the game not practice. There will be a lot of shuffling around. He pointed out that we have 55 first and second year players on the roster. He made mention of the fine play on special teams by Kyle Foster and said he had a couple of tackles. He also praised Prince Tyson Gulley, Antwon Bailey and Ryan Nassib. He cited the play where Ryan connected with Lemon for the TD and said, that was outstanding, it's a very difficult play. He recalled a similar play from last year which didn't net the same result. HCDM feels Nassib learned from that, the opponent showed a five man front, and Ryan reacted properly to it. Coach said Brees did that a few times while he was at New Orleans. It was a great play. Marrone was on the verge of saying RN was possibly going to be a very, very special quarterback. He mentioned the bad snap and how livid Ryan was, Mackey felt real bad and he (Marrone) wasn't going to get up in his face. That would serve no purpose. Mackey knew what he did, talked it over with Ryan and it shouldn't happen again. Not once this year, in practice, nor in a game has this happened before. That helped put Toledo up 10-0 and was shades of Minnesota.

Coach also said he has been deluged with questions about the blown call. First he said he can't dwell on it as he has to prepare the team for this weeks opponent, Rutgers. Do I feel bad for them? Sure, but I won't think about it again until after the season. He said if the kick was declared no good our strategy for the rest of the game would have been different. He gave props to the Big East for manning up in a timely fashion. He said he felt sorry for the refs involved because they work very hard preparing for games and try to do the best job possible that they can.

GOSU96 asked coach about the disparity of offense plays between us and our opponents that has been going on all year long. Go, pointed out the numbers were a little better this week. HCDM said the problem is we are not stopping people on 3rd down, we have to do a better job. He said this year is a little different than last in that the offense is bailing the defense out a lot more. Someone asked him about the 1-17 record in noon games coming into last week. Doug said we changed things up. The night before we didn't have the position coaches asking the players a lot of questions. We got the team up at 7:30 and did a different routine to get them ready.

I said, "We miss Chandler Jones, are we going to see him again this year?" Marrone said Jones was dressed as were some of the other injured players. He said Chandler is arguably our best defensive player. He mentioned that Orlando Fischer being out hurts this defense a lot especially in the nickel package.

Doug Marrone is getting concerned with how the fans are handling these nailbiters. He said, "Frankly, I'm worried about some of the people in this room. I even asked Pete Sala if he could extend beer sales into the 4th quarter." Sala responded that he couldn't due to liability. HCDM countered with, We'll have liability if some of the fans start dropping."

Tom, Go & Jake were there too, anything they could add to this report would be welcomed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom