Have to ask the question. | Syracusefan.com

Have to ask the question.

CU44SE

All Conference
Why exactly is Dino Babers still around? What does he excel at exactly? He doesn’t understand in-game coaching and situational football, he is a below average recruiter. He basically made the OC the AD brought in run and mesh towards his concepts that have not worked since he has been at Syracuse when he came from Virginia who had the 3 ranked passing offense in the country. He has 2 winning seasons, and now after his second winning season we are replacing our offensive and defensive coordinators.

Yes I am excited to see what Beck does. But he has also never been an OC before. And here Dino sits, as a lame duck head coach as our best assets around us get taken. So now we are left with Dino who has really not proven to be good at anything in particular leading the team.

At this point, I would just rather start over from scratch and get someone that is exceptionally good at one thing in particular. That way you can build a staff around that individuals deficits. At this point we are trying to build a staff for a coach that doesn’t excel at anything and has far too many deficits to overcome. Meaning we need more experienced and exceptionally good talent to pick up the slack because the head coach doesn’t actually do anything for the program.

It may sound like I am being extremely hard on Dino but he came to Syracuse with an offensive identity geared towards playing fast. We have not seen that in over 3 years and our offense has been non existent until this year when a new set of offensive staff came in, his 3rd hire (that was given to him by the AD).

Iip stick on a pig. JW pulled a miracle off last year getting these guys. If Beck stays Dino will have dodged a major bullet. He is the highest paid employee in the entire history of Syracuse University. He won the coaching lottery. Hopefully he does his job and keeps our key players. Its been his one strength as a coach and i actually believe he will do a good job as he genuinely cares for the kids.
Name Beck OC tomorrow and Promote Swag to DC. Add two dynamic recruiters to the staff and retain our key players. If Dino pulls that off and i think he can we will be in good shape.

With all these players and coaches leaving the ones who feel it the most are the ones buying the tickets. I for one am sick of it. College sports is out of control. Not sure I will renew my season tickets next year. There is more stability in the WWF or what ever they call it now!

Continuity. Prior to Dino the HC was a turnstile with 4 coaches in 12 years. The hope was that consistency would breed success but that has obviously not happened.

This program is what it is. 7-8 win ceiling, 3-4 win floor. I don’t even blame Syracuse for that, I blame the lack of leadership at a national level that allowed for greed and corruption to turn college football in to what it is today. It’s a completely different sport than it was 25-30 years ago when I got hooked watching a skinny #5 freshman under center.

Continuity. Prior to Dino the HC was a turnstile with 4 coaches in 12 years. The hope was that consistency would breed success but that has obviously not happened.

This program is what it is. 7-8 win ceiling, 3-4 win floor. I don’t even blame Syracuse for that, I blame the lack of leadership at a national level that allowed for greed and corruption to turn college football in to what it is today. It’s a completely different sport than it was 25-30 years ago when I got hooked watching a skinny #5 freshman under center.

So - a guy who won 10 games at Syracuse, has a 7-8 win ceiling?

Cary Elwes Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

The ceiling is the roof!! :p

So - a guy who won 10 games at Syracuse, has a 7-8 win ceiling?

Cary Elwes Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

The ceiling is the roof!! :p
I could’ve referenced the floor as a 1 win season a la 2020. ‍

Why exactly is Dino Babers still around? What does he excel at exactly? He doesn’t understand in-game coaching and situational football, he is a below average recruiter. He basically made the OC the AD brought in run and mesh towards his concepts that have not worked since he has been at Syracuse when he came from Virginia who had the 3 ranked passing offense in the country. He has 2 winning seasons, and now after his second winning season we are replacing our offensive and defensive coordinators.

Yes I am excited to see what Beck does. But he has also never been an OC before. And here Dino sits, as a lame duck head coach as our best assets around us get taken. So now we are left with Dino who has really not proven to be good at anything in particular leading the team.

At this point, I would just rather start over from scratch and get someone that is exceptionally good at one thing in particular. That way you can build a staff around that individuals deficits. At this point we are trying to build a staff for a coach that doesn’t excel at anything and has far too many deficits to overcome. Meaning we need more experienced and exceptionally good talent to pick up the slack because the head coach doesn’t actually do anything for the program.

It may sound like I am being extremely hard on Dino but he came to Syracuse with an offensive identity geared towards playing fast. We have not seen that in over 3 years and our offense has been non existent until this year when a new set of offensive staff came in, his 3rd hire (that was given to him by the AD).
We aren't a football school. We don't invest in football the way many other P5 schools do. We don't eat, breath, live, and die by football results at Syracuse like they do in the BIG 10 or SEC or even the BIG 12. It starts from the top, football isn't a priority.

At Syracuse, 6 wins and a bowl game, average attendence around 35,000 or so is considered an acceptable season where the coach met expectations. That's where the bar has been set by the powers that be.

The landscape of college football has drastically changed the last 15-20 years, and even more so the past 3 years. Syracuse has been behind the curve the entire step of the way. Day late, dollar short. Instead of being proactive to prevent the hole being dug out from getting too deep, we wait till the hole is the size of the grand canyon and then expect someone to a) want this job b) come in and fix it easily.

Because we aren't a football school, you can't expect the culture to be fire a coach when he just went to a bowl game and meet your expectations that you had heading into the year.

Know what we are. Accept who we are. It has made my Saturday's stress free the past 5 or 6 years knowing, win or lose...no real culture change is happening.

Dino will coach out his contract, we will let him be a lame duck heading into the final year of his deal. Making it tough to recruit or for for quality assistants to want to be here with no job security. After that final year of his deal, maybe he stays, maybe he goes. But even if he goes, the culture around football at Syracuse won't change. Wash, Rinse, Repeat.

Dino is still here because his extension after the 2018 season made it prohibitively expensive to fire after the 2020 and 2021 seasons.
Just a horrible extension in retrospect.

Dino is still here because his extension after the 2018 season made it prohibitively expensive to fire after the 2020 and 2021 seasons.
To confirm he is signed through the 2024 season?

Sorry. When Dino was extended, he was extended through the end of the 2024 season? So he has 2 years remaining at this time OR is it just 1 year at this point?

We aren't a football school. We don't invest in football the way many other P5 schools do. We don't eat, breath, live, and die by football results at Syracuse like they do in the BIG 10 or SEC or even the BIG 12. It starts from the top, football isn't a priority.

At Syracuse, 6 wins and a bowl game, average attendence around 35,000 or so is considered an acceptable season where the coach met expectations. That's where the bar has been set by the powers that be.

The landscape of college football has drastically changed the last 15-20 years, and even more so the past 3 years. Syracuse has been behind the curve the entire step of the way. Day late, dollar short. Instead of being proactive to prevent the hole being dug out from getting too deep, we wait till the hole is the size of the grand canyon and then expect someone to a) want this job b) come in and fix it easily.

Because we aren't a football school, you can't expect the culture to be fire a coach when he just went to a bowl game and meet your expectations that you had heading into the year.

Know what we are. Accept who we are. It has made my Saturday's stress free the past 5 or 6 years knowing, win or lose...no real culture change is happening.

Dino will coach out his contract, we will let him be a lame duck heading into the final year of his deal. Making it tough to recruit or for for quality assistants to want to be here with no job security. After that final year of his deal, maybe he stays, maybe he goes. But even if he goes, the culture around football at Syracuse won't change. Wash, Rinse, Repeat.
That's right we are a "futbol" school now.

Helps JW raise money, which is JWs job. You don’t fire a HC that can bring in millions in donations. Wildhack is graded by the BoT on keeping the department well funded

We don’t invest in football? I’m not so sure. $300 million in investments to the Dome and Manley Field House says otherwise. Another $47 million on the way. That’s not chump change!
Fixing up an old stadium isn't investing in football. That is an overall athletic department investment in all the sports that use the facility.

Giving a head coach access to a private jet to recruit, that is investing in football (just as one example). Stuff on that level. That is what we are competing against.

Fixing up an old stadium isn't investing in football. That is an overall athletic department investment in all the sports that use the facility.

Giving a head coach access to a private jet to recruit, that is investing in football (just as one example). Stuff on that level. That is what we are competing against.
You must have missed it but the coaches do have access to private jets to recruit.

I mean, the extension did its job for Dino of having a prohibitive buyout to protect his position.

But yeah, agents remain undefeated.
I meant horrible from a Wildhack perspective. In such a rush to do it and the results have not been great.

Sorry. When Dino was extended, he was extended through the end of the 2024 season? So he has 2 years remaining at this time OR is it just 1 year at this point?
We don’t know for sure. But if it is through 2024, he basically has a year left on his deal because you can’t recruit if you have an ending contract.

I gave you a thumbs down because you're old school.

Dude got 10 wins, the place would've burned if he left before 2019,
It was a well earned 'dislike'. I wear it with pride.
That's why I added 'in retrospect'.
A shorter extension would have been nice, in retrospect.

We cannot have our cake and eat it too.

We cannot not have the money to hire and fire people at will, and also be so concerned about continuity. Maybe we should embrace being a stepping stone.

Let Marrone move on.

Let Babers move on.

Hope there is a buyout.

Embrace being a great spot for new up and comers.

But, no, we extend Babers & there is no clause giving us any outs if he absolutely poops the bed. Which he did.

Again, all in retrospect.

Best record in 65 years and fired for going 6-6. His replacements were all worse.

If 'continuity' is the argument, then give me 18 years of .500 ball under 1 coach, instead of 18 years of .389 ball under 4 coaches.

Su.png

My understanding is the buyout made it tough to get rid of Dino and staff after last season.

When you fire a coach, you have to pay the payout and still need enough money to hire a quality staff.

It was more affordable to retain Dino for a year and give a little more money to pay for assistants.

The AD is also trying to invest in football facilities (Dome, Lally Complex, other recruiting functions) to compete better with peer schools like Pitt and BC. I would think the money raised for those projects was earmarked only for those and not for coaching changes.

SU is making a lot more money in the ACC than the Big East, but it still doesn't have an SEC or Big Ten TV contract and a huge network of boosters to lean on. Have to be strategic with spending the money they have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom