HCDM is to HC Frank Maloney as ACC Membership is to opening Carrier Dome? | Syracusefan.com

HCDM is to HC Frank Maloney as ACC Membership is to opening Carrier Dome?

nralecuse

Walk On
If so then; the next HC is the one prophesied to return us to greatness?

End of a looooooooooooooong Mooooooooooooooonday !!! LOL !!!
GO ORANGE !

How do you account for the guy between P and HCDM?

images

Frank was given seven years.

Coach Marrone is heading into year four.

Doug would kill for the type of offensive playmakers Frank had toward the end.

was frank really there 7yrs? my time flies i guess i did not count the building of the carrier dome or the years at archbold that should not count against him

Should this be the "beginning of the end" of the HCDM era (and I sincerely hope it's not), I'll remember Doug as the coach that reinvigorated the program. The one that reminded us what it meant to have passion for SU football.

If another coach is brought in to replace Doug, that coach will have a MUCH easier path to glory due to the work HCDM has put into the program.

Joe Morris, Dave Warner and Nick Bruckner?

The 79 team that went to the Independence Bowl was a very good team. It in included future NFL players Art Monk (HOF), Joe Morris, Craig Wolfley and Bill Hurley. These guys played in the NFL for a long time.

Maloney also brought in a whole bunch of guys as assistants who went on to significant careers.

If anybody got screwed in the whole SU football saga, it was Maloney. He did an OK job with almost nothing. And it just wasn't facilities that were the problem. The recruiting was greatly damaged by the clowns that quit en masse that Gross was apologizing to and celebrating a little while back.

Maloney also brought in a whole bunch of guys as assistants who went on to significant careers.

If anybody got screwed in the whole SU football saga, it was Maloney. He did an OK job with almost nothing. And it just wasn't facilities that were the problem. The recruiting was greatly damaged by the clowns that quit en masse that Gross was apologizing to and celebrating a little while back.
I agree that Maloney got the short end of the stick in a difficult period but can you elaborate on what you are referring to with your "clowns that quit" statement?

The 79 team that went to the Independence Bowl was a very good team. It in included future NFL players Art Monk (HOF), Joe Morris, Craig Wolfley and Bill Hurley. These guys played in the NFL for a long time.

All but Hurley did. And the Independence bowl team was 7-5. They were a decent team with a few great players.

All but Hurley did. And the Independence bowl team was 7-5. They were a decent team with a few great players.

Even Hurley hung around the NFL for a few years.

He was never going to be an NFL quarterback, but he was a tremendous playmaker as a college quarterback.

Also OL Andrew Gissinger, played for years with the Chargers.

Tom Coughlin and Nick Saban and not bad names. Believe Jim Tressel was another.

Even Hurley hung around the NFL for a few years.

He was never going to be an NFL quarterback, but he was a tremendous playmaker as a college quarterback.
My comment about Hurley was in reference to him being part of a group that " played in the NFL for a long time". I said all but Hurley did.

My comment about Hurley was in reference to him being part of a group that " played in the NFL for a long time". I said all but Hurley did.

Right. And I clarified that he did play in the NFL for a few seasons, but not as a quarterback.

The relevant point is that regardless of the longevity of his NFL career, he was a terrific college quarterback.

Weird op. It's been a while since the SATs but I can't make any sense of it.

4 Years in the NFL at safety is hardly a "cup of coffee" career. I'd like to see what the average career span is.

Hurley, IMHO, was one of the Top 7 all time SU QBs and vastly superior to anyone since McNabb by leaps and bounds.

Right, but I was talking about the team that played in the Dome the next year - Monk, Hurley and I think Wolfley were gone by 1980.

Frank Maloney did a fine job with very little to work with - he was the inspiration for Coyne Field, upgrades with the Manley Complex and of course the Dome. He sufferred from a lack of PR skills - surprising because he seemed like a very personable guy - and the reality that most new ADs want their own guy as head football coach.

Ironically, Coach Mac who was brought here to run a "pro offense" figured out that Maloney was right all along - the program needed to run an option-based offense to accomodate the talent level.

It seems that Coach Marrone might be coming to a similar conclusion.

Right, but I was talking about the team that played in the Dome the next year - Monk, Hurley and I think Wolfley were gone by 1980.

Frank Maloney did a fine job with very little to work with - he was the inspiration for Coyne Field, upgrades with the Manley Complex and of course the Dome. He sufferred from a lack of PR skills - surprising because he seemed like a very personable guy - and the reality that most new ADs want their own guy as head football coach.

Ironically, Coach Mac who was brought here to run a "pro offense" figured out that Maloney was right all along - the program needed to run an option-based offense to accomodate the talent level.

It seems that Coach Marrone might be coming to a similar conclusion.

Ashton, Smith, and Gulley running the option would make me happy and would put a lot of butts in the seats for at least a few games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom