HCSS and the offense | Syracusefan.com

HCSS and the offense

sufandu

Living Legend
As a former quarterback and with so many experienced assistants on the defensive side of the ball, is there anyway SS leaves the defense to someone else and was familiar enough with the DM/NH offense to make a seemless transition? Just a thought. Maybe he doesn't even want to. Having experience on both sides of the ball, I would think he has a pretty good idea of what he wants.

LETS THINK, OUR TALENTED FITH YEAR QB RAN IT GREAT WITH 2 SENIOR RECEIVERS, I WOULD LOVE TO SEE IT, LETS HOPE WE HAVE THE TOOLS TO, IT'S A TALL ORDER.

I assume he already has guys in place on the defensive side of the ball that he trusts that could bump up to DC and pretty sure he knows what he wants out of the O and will act accordingly when it comes to his hire, I doubt he'll be on either side of the ball especially since he's a HC for the first time. Hopefully he'll delegate and the assistants will go from there. I don't know if he'd be a micro manager.

LETS THINK, OUR TALENTED FITH YEAR QB RAN IT GREAT WITH 2 SENIOR RECEIVERS, I WOULD LOVE TO SEE IT, LETS HOPE WE HAVE THE TOOLS TO, IT'S A TALL ORDER.
I don't know if I worded everything exactly as I was thinking it. I didn't mean to imply that we'd be as productive, just that maybe their wouldn't be wholesale changes in philosophy, terminology, etc.

I assume he already has guys in place on the defensive side of the ball that he trusts that could bump up to DC and pretty sure he knows what he wants out of the O and will act accordingly when it comes to his hire, I doubt he'll be on either side of the ball especially since he's a HC for the first time. Hopefully he'll delegate and the assistants will go from there. I don't know if he'd be a micro manager.
I don't necessarily mean acting as OC, but maybe more that he would let the defense run itself since he has more experienced assistants over there, at least until he hires an OC, similar to what DM did with him.

Shafers conversations should be quite interesting and what kind of give and take he'll do makes me wonder how he'll hire. I'm pretty sure I can say for a fact he won't lie/mislead like how he was swayed over to Michigan by RR from Stanford, he'll be pretty upfront I'd guess. It's kind of exciting and is definitely keeping me on this board more often than I should be!

It's kind of exciting and is definitely keeping me on this board more often than I should be!
Yeah, just for the heck of it I checked whether or not the post count on the football side was catching up to the basketball side with all of this excitement.

Considering his overall responsibilities as HC, I have serious doubts how "hands on" Shafer will be with the defense, let alone the offense. Do the folks who expect him to double as DC also expect that he will spend game day in the coach's box calling defensive plays? I can't imagine Shafer not having a separate OC and DC under him.

Considering his overall responsibilities as HC, I have serious doubts how "hands on" Shafer will be with the defense, let alone the offense. Do the folks who expect him to double as DC also expect that he will spend game day in the coach's box calling defensive plays? I can't imagine Shafer not having a separate OC and DC under him.
Not expecting him to pull double duty. It was pretty clear that DM just left Shafer to do his thing due to his DC experience while he put a lot of his focus on the offense. I was wondering if Shafer might do the same thing given he has experienced assistants on that side and we'll have more continuity there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom