Heart, massive heart | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Heart, massive heart

I like Red, I defend Red, but these guys aren’t that good.
Teams often improve dramatically over the course of the season, and there’s a good chance this one will. This Cuse team is comprised of mostly sophomores so they’re still very young and have lots of learning and growing to do. But there is a lot of talent to work with and develop.

Everyone saying it’s a tournament team the last few years - how many were at large bids because they were a top 40 team? They consistently win a league full of future insurance salesmen and get an auto bid.

Credit where credits due that was unexpected I thought this team was toast they certainly showed heart that bodes well It's going to be a tough season keep getting better
They looked like dog doo the first 2.5 games. They showed heart and a spark of life in the second half last night. Let’s hope that was enough to light a fire.

This I agree with. I really don’t want to depend on Bell to have his best game ever to eek out victories against lesser teams.
I suspect Bell will likely be up and down all year. But he’s a legit shooter, and that’s something this team needs desperately. He struggled with his shot the first couple of games but he has the ability to turn it on and get red hot. As long as he and Taylor can keep defenses honest, that will give us a chance. And hopefully they can fix JJ’s shot, ugh, that’s been a problem so far. Now if only Bell would grab a freakin board. I thought he had a couple but the box score shows a big fat zero.

Who cares? New coach, new era. Everyone is learning. Just enjoy the ride.
I think the learning part is still very much undecided. They are still making the same mistakes. The difference was trunk monkey and Colgate’s PG had to sit out at the end with a sprained ankle - helped them unravel against the press.

Last edited:
we know he's a great recruiter already.

And talent is extremely important.
great? Not yet. Good? Yes. For a definition of great see what scheyer is doing.

Ultimately though isn’t recruiting more and more about NIL?

I see Chris Bell gaining more and more confidence every game and his attitude shows it. He looks way more assertive going to the basket plus he’s getting love from his teammates which definitely boosts his confidence even more.

I suspect Bell will likely be up and down all year. But he’s a legit shooter, and that’s something this team needs desperately. He struggled with his shot the first couple of games but he has the ability to turn it on and get red hot. As long as he and Taylor can keep defenses honest, that will give us a chance. And hopefully they can fix JJ’s shot, ugh, that’s been a problem so far. Now if only Bell would grab a freakin board. I thought he had a couple but the box score shows a big fat zero.
He has an uncanny ability to register no stats but shots made and attempted. Great offensive game so I'm not trying to hate but it's just reality.

Going back to last season though whenever he gets a clean block officials call foul. Happened many times including vs Colgate

great? Not yet. Good? Yes. For a definition of great see what scheyer is doing.

Ultimately though isn’t recruiting more and more about NIL?
Look at the situation Red was recruiting into. The team was a mess, JB retired in a messy he said she said situation. We hadn't been to the tournament in a few years. We had our first losing season in modern history. Our NIL was reported to be sub par. The metal recycling guy went from an "asset" to trying to burn the program down.

During all of this, Red recruited a very solid recruiting class for next year and got a couple transfers that would have been or best class in a decade of they came in as freshman.

Meanwhile Scheyer just keeps up business as usual. His biggest struggle is all the money he's been paying recruits all along is now legal. Boohoo.

Given their situations, I think Red is the better recruiter.

I think the learning part is still very much undecided. They are still making the same mistakes. The difference was trunk monkey and Colgate’s PG had to sit out at the end with a sprained ankle - helped them unravel against the press.
There are 31 chapters in this book. No one knows how it's going to end, but last night was the first indication that the team can play as a team. Uniting for a common goal.

A glass half full of Orange Juice tastes better than a glass half empty.

He has an uncanny ability to register no stats but shots made and attempted. Great offensive game so I'm not trying to hate but it's just reality.

Going back to last season though whenever he gets a clean block officials call foul. Happened many times including vs Colgate
Still no way to defend his lack of boards, but his 1v1 D was at least solid yesterday, as was his play in the full court press. Does a decent job contesting shots, has good quickness, looks to get steals, and did a good job not losing his man when they were doing that weave type offense where they hand the ball of to a guy and set a pick for him. Lack of assists I can live with as he is rarely getting in the lane drawing a second defender, but he did also have at least 6 points driving to the rim last night. Teams have to respect the shot so he can get inside by selling the pump fake. Hope he continues to develop that type of look and start looking to pass when he gets in the lane. He is still developing into a complete player. Not there yet, but making progress and worthy of minutes.

i'm not ready to forgive the first half effort this team showed last night. NO WAY. you were BAD !
that said i think this experience might provide a few positive lessons worth learning early.
#1 hustle yo butt off and defend whistle to whistle
#2 ain't no hole too big to dig yourself out off second half.

Still no way to defend his lack of boards, but his 1v1 D was at least solid yesterday, as was his play in the full court press. Does a decent job contesting shots, has good quickness, looks to get steals, and did a good job not losing his man when they were doing that weave type offense where they hand the ball of to a guy and set a pick for him. Lack of assists I can live with as he is rarely getting in the lane drawing a second defender, but he did also have at least 6 points driving to the rim last night. Teams have to respect the shot so he can get inside by selling the pump fake. Hope he continues to develop that type of look and start looking to pass when he gets in the lane. He is still developing into a complete player. Not there yet, but making progress and worthy of minutes.
When we played zone, the common theme was that it's difficult to rebound out of a zone. Now we play man and it's painful watching guys like Chris, but not the only one, standing and not reacting to the shot going up. Not even anticipating where a rebound could land.

I would think you could teach it, but a guy is going to want to be a good rebounder.

Trunk monkey won’t work against better teams
with the current roster and "systems" in place...the half court offense and defenses will be worse

anything that can be done to make things hectic and increase pace will be a benefit, imo

something, anything to get the energy high and get the players aggressive needs to be the plan...

I'd start every game with press and swtich out if it isnt working...at least it will get the blood pumping

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom