Help! Is Route 81 North Open? | Syracusefan.com

Help! Is Route 81 North Open?

OrangePA

Hall of Fame
I have to travel north tomorrow AM for the game.

I see no indication that Route 81 is closed in northern PA or the southern tier of NY.

Anybody know for certain?

Thank you.

Last I read (and posted for Consiglerie), 81 was closed between exits 6 and 7. Don't know if it's open yet.

Update:

This link says "Storm damage on I-81 between Exit 6 S and Castle Crk". Doesn't really say if it's open or closed.

Another update"

According to the same site, "Through traffic lanes closed on I-81 at Exit 182". Don't know if this is South of where you are starting or not. According to the site, this is supposed to end at 10:53 tomorrow morning. Awfully precise, I would say. ;)

Good luck

Check the post OT: Southern Tier Flooding. I had the same questions and it looks like there is still a detour between 6 and 7. Not sure where you are coming from but I'm taking 87 to 90 from the NYC area instead of the 80-380-81 route I normally take.

I see no indication that Route 81 is closed in northern PA or the southern tier of NY.

Thank you.

Right now there is a detour that takes you through Storrs. ;)

Nah, I'm a Syracuse Football guy to the end. Neither rain nor snow nor gloom of night.

I know that as much as anyone. Tell you're folks "that internet guy" said hello. :)

Exit 6 is after the I-88 split off. It's the exit for US 11 and NY 12, Norwich/Greene/Utica. Exit 7 is Castle Creek. It's possible to get off at exit 6, take 11 North to where it splits, and goes left- but stay off 11. Go straight up 12. Go as far as Sherburne where you again veer to the left onto 12B, take that to Hamilton, up to Route 20, 20 to Cazenovia etc. I'd guess from where you get off in Binghamton to Hamilton will take you 90 minutes, then another 20-30 to Syracuse. It's probably the only dry and not mud-covered road aside from the thruway that can get you there. So not sure if it's worth it. But if you go that way, honk as you drive past my house.

edit- Get off at 6 and go up Rte. 12. about 20 minutes to Greene, NY. Take a left at the light onto NY 206, follow into Whitney Point, right onto 79 towards Ithaca, and hop on 81 there. That's only a 35 minute detour. And you won't have to honk.

Between the NY/PA border and Binghamton

They're North of Binghamton. Exits 1-3 are south of Binghamton, 4 is right in town, and 5 is just north of the 17/81 split.

Thank you.
I don't know about from the New York border north but drove Rt 81 today from Virginia to Binghamton and back. I took two detours on the way up, but 81 was open in both directions on my way back. The water had subsided some by the time I returned and there was moderate traffic in both directions. It's very messy in Binghamton but think they've tried to keep traffic moving, if somewhat delayed where there were lane and exit closures. There were a lot of trucks on the road this evening heading south from Binghamton which I think means that traffic was at least moving on 81 or via detours. For the most part, traffic was moving normally. The worst traffic I hit was on the way back. Southbound traffic was backed up many miles from the 81 bridge across the Susquehanna in Harrisburg. I detoured on 83 to 581 back to 81 south at Camp Hill. If you're coming from south of Harrisburg and northbound traffic is backed up from the same area, the same detour may work well from the south. I think the river will be cresting in Harrisburg early on Saturday morning.

if need be take 17 to Bingo then take 81N from there. Thats my plan for tomorrow. Can't wait for the game.

I don't know about from the New York border north but drove Rt 81 today from Virginia to Binghamton and back. I took two detours on the way up, but 81 was open in both directions on my way back. The water had subsided some by the time I returned and there was moderate traffic in both directions. It's very messy in Binghamton but think they've tried to keep traffic moving, if somewhat delayed where there were lane and exit closures. There were a lot of trucks on the road this evening heading south from Binghamton which I think means that traffic was at least moving on 81 or via detours. For the most part, traffic was moving normally. The worst traffic I hit was on the way back. Southbound traffic was backed up many miles from the 81 bridge across the Susquehanna in Harrisburg. I detoured on 83 to 581 back to 81 south at Camp Hill. If you're coming from south of Harrisburg and northbound traffic is backed up from the same area, the same detour may work well from the south. I think the river will be cresting in Harrisburg early on Saturday morning.
Excellent!

Thank you!

Thank you.

Dr. Gross was down there all night running the pumps to clear way for the northbound traffic for the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom