Here’s an unpopular and unfortunate truth.. | Syracusefan.com

Here’s an unpopular and unfortunate truth..

I’m afraid this Patrick Ewing fella is going to be a much better coach than we thought (hoped).

We won't be seeing them much no?

I hope he does great. It’s worlds more fun to beat them when they’re good. The magic has been gone for a long time for Cuse/ Gtown. I’d love to see it back.I know this is sacrilege but I like Ewing now. He’s a good man. My hatred of him was always in a sports sense.

I’m afraid this Patrick Ewing fella is going to be a much better coach than we thought (hoped).
Not such a bad thing.
All the more reason to loathe him and enjoy beating him.

I hope he does great. It’s worlds more fun to beat them when they’re good. The magic has been gone for a long time for Cuse/ Gtown. I’d love to see it back.I know this is sacrilege but I like Ewing now. He’s a good man. My hatred of him was always in a sports sense.

As much money as he made in the NBA and the level of star he was, I respect him for putting in the work to be a good coach.

He was a great Knick.

Greg Paulus is still the best hoops coach in DC. ;)

Cmon last years game was great so was last Big East game its still a rivalry we'll always be the biggest team on their schedule even if the same isn't true of them to us.

The scheduling is on our terms and with the ACC going to 20 games I am OK with taking a year or two off here and there but this game should not go anywhere long term.

Ewing was a top NBA assistant and sort of got screwed to not get a head coaching job. He also couldn't be in a better recruiting location hence why we are happy to give them home and homes and not push for games at MSG. And the NBE isn't the toughest league damn it got slapped tonight. Hes going to get some good players and have a Nova like run sooner rather than later. Next years game in the Dome could be 2 top ten teams.

I am of two minds. I have no love for G'town, but I want Ewing to do well. He's done everything right. After a long career when he often played hurt, he paid his dues as an assistant coach. Now he has his chance. I wish him well.

Grew up a Knick fan, Patrick was with Gtown before I started following bball -- he's was and is my favorite Knick - I'm not alone here as a Ewing fan because of my Knick fandom. -- Get at me lol.

I didn’t see to much actual coaching going on in that game.

It looked like he rolled the ball out and told them to play. A lot of driving to the basket and very few offensive plays.

Let’s see how that works against a good zone and a big front line.

Why would anybody have thought he would not make a good coach ?

He paid his NBA dues and really deserved a shot up there.

He has the reputation, so he should be able to recruit if he puts the energy in.

Like him or not, there was no reason to think he would not get the job done for them.

That freshman Mac McClung looks like he's got some potential. Was well known for above average athleticism but people weren't sure how it would translate. I watched highlights from the Illinois game and he belongs out there. Will be interesting to see who else Ewing can bring in.

That freshman Mac McClung looks like he's got some potential. Was well known for above average athleticism but people weren't sure how it would translate. I watched highlights from the Illinois game and he belongs out there. Will be interesting to see who else Ewing can bring in.

Stealing Akinjo from UConn once Ollie was fired was another good signing.

The implication that “good coaching” means the coach has the team under his thumb all game like a bunch of robots is off the mark to me.

Teams that can operate effectively while appearing to have just “had the balls rolled out to them” are often very well coached.

It's just funny because Jim gets a lot of criticism by many for lack of "dynamic" or creative offensive sets, for lack of a better way to put it. The phrase "roll the ball out there" has been used, often, to describe how SU plays. This alone completely contradicts what he was implying in the post about georgetown because as we know, a statue of Jimmy B is in townie's living room.

It's just funny because Jim gets a lot of criticism by many for lack of "dynamic" or creative offensive sets, for lack of a better way to put it. The phrase "roll the ball out there" has been used, often, to describe how SU plays. This alone completely contradicts what he was implying in the post about georgetown because as we know, a statue of Jimmy B is in townie's living room.

Agreed. Boeheim also used to get criticized as a “roll the ball” out coach in the Douglas era when our offenses were outstanding. Steve Fisher used to get criticized for that a lot too in the Fab Five era which was wrong too.

I didn’t watch the game(I’m not watching GTown), but I get wary when I hear the “roll the balls out” thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom