Here’s an unpopular and unfortunate truth.. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Here’s an unpopular and unfortunate truth..

The implication that “good coaching” means the coach has the team under his thumb all game like a bunch of robots is off the mark to me.

Teams that can operate effectively while appearing to have just “had the balls rolled out to them” are often very well coached.

Well, like in everything else, there are gradations to that.

Ewing was so intellectually deficient in high school that Georgetown had to agree to give him all his tests orally before his handlers would let him go there.

Ewing was so intellectually deficient in high school that Georgetown had to agree to give him all his tests orally before his handlers would let him go there.

Ok. He’s still spent his entire adult life employed in basketball. I’m sure he knows a thing or two about the game. One doesn’t need to have been a good student as a kid to be good at dealing with his players, having a knack for using them correctly, knowing basketball, being motivated to gameplan, good at selling program to recruits, etc. - things that go a long way in being a good coach.

I honestly haven’t paid enough attention to know how good of a coach he is, but I don’t think his childhood grades and reading ability have anything to do with it. He’s 56.

so that confirms that georgetown gives good oral.

edit: oh, and it's 1:36 local

Ewing was far from being Georgetown’s first choice. They went down a long list of much better qualified candidates eventually coming to the realization that no one any good wanted the job because they didn’t want JT looking over their shoulder.

Ewing was recruited as sort of a last resort and had to be sold on taking the job. They knew he wouldn’t have any problem taking whatever orders JT Jr wants to give.

I think he’s a serious downgrade from JTIII, who was a smart guy.

Given all the assets GU has it’s not hard for them to be average in the Big East. They were picked 7th in the preseason by the BE coaches.

But the GU Admissions office probably isn’t going to allow any more Reggie Williams or Michael Graham or Ed ”Bowie Knife” Sheffey non-student athletes in.

As much money as he made in the NBA and the level of star he was, I respect him for putting in the work to be a good coach.

When did he become a good coach?

A win over Illinois establishes that?

When did he become a good coach?

A win over Illinois establishes that?

I said for “putting in the work” to be a good coach...which I assume he’s doing.

I have no idea if he’s actually good or not. I don’t watch them. Seems to be trying though.

He could be collecting a much easier check elsewhere off his name.

It's just funny because Jim gets a lot of criticism by many for lack of "dynamic" or creative offensive sets, for lack of a better way to put it. The phrase "roll the ball out there" has been used, often, to describe how SU plays. This alone completely contradicts what he was implying in the post about georgetown because as we know, a statue of Jimmy B is in townie's living room.

yup, I agree if JB says it or does it, it’s almost certainly right in my opinion.

But for others who are experiencing painful frustration after losses or delusions of grandeur about their own basketball knowledge and coaching ability, JB isn’t any smarter than they are.

There’s a difference between offensive freedom and what was going on in the GU vs Illinois game the other night that you won’t be able to see in the highlights.

He's one of the hardest working people in the sport, between playing/coaching. Gotta have respect for a guy that works hard, especially when he doesn't have to.

He's one of the hardest working people in the sport, between playing/coaching. Gotta have respect for a guy that works hard, especially when he doesn't have to.

He was a thug at Georgetown.

My favorite Ewing moment was when Pearl punched him out.

yup, I agree if JB says it or does it, it’s almost certainly right in my opinion.

But for others who are experiencing painful frustration after losses or delusions of grandeur about their own basketball knowledge and coaching ability, JB isn’t any smarter than they are.

There’s a difference between offensive freedom and what was going on in the GU vs Illinois game the other night that you won’t be able to see in the highlights.
So how did the o look last night compared to ewing’s roll the ball out style?

So how did the o look last night compared to ewing’s roll the ball out style?

Did you watch the GU vs Illinois game?

You would have to to appreciate the difference.

Guys I have it on good authority that Ewing will never be a good coach because he wasnt doing differential calculus back in 1979.

Feels kinda gross to still be celebrating the lack of educational opportunities and subsequent poor fan treatment he received over his lack of educational opportunities 40 years ago. Says more about our country than it does about a teenager IMO.

On court stuff is fair game. He was chippy and Pearl going back after him was awesome.

Guys I have it on good authority that Ewing will never be a good coach because he wasnt doing differential calculus back in 1979.
Abraham de Moivre owned him underneath...

Feels kinda gross to still be celebrating the lack of educational opportunities and subsequent poor fan treatment he received over his lack of educational opportunities 40 years ago. Says more about our country than it does about a teenager IMO.

On court stuff is fair game. He was chippy and Pearl going back after him was awesome.

I mean I have no idea if this contributed or not but he didn’t even come to the States until he was twelve.

What lack of educational opportunities are you talking about?

What do you know about Ewing’s background and Cambridge and Rindge High School?

What lack of educational opportunities are you talking about?

What do you know about Ewing’s background and Cambridge and Rindge High School?

“Ewing's parents immigrated to America when Patrick was seven. However, the family suffered so much financially that Ewing remained on the island for four years with his siblings, until his parents earned enough to bring each of the children to the U.S. Ewing finally came to America at the age of 11.”

The seeds were sown well before he got to HS.

Last edited:
a profession that only uses the letters x and o is a smart choice for a guy who struggles with literacy

you are right. good thing he can't read these posts

You see this irony, no?

What I see is someone trying to make a point that is no where as insightful or clever as he thinks it is.

There are gradations of systems that allow lots of player freedom. In the GU game I watched, they had given up even pretending wanting to throw a single pass. It was, for large periods, pure one-on-one school yard stuff. (“Clear out, I’m going to the hoop!”)

Battle does that occasionally, and sometimes Frank too. They were forced to last year.

If Sidibe and Pascal can’t catch the ball and do anything with it, being in a patterned offense won’t change that.

“Ewing's parents immigrated to America when Patrick was seven. However, the family suffered so much financially that Ewing remained on the island for four years with his siblings, until his parents earned enough to bring each of the children to the U.S. Ewing finally came to America at the age of 11.”

The seeds were sown well before he got to HS.

You’re the one using the stereotypes here. The requirement that PE not have to take written tests didn’t mean he couldn’t understand the questions and provide answers. But rather that he was unable to provide written answers on tests. I don’t know anything about “learning Disabilities”, but that sounds like one to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom