Here is what I know (2nd hand - somewhat long) | Syracusefan.com

Here is what I know (2nd hand - somewhat long)

chakka3421

All Conference
Here is what I know (2nd hand good inside source). Plans for a practice facility was proposed 1st year HCDM was hired - this has been on the table for 4 years now. TGD is also a football first AD. The resistance to upgrade football facilities comes from the Board of Trustees many of whom are basketball homies and still can't believe football drives the bus. The football upgrades needed exceed $20 million. HCDM is extremely frustrated with the university administration.

Secondly Trustees are sticker shocked about how much they need to pay HCDM almost twice as much now to keep him - $2.5 million a year versus the $1.25 million they are paying him now. Long term negotiations broke down because HCDM wants a commitment from the SU for salary, facilities and contract. Trustees acting like Congress and can't agree on what to do - this whole thing will come down to the wire - this week probably - as SU Trustees are on their own "cliff" right now. They can't believe that the football coach will need to be paid so much more than their beloved JB.

We will see if SU Trustees comes through this week - source believes its not really HCDM or TGD as being the problem - the ball is currently in the chancellor & trustees court right now. All HCDM wants is to be paid a "competitive wage" like what Charlie Strong gets and he will stay. HCDM wants this now since we will going to ACC next year - money will be coming - and he feels the practice facility is necessary to remain competitive on the recruiting front and win more recruiting battles. Unfortunately, the "Melo" center is being used against us as our recruits are being told we are basketball first school - just look at practice facilities!

Honestly, I would not stay in my job if I didn't believe I was fully supported by my superiors, not given the tools to succeed and have opportunities to go elsewhere. I still think this job is HCDM's dream job but it seems he is really frustrated with SUs leadership meaning trustees. It is a real possibility that we lose HCDM this week if the trustees don't act and act soon.

I am far from an insider but I am not surprised by any of that at all. Make a lot of sense.

This is so beyond concerning that I dont even know where to begin. Maybe our BOT and Chancellor should look at the conference we just left behind to see what happens when you neglect football.

Here is what I know (2nd hand good inside source). Plans for a practice facility was proposed 1st year HCDM was hired - this has been on the table for 4 years now. TGD is also a football first AD. The resistance to upgrade football facilities comes from the Board of Trustees many of whom are basketball homies and still can't believe football drives the bus. The football upgrades needed exceed $20 million. HCDM is extremely frustrated with the university administration.

Secondly Trustees are sticker shocked about how much they need to pay HCDM almost twice as much now to keep him - $2.5 million a year versus the $1.25 million they are paying him now. Long term negotiations broke down because HCDM wants a commitment from the SU for salary, facilities and contract. Trustees acting like Congress and can't agree on what to do - this whole thing will come down to the wire - this week probably - as SU Trustees are on their own "cliff" right now. They can't believe that the football coach will need to be paid so much more than their beloved JB.

We will see if SU Trustees comes through this week - source believes its not really HCDM or TGD as being the problem - the ball is currently in the chancellor & trustees court right now. All HCDM wants is to be paid a "competitive wage" like what Charlie Strong gets and he will stay. HCDM wants this now since we will going to ACC next year - money will be coming - and he feels the practice facility is necessary to remain competitive on the recruiting front and win more recruiting battles. Unfortunately, the "Melo" center is being used against us as our recruits are being told we are basketball first school - just look at practice facilities!

Honestly, I would not stay in my job if I didn't believe I was fully supported by my superiors, not given the tools to succeed and have opportunities to go elsewhere. I still think this job is HCDM's dream job but it seems he is really frustrated with SUs leadership meaning trustees. It is a real possibility that we lose HCDM this week if the trustees don't act and act soon.
This makes complete sense to me. Who would want to be HC here under theses circumstances? Good luck replacing him if he leaves

Makes sense, you can't expect employees to stay out of blind loyalty... Facilities remain the biggest drawback for this program right now a 5 mil Reno to Manley is nothing more than a temp fix to stop the bleeding but it remains lipstick on a pig. They need to invest 20-25 mil into facilities or we will remain with the dukes, wakes, etc expecting miracles from our coaching staff to put a bowl team out there... The job is not desirable with the pay scale and facilities

Well that puts a perspective on things doesn't it?

facilities yes pay scale no a i have heard that he had agreed to a number

Try recruting with Syracuse facilities... It's like being a second rate copier salesman..

Reactions: CIL
To piggyback off what was said before, I you can add the fans to Marrone's growing level Of frustration. SpecificAlly shitty attendance numbers, hate mail etc.

I don't blame him for leaving. It's just a shame Syracuse did this to itself.

There's a reason why NW has been able to keep Pat Fitgerald, an NW alum, also in his " dream job." They and the fans support him 100%.

I'm not surprised by the incompetence of the board. Seems that no one in this town gets it. They don't seem to be progressive and don't accept change very well. They don't seem to comprehend the concept that you have to invest to get something in return.

They want to keep doing things the way that they always have. Marrone and Gross understand how things need to be done and are living in the 21st century not the 1980s. If some one on the board reads this board PLEASE GET YOUR TOGETHER!!

Do the right thing here. recognize the talented coach you have and reward him accordingly. Recognize how much money you will lose if you don't invest in him and the facilities now!!

This makes sense. In addition, I've heard that the BOT has become cynical of TGD's hiring practices.

They believe he overpays. See salaries for Luke Jensen & Gary Gait. - non-revenue coaches making relatively big bucks.

It's not helping his case with this situation.

With the ACC $ coming in, what's the damn problem?
exactly, sounds like they're not looking forward enough and focusing too much on the right now.

To piggyback off what was said before, I you can add the fans to Marrone's growing level Of frustration. SpecificAlly shitty attendance numbers, hate mail etc.

I don't blame him for leaving. It's just a shame Syracuse did this to itself.

There's a reason why NW has been able to keep Pat Fitgerald, an NW alum, also in his " dream job." They and the fans support him 100%.
Listen, especially if what stated above is true, I will be sick to my stomach if we lose Marrone, but im sick of the blame the fans stuff. Pat Fitzgerald didnt lose almost every home game last year against a garbage Big East schedule. They play in the B1G against real competition. Lets see what happens if Marrone stays, we beat PSU and then play some real teams, ACC teams at the Dome. The fans will come out for that. This past year was great but lets not pretend last year, no bowl game, losing down the stretch, not winning home games didnt hurt this programs progress. We have another chance now, will we have HCDM to lead us? I hope so! Not defending hate mail, thats just stupid but the attendence stuff is something that "unfortunately" will have to be earned, but it can be earned, the support he wants is attainable in Syracuse.

This makes sense. In addition, I've heard that the BOT has become cynical of TGD's hiring practices.

They believe he overpays. See salaries for Luke Jensen & Gary Gait. - non-revenue coaches making relatively big bucks.

This isn't a non revenue coach! This is an entirely different situation. This is the big revenue coach and you have to pay fair market value just like any other job on earth. He deserves to be paid a competitive salarly and have competitive facilities. This isn't difficult Jake.

I know that cornell is having much of the same issues on a smaller scale.. they have told the AD that they want a competitive fball program so go get a coach that can compete. they were then given the numbers on what that would cost and they said no way we are spending that.. why go to the ACC if the plan was to never pony up to become a big time program to compete in the ACC.. it was all about fball when we moved.

If this is all true, then UGH. Are they even paying attention to what happened in the Big East? Do they want to end up like Georgetown?

We need a good football product, so when the last pieces are put in for the super conferences, people are saying "Who cares if they aren't AAU/Public/etc, SU has good football. We should take them." Must be very frustrating trying to convince people living in the past.

Makes sense, you can't expect employees to stay out of blind loyalty... Facilities remain the biggest drawback for this program right now a 5 mil Reno to Manley is nothing more than a temp fix to stop the bleeding but it remains lipstick on a pig. They need to invest 20-25 mil into facilities or we will remain with the dukes, wakes, etc expecting miracles from our coaching staff to put a bowl team out there... The job is not desirable with the pay scale and facilities

Actually they really need a capital investment campaign where the ultimate goal is $100m for Athletic Facility (i.e. football) upgrades and modernization.

they win right?

Gross does overpay but I believe it's the facilities that are Marrone's biggest bitch... Probably wants to be paid competitively but within reason. Either they do it or they don't, but it won't take long to figure out. I think doug knows what he up against at this point to get to the next level and I am sure gross agrees with him, hence the quote that he can coach as long as gross is there... It's not a gross/Marrone deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom