Here is what I know (2nd hand - somewhat long) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Here is what I know (2nd hand - somewhat long)

Listen, especially if what stated above is true, I will be sick to my stomach if we lose Marrone, but im sick of the blame the fans stuff. Pat Fitzgerald didnt lose almost every home game last year against a garbage Big East schedule. They play in the B1G against real competition. Lets see what happens if Marrone stays, we beat PSU and then play some real teams, ACC teams at the Dome. The fans will come out for that. This past year was great but lets not pretend last year, no bowl game, losing down the stretch, not winning home games didnt hurt this programs progress. We have another chance now, will we have HCDM to lead us? I hope so! Not defending hate mail, thats just stupid but the attendence stuff is something that "unfortunately" will have to be earned, but it can be earned, the support he wants is attainable in Syracuse.

I hear you but when you can't sell out a 50k seat stadium versus top 10 WVU in 2011 while you are 4-2 for a marquee matchup...when are you ever going to sell out this place?

It shows a lack of support! Just like with the facilities, it hurts the program specifically recruiting. How can you succeed if the life line of your program, the fans, plus the administrators don't support you 100%? Not saying this is Tennessee here but as horrid as they are, they have 10x the support despite the stupid hires they've made recently.

Wait, SU being cheap...the utter absurdity of it all I say poppycock!

They better give Doug what he wants in this regard and a lifetime supply of bologna to boot just for letting it come to this point.

Sears Cup standings are not important to the majority of the BOT.

I hear you but when you can't sell out a 50k seat stadium versus top 10 WVU in 2011 while you are 4-2 for a marquee matchup...when are you ever going to sell out this place?

It shows a lack of support! Just like with the facilities, it hurts the program specifically recruiting. How can you succeed if the life line of your program, the fans, plus the administrators don't support you 100%? Not saying this is Tennessee here but as horrid as they are, they have 10x the support despite the stupid hires they've made recently.
Oh, I completely agree! I just hope Marrone isnt disheartened by thinking he will never get that suppor here because I think he can and will but 2 Pinstripe Bowl wins in 4 years with year 3 (a big momentum year) being very, very disappointing really hurt imo. Next year I think we can expect to see a big jump in attendance. Will we take advantage of it this time? I hope we do and I hope its with HCDM and whatever he needs to hold Syracuse hostage for (I mean this in a good way because if what is being said is true, the University needs to open their eyes).

All you guys keep saying that if the financial situation explained above is true "then it makes sense for him to leave"

Maybe this is just leverage? And a proverbial wake-up call for the BOT.

Here is what I know (2nd hand good inside source). Plans for a practice facility was proposed 1st year HCDM was hired - this has been on the table for 4 years now. TGD is also a football first AD. The resistance to upgrade football facilities comes from the Board of Trustees many of whom are basketball homies and still can't believe football drives the bus. The football upgrades needed exceed $20 million. HCDM is extremely frustrated with the university administration.

Secondly Trustees are sticker shocked about how much they need to pay HCDM almost twice as much now to keep him - $2.5 million a year versus the $1.25 million they are paying him now. Long term negotiations broke down because HCDM wants a commitment from the SU for salary, facilities and contract. Trustees acting like Congress and can't agree on what to do - this whole thing will come down to the wire - this week probably - as SU Trustees are on their own "cliff" right now. They can't believe that the football coach will need to be paid so much more than their beloved JB.

We will see if SU Trustees comes through this week - source believes its not really HCDM or TGD as being the problem - the ball is currently in the chancellor & trustees court right now. All HCDM wants is to be paid a "competitive wage" like what Charlie Strong gets and he will stay. HCDM wants this now since we will going to ACC next year - money will be coming - and he feels the practice facility is necessary to remain competitive on the recruiting front and win more recruiting battles. Unfortunately, the "Melo" center is being used against us as our recruits are being told we are basketball first school - just look at practice facilities!

Honestly, I would not stay in my job if I didn't believe I was fully supported by my superiors, not given the tools to succeed and have opportunities to go elsewhere. I still think this job is HCDM's dream job but it seems he is really frustrated with SUs leadership meaning trustees. It is a real possibility that we lose HCDM this week if the trustees don't act and act soon.

Thanks for the info. Surprising and disappointing.

Wait, SU being cheap...the utter absurdity of it all I say poppycock!

They better give Doug what he wants in this regard and a lifetime supply of bologna to boot just for letting it come to this point.
Same university who won't pay for new band uniforms. Instead they want to football fans to pony up more money. They handed out new band uniform donation forms at the pregame party at Yankee Stadium. If they won't pay for band uniforms its not a shock that they don't want to build an indoor practice facility.

This makes sense. In addition, I've heard that the BOT has become cynical of TGD's hiring practices.

They believe he overpays. See salaries for Luke Jensen & Gary Gait. - non-revenue coaches making relatively big bucks.

It's not helping his case with this situation.

When the women's lax team is preseason #1 how can the BOT argue with Gross' decision to pay good coaches.

Maybe The BOT should worry more about raising the academic profile of the University.

To piggyback off what was said before, I you can add the fans to Marrone's growing level Of frustration. SpecificAlly shitty attendance numbers, hate mail etc.

I don't blame him for leaving. It's just a shame Syracuse did this to itself.

There's a reason why NW has been able to keep Pat Fitgerald, an NW alum, also in his " dream job." They and the fans support him 100%.

Some of us have mentioned this the last couple of years.

Thanks for posting. That was the perspective I was looking for to make sense of things.

Thanks for the info. Surprising and disapointing.

I'm not surprised at all and it's time they join the 21st century when it comes to being realistic about being a true football school. If BOT's let this slide we become another BC only difference being we have an excellent basketball team. Doug has proved himself now it's their turn to prove themselves and to be honest I don't have a lot of faith in them doing so.

The fans are not the issue here, and it's not even close. The lifeline of a major football program IS revenue ($$$), facilities, winning, and recruiting. You need to look no further than the games being played in NYC as confirmation of this. Fact of life in big time college football.

Take care of revenue, facilities, winning and recruiting and Dome will sell out. Look no further than basketball attendance at the Dome for confirmation of this.

Same university who won't pay for new band uniforms. Instead they want to football fans to pony up more money. They handed out new band uniform donation forms at the pregame party at Yankee Stadium. If they won't pay for band uniforms its not a shock that they don't want to build an indoor practice facility.
Look you either do the job right or you don't do it at all. If you're going to be in BCS football you do what is necessary to compete at that level. The money will be there in the ACC

This makes sense. In addition, I've heard that the BOT has become cynical of TGD's hiring practices.

They believe he overpays. See salaries for Luke Jensen & Gary Gait. - non-revenue coaches making relatively big bucks.

It's not helping his case with this situation.

Well they are right about Jensen and Gait.

But the board has to get this fixed now if all this is true.

facilities yes pay scale no a i have heard that he had agreed to a number

Not according to source who will not post on this Board (and he rarely talks to me about this stuff too but I think he is really concerned that Marrone will leave if SU admin doesn't come to the table). He was given a raise for this year and the final year in his contract but no "long term" contract as negotiations broke down based on fairness and what he is being asked to do.

My opinion - how can you ask HCDM to compete, win the recruiting battles and win consistently in ACC but don't give him the tools (facilities) and pay him fairly (think Charlie Strong - didn't we just pulverize Lville)?

The former football player trustee needs to backhand the rest of the board if they can't do what needs to be done, given the ACC money that'll be coming in. A successful football program benifits the whole school. I don't like saying that because my personal belief is that sports are overprioritized in our country, but it's the truth.

Believe me I was being completely sarcastic, I know too well the tightly clutched dollar and the school on the hill.

What is important to them?
Bottom lines. The women's lax program is #1, but running in the red at a higher rate than is tolerable. I'm just using this as an example.

My understanding is that there are 4-5 programs on the hill that are losing money at a much greater rate than under Jake.

If you only go to the well to pay mhoops, lax and fb,it's an easy sell.

When the women's lax team is preseason #1 how can the BOT argue with Gross' decision to pay good coaches.

Maybe The BOT should worry more about raising the academic profile of the University.

I don't know if it's worth mid six figures to be #1 in women's lacrosse.

The former football player trustee needs to backhand the rest of the board if they can't do what needs to be done, given the ACC money that'll be coming in. A successful football program benifits the whole school. I don't like saying that because my personal belief is that sports are overprioritized in our country, but it's the truth.

I agree with you and they have to see that it is a money maker for the university, not a liability. Yes, be smart with your cash as you should be but know a winner when it's in your hands as well, that's what smart fiscal people do.

Not according to source who will not post on this Board (and he rarely talks to me about this stuff too but I think he is really concerned that Marrone will leave if SU admin doesn't come to the table). He was given a raise for this year and the final year in his contract but no "long term" contract as negotiations broke down based on fairness and what he is being asked to do.

My opinion - how can you ask HCDM to compete, win the recruiting battles and win consistently in ACC but don't give him the tools (facilities) and pay him fairly (think Charlie Strong - didn't we just pulverize Lville)?
I had heard that the salary portion was agreed to but that the facilities were the problem. Who know but to your point he does need to be paid fairly and the university needs to step up and make the commitment. Fundraising for the project never took off at the level expected but the new revenue from the ACC wasnt anticipated four years ago either. We have always been known as frugal or cheap but regardless of who our coach is we need to make the upgrades yesterday

So basically what we are saying here is that we are in danger of losing both our coach and our AD who is being undermined by the way he overpays? We lose these 2, that will be painful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom