Herman Frazier tries get SU football schedule up to speed, promises 'quality opponents' in Dome | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Herman Frazier tries get SU football schedule up to speed, promises 'quality opponents' in Dome

If Frazier says that we're already booked up for 2014 and 2015, we can't be that far behind the 8-ball.

How do basketball fans manage not finding out the OOC schedule until only a few months before the season, but football fans need to know 5 years in advance?
If Frazier is saying the 2014 and 2015 games already booked he could give a hint to reassure the fanbase. Its all BS IMO, he could say what he has done without naming the schools before the contracts are signed. He could say we have an agreement with a team from the Big Ten or are finalizing an agreement with an SEC team and that would be fine, but instead all he is saying is we have taken care of it and have nothing to announce as to specifics.

Also, basketball and football schedules are TOTALLY different. In basketball the games are mainly done by the coaches and in football its done by 1 person designated by the AD. Basketball its easy to schedule games because you have 10 to 12 non-conference games each year and in football you only have 3-5 openings depending on the size of your conference. I could understand it being difficult to schedule 5 non-conference games but 4 shouldn't be a problem at all and right now it seems it is.

Stunning that you guys are focusing on the negative. And a rather unlikely negative at that.

He said that he listens to fans and wants to schedule good OOC teams IN THE DOME.

That's, like, a GOOD thing, right?

:bang:

I would say the fanbase is split about the Metlife games and that has to do with the schedule.
I agree that the fan base is probably split on that. I have no idea how to quantify the degree of that split.

In the big picture, I would guess that "announcing the OOC games for the 2014 and 2015 seasons" is a significant cause of concern for maybe 1% of the fan base. Too many people need to rediscover our own damn team before worrying about who else is going to be in the building.

Stunning that you guys are focusing on the negative. And a rather unlikely negative at that.

He said that he listens to fans and wants to schedule good OOC teams IN THE DOME.

I am objective when I give an opinion I am not one to only focus on the negative. I read that article and came away convinced our football scheduling department is a clown show. If our non-conferences games for 2014 and 2015 are all set Mr. Frazier needs to a better job of giving a little information without saying the exact specifics. I don't believe our 2014 schedule is done when we only have 1 game announced. Brett McMurphy on Twitter everyday lists all the new football agreements and he hasn't referenced SU one time and he is typically the first to get the information so I doubt we have 4 games scheduled.

The 2014 schedule as we know it now.
9-27-2014 Notre Dame Metlife Stadium
TBA @Boston College
TBA @Wake Forest
TBA @ Pitt
TBA @ Clemson
TBA Duke
TBA Florida State
TBA NC State
TBA Lousiville

I am sure we can add a 1-AA team to the schedule somewhere. If we have two more games scheduled why the heck haven't we announced them when they are only 1 year away. Consider me skeptical that we have them scheduled and Frazier is just giving a local reporter a bunch of BS.

Not to mention that having a quality OOC opponent at the Dome next year might influence a few more people to lock in season tickets now. I don't care if the number is 50, every seat that gets filled in the Dome this year helps the program's momentum.

I don't like the sound of this part:

One thing that Frazier said he planned to continue was Syracuse's guarantee game each year against a FCS school such as Wagner.
"I looked over the years and some schools, including Florida State last year, played two," Frazier said. "I don't think that hurt their schedule at all in terms of where they were ranked. If you look at every schedule in the ACC this year, they almost all play one. That's been the tradition among most institutions. You try to get it early, before conference play, in case you want to try some different things. We'll probably play at least one. I don't see us playing two. Teams that get in a bind sometimes play two. Two can really crush you."

He doesn't think FSU playing two hurt them at all, but then goes on to say that two can really crush you. Uh huh.

Anywho, here's the Major Conference teams with an OOC opening in 2014:

Northwestern
Cal
Stanford
Washington St.
Kentucky
Tennessee
Alabama
Arkansas
Auburn
LSU
Texas A&M

Northwestern has run it's course. Sign up Kentucky or Cal.
My confidence in Mr. Frazier is very low. True I am just a fan, and I don't know all of the inner workings of his job. But we always seem to be behind the 8 ball on football acheduling.

This sounds like a lot of BS to me. Syracuse's schedule has been late every year under Frazier and we have been one of the last teams to finalize our schedules every year under him as well. At this point I have no idea what Frazier considers a "quality" opponent to be but I have this sneaking suspicion some on this board are going to be less then thrilled when the schedules are eventually announced (whenever that is).

This is the part of Syracuse athletics that drives me nuts, scheduling should be a top priority that we are out in front of and ensuring we have a good balance of winnable games versus high level opponents. Instead were to worried about moving the ND series which woudl have been a huge opponent in the Dome to Metlife so we can play a virtual road game twice in a four games series. If we finally ended this Metlife nonsense the scheduling issues would be greatly reduced. Based on his track record it proably wouldn't hurt if we put Frazier on something else and brought someone in who knew what the heck they were doing.

This sounds like a lot of BS to me. Syracuse's schedule has been late every year under Frazier and we have been one of the last teams to finalize our schedules every year under him as well. At this point I have no idea what Frazier considers a "quality" opponent to be but I have this sneaking suspicion some on this board are going to be less then thrilled when the schedules are eventually announced (whenever that is).

This is the part of Syracuse athletics that drives me nuts, scheduling should be a top priority that we are out in front of and ensuring we have a good balance of winnable games versus high level opponents. Instead were to worried about moving the ND series which woudl have been a huge opponent in the Dome to Metlife so we can play a virtual road game twice in a four games series. If we finally ended this Metlife nonsense the scheduling issues would be greatly reduced. Based on his track record it proably wouldn't hurt if we put Frazier on something else and brought someone in who knew what the heck they were doing.
I wish I could like this more than once it is exactly spot on as to how I feel.

Somebody like TexanMark could do this job from his house and have SU's schedule filled for the next decade. Just have him make calls and then have the SU AD in-house counsel draft the contracts to the other school and get them signed.

TBA @Boston College
TBA @Wake Forest
TBA @ Pitt
TBA @ Clemson
TBA Duke
TBA Florida State
TBA NC State
TBA Lousiville

I am sure we can add a 1-AA team to the schedule somewhere. If we have two more games scheduled why the heck haven't we announced them when they are only 1 year away. Consider me skeptical that we have them scheduled and Frazier is just giving a local reporter a bunch of BS.

The rumor is that SU will host Villanova in 2014.

and thats fine, but brining Auburn back would be awesome..remember the auburn game after 9/11 and we won...gives me chills

The rumor is that SU will host Villanova in 2014.
I think all of us fans are fine with 1 D-1AA game a year and Villanova's name atleast may attract a couple non-season ticketholders to the game. I think that is a good 1-AA opponent. If Georgetown gave the scholarships they would be another, and obviously Colgate.

If we have our 2014 and 2015 games scheduled, wouldn't our opponents put it out there? What is the incentive to hold it back?

If we have our 2014 and 2015 games scheduled, wouldn't our opponents put it out there? What is the incentive to hold it back?

Maybe the agreements are verbal and the contracts still have to be signed. Maybe the schools' respective conferences have to approve the dates so they don't interfere with league play. Maybe Herm is lying.

I wish I could like this more than once it is exactly spot on as to how I feel.

Somebody like TexanMark could do this job from his house and have SU's schedule filled for the next decade. Just have him make calls and then have the SU AD in-house counsel draft the contracts to the other school and get them signed.

At this point I think half the members of this board could take over and do a better job. Everything we do from a schedule standpoint seems to be either at the last second or to the highest degree of disability possible just for the hell of it. Under Frazier we cant even schedule a 1-AA game without there being some controversy or potential issue.

This isnt a hard process yet were a year away from the 2014 scheule and have 3 missing opponents. Nova has been rumored for months, why not announce that or if its another team lets get the deal finalized, there are dozens of 1AA programs in the NE we could schedule. Between the MAC, Sunbelt, and the new AAC theres again dozens of schools we could potentially sign a deal with. Instead we will wait to the last second like always and have to take some road game against Texas A&M or LSU where half this board will think we have lucked out when in the end we will get our doors blown in. It boggles my mind were goign through this nonsense for the third year in a row. Who the hell is holding Frazier accountable?

My guess is they haven't been scheduled, at worst the names would have leaked like Nova.

Does this guy schedule for hoops too, or is that someone else?

Does this guy schedule for hoops too, or is that someone else?

I don't know but I don't think he does the hoops sked. In fact, the hoops sked is going to be so good in 2013-14 that I am pretty sure Herm had nothing to do with it.

We have been scheduling like s forever. We need to open up with some cupcakes for once. Keep a big non-con game but have the rest be FBS losers and one FCS. We have Clemson and FSU every year now.

Let's start a year 3-0 for once.

I am objective when I give an opinion I am not one to only focus on the negative. I read that article and came away convinced our football scheduling department is a clown show. If our non-conferences games for 2014 and 2015 are all set Mr. Frazier needs to a better job of giving a little information without saying the exact specifics. I don't believe our 2014 schedule is done when we only have 1 game announced. Brett McMurphy on Twitter everyday lists all the new football agreements and he hasn't referenced SU one time and he is typically the first to get the information so I doubt we have 4 games scheduled.

Here's where I come at this... Clearly the past couple years have been poorly managed. We seemed to deal with conference realignment worse than most.

I also think Dr. Gross is not the kind of AD who would let his baby's schedule languish in the hands of someone he sees to be incompetent. Gross has been here for 9 years, and he has connections all over the nation at this point. He was at the helm as we scheduled USC, Northwestern, Penn State, Minnesota, Washington, BC, etc. I guess I just have a little more faith that he hasn't abdicated his duty as AD to be ultimately accountable for piecing together a quality OOC schedule.

I mean, maybe Frazier sucks and Gross doesn't care. But that seems unlikely, right? Maybe there have been reasons why we've been so late/slow with things, and those reasons are being addressed? I don't know. I suspect no one here does.

So gripe if you want, its a free country, and maybe you're right. I'm just not there yet.

TBA @Boston College
TBA @Wake Forest
TBA @ Pitt
TBA @ Clemson
TBA Duke
TBA Florida State
TBA NC State
TBA Lousiville

We will certainly have a 1-AA team at home. which leaves one home game and one road game left. I expect our road game to be vs a quality team, and our home game to be vs a mediocre squad (a la Tulane this year)

He is saying all the right things, and that is great.

I will feel better when contracts are signed and dates are announced.

I pine for a schedule where the first game is against an FCS opponent, the second game is against a MAC type opponent, we play a couple of BCS level opponents and then the conference schedule kicks in.

Wouldn't it be great to have a reasonable expectation to start the season 3-0 or 4-0 and to give all the new starters a few games where Syracuse is a heavy favorite before walking the gauntlet?