Herman Frazier tries get SU football schedule up to speed, promises 'quality opponents' in Dome | Syracusefan.com

Herman Frazier tries get SU football schedule up to speed, promises 'quality opponents' in Dome

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootb...ing_to_get_syracuse.html#incart_river_default

Deputy Athletics Director Herman Frazier said Syracuse has been behind in scheduling its non-conference games since he joined the athletic department two years ago, but the Orange has agreements in place for a full non-conference schedule in 2014 and 2015 and he hopes to get SU more in line with the rest of the country shortly ...

Frazier, though, declined to discuss who Syracuse has lined up for next season. He said he hopes the Orange will announce its schedule in the fall, though he did offer this small hint about the future. "It'll be good," Frazier said. "I also listen to what I hear people say about games in the Dome. We will have quality opponents here."

I don't like the sound of this part:

One thing that Frazier said he planned to continue was Syracuse's guarantee game each year against a FCS school such as Wagner.
"I looked over the years and some schools, including Florida State last year, played two," Frazier said. "I don't think that hurt their schedule at all in terms of where they were ranked. If you look at every schedule in the ACC this year, they almost all play one. That's been the tradition among most institutions. You try to get it early, before conference play, in case you want to try some different things. We'll probably play at least one. I don't see us playing two. Teams that get in a bind sometimes play two. Two can really crush you."

He doesn't think FSU playing two hurt them at all, but then goes on to say that two can really crush you. Uh huh.

Anywho, here's the Major Conference teams with an OOC opening in 2014:

Northwestern
Cal
Stanford
Washington St.
Kentucky
Tennessee
Alabama
Arkansas
Auburn
LSU
Texas A&M

Auburn has same situation as us but no mention of them in article

Expect auburn and maryland on schedule

I don't like the sound of this part:

He doesn't think FSU playing two hurt them at all, but then goes on to say that two can really crush you. Uh huh.

Well, FSU was forced to play two FCS teams because WVU pulled out of a game:

"The Seminoles were forced into the predicament because West Virginia cancelled its planned game on Sept. 8. That means FSU will open with Murray State and Savannah State before starting conference play against Wake Forest. "

I'm pretty sure FSU did not intend to play two FCS teams and was not happy about it.

http://content.usatoday.com/communi.../acc-schedule-release-official/1#.Ug5GB5JQGYQ

"The Seminoles were forced into the predicament because West Virginia cancelled its planned game on Sept. 8. That means FSU will open with Murray State and Savannah State before starting conference play against Wake Forest. "

I'm pretty sure FSU did not intend to play two FCS teams and was not happy about it.

http://content.usatoday.com/communi.../acc-schedule-release-official/1#.Ug5GB5JQGYQ

Of course FSU was forced into the situation, but Frazier sounds as if he's contradicting himself. I also don't like him saying we'll place "at least one". That sounds like two is a possibility if need be.

You are correct, sir. Also, it had a major impact on our BCS ranking, primarily due to the computer polls; some of which has FSU ranked behind 3 and 4 loss teams.

Thankfully, only one FCS team on the schedule this year; though Idaho and Nevada are not BCS-conference teams.

I think he just means that every year we will play one FCS team for sure. I hope we don't end up playing 1.25 FCS teams every year. They'd better offer discounted tickets for something like that.

The fact we haven't announced any new 2014 games is just a joke. My goodness somebody like TexanMark could get this job done in like a week. Now I wouldn't play low level teams 1-1 but let's get some games scheduled already. Our schedule should be 1 1-AA opponent, 1 B1G/SEC/B12 team, 1 MAC/AAC team and that 12th game can be whatever the Coach wants whether it be a 2nd BCS opponent or another MAC/AAC team.

Stanford is playing @Army this year and they have played home/homes with Duke and Wake Forest recently. They seem interested in playing ACC private schools that should get done easily, but I have no clue what the heck the AD office is doing in scheduling games.

As long as we can get quality teams IN the dome, and not just on the road, I am all-in.

We need to get some of these SEC teams up here, somehow. Would love to play Alabama in the Dome before I'm too old.

This is the same guy who said something to the effect of 'I am not sure if the Wagner game counts for bowl eligibility, but their AD said it does.' Nice due diligence there on what seems to be the most important aspect of your job duties. His words here don't do a lot to inspire confidence. I am sure he's a real nice guy, but he definitely needs to step it up and this article indicates that maybe he is feeling some pressure on that front which is good.

A few issues have worked against SU in terms of scheduling. The conference move is the biggest factor, but financial considerations were also a factor. With the extra revenue, SU doesn't have to look for guarantee games like Missouri last year. Have also heard that the west coast trips haven't been popular with the coaching staff in the past.

Not sure why it wasn't specifically said in the article, but two FCS teams on the schedule would hurt ticket sales.

This is the same guy who said something to the effect of 'I am not sure if the Wagner game counts for bowl eligibility, but their AD said it does.' Nice due diligence there on what seems to be the most important aspect of your job duties. His words here don't do a lot to inspire confidence. I am sure he's a real nice guy, but he definitely needs to step it up and this article indicates that maybe he is feeling some pressure on that front which is good.
The article to me is trying to sound like he already has the agreements in place but hasn't announced which to me is insane. Just say we have an agreement with X, Y, Z for 2014 but the contracts are being finalized before they are official. No school would be superpissed if Frazier said well we are working with Auburn on a series for 2014 or Stanford, but its not officially official but we hope it will get done soon. Just like the Maryland series which Frazier confirms but doesn't officially say when or if it will happen when everyone knows it will and we wouldn't have found out about the Maryland games if Edsall didn't say anything at ACC media day. The SUAD doesn't give ANY TIDBITS of information which would calm the fanbase down. I am going to email Gross to contact Mark seems he is unofficial board schedule guy.

They are not going to do 2 FCS teams.

A few issues have worked against SU in terms of scheduling. The conference move is the biggest factor, but financial considerations were also a factor. With the extra revenue, SU doesn't have to look for guarantee games like Missouri last year. Have also heard that the west coast trips haven't been popular with the coaching staff in the past.

Not sure why it wasn't specifically said in the article, but two FCS teams on the schedule would hurt ticket sales.
The Missouri game was because TCU left the Big East and we were short a home game. It had nothing to do with SU's financial situation. I agree more money from the ACC will allow SU to spend a little more to buy home games, but we can't buy home games like B1G or SEC teams can. The West Coast trips weren't popular with Marrone, but the USC series made sense if we played them in the Dome like we were suppose and Washington is a top 25 program all-time. The only Pac-12 teams I would play or honestly any team west of the Mississippi if I was SU would be USC, UCLA, Stanford, Washington, Oregon and we played two of those five.

Is the fanbase up in arms over the schedule?
I would say the fanbase is split about the Metlife games and that has to do with the schedule. I want a decent to good non-conference football schedule and while we played some good non-conference the performance of Frazier and Gross recently in scheduling games hasn't been good. We are behind the 8-ball in a major way in scheduling non-conference games for 2014-2017 and typically these games take a long to time to schedule for the future and Mizzou situation was terrible, moving the USC game was terrible. The only good series he has scheduled recently was the Penn State 1-1-1 deal.

SU went to Missouri for the $$. A home game against an FCS team was the other option (and preferred by Marrone), but the admins went for the payout instead. Thankfully Nassib and Lemon stepped up at the end or else the admins would have looked really bad

SU went to Missouri for the $$. A home game against an FCS team was the other option (and preferred by Marrone), but the admins went for the payout instead. Thankfully Nassib and Lemon stepped up at the end or else the admins would have looked really bad
The 2nd I-AA game would have been pointless for bowl eligibility I doubt Marrone would want to only have 11 chances at 6 wins versus 12 chances. The money was the bonus from Mizzou but their is no chance the program would play 2 1-AAs again after doing it in 2010.

In fairness to HF, I e-mailed him the day that the Wagner game was announced and he assured me that the game would count for bowl eligibility. There was no doubt about it.

I would say the fanbase is split about the Metlife games and that has to do with the schedule. I want a decent to good non-conference football schedule and while we played some good non-conference the performance of Frazier and Gross recently in scheduling games hasn't been good. We are behind the 8-ball in a major way in scheduling non-conference games for 2014-2017 and typically these games take a long to time to schedule for the future and Mizzou situation was terrible, moving the USC game was terrible. The only good series he has scheduled recently was the Penn State 1-1-1 deal.

If Frazier says that we're already booked up for 2014 and 2015, we can't be that far behind the 8-ball.

How do basketball fans manage not finding out the OOC schedule until only a few months before the season, but football fans need to know 5 years in advance?

The 2nd I-AA game would have been pointless for bowl eligibility I doubt Marrone would want to only have 11 chances at 6 wins versus 12 chances. The money was the bonus from Mizzou but their is no chance the program would play 2 1-AAs again after doing it in 2010.

That's true, but say SU goes to Missouri with 5 wins and someone like Nassib gets hurt. Now the bowl bid comes down to Temple on the road. Coaches were looking at the 2nd IAA game as a chance to rest/heal/play young guys. It was a risky move that worked out on all fronts, but people were not happy about the choice.

If Frazier says that we're already booked up for 2014 and 2015, we can't be that far behind the 8-ball.

How do basketball fans manage not finding out the OOC schedule until only a few months before the season, but football fans need to know 5 years in advance?

That's how football works everywhere. It's also helpful in recruiting. Hoops is easier because we know that SU is going to play a B1G team at home every 2 years, a game at MSG every year, etc.

That's true, but say SU goes to Missouri with 5 wins and someone like Nassib gets hurt. Now the bowl bid comes down to Temple on the road. Coaches were looking at the 2nd IAA game as a chance to rest/heal/play young guys. It was a risky move that worked out on all fronts, but people were not happy about the choice.
They would have been better off playing Temple twice last year then playing a 2nd I-AA game. Temple only played 11 games last year it would have been flat out insane to play 2-1AA games even if Nassib got hurt against Mizzou. Loeb or Kinder and our running game would have been enough to beat Temple last year its not exactly like we would have been playing a world beater. I get your just stating what you heard, but playing 2 D-1 AA games is AN ABSOLUTE NON-STARTER or the person in charge of scheduling football games needs to be replaced immediately. Playing 1 1-AA game is a lot to ask most college fanbases, but two is an absolute embarrassment.

Frazier has repeatedly shown that he is incapable of managing a football schedule. Darryl has really screwed up on this one...

"Just six months earlier, in June 2007, Frazier announced a football schedule for three months hence that had, for the first time, two teams from the lower-cast Football Championship Subdivision (Northern Colorado and Charleston Southern). FCS teams grant fewer scholarships and have fewer assistant coaches and smaller budgets.
What was to have been a 13-game schedule reluctantly became 12 games when Frazier said he was unable to find another suitable opponent to fill it out.
As late as November 2006, Frazier, 53, had four openings for the 2007 schedule but maintained he would find quality opponents and fill out a completed 13-game schedule. Just a month earlier, he said filling a complete schedule with quality opponents would "be a piece of cake."
Michigan State, which bought its way out of a scheduled game for the $250,000 cancellation fee, resulted in one opening. But Frazier struggled to fill the others before finally announcing Washington, Charleston Southern and Northern Colorado for a lineup that drew much derision nationally as well as locally.
At an O'ahu Interscholastic Association banquet in March with McClain in the crowd, a series of speakers, including Lt. Gov. James "Duke" Aiona, turned Frazier's scheduling into punchlines. Frazier's grilling by State Rep. K. Mark Takai at the Legislature drew wide attention.
The 11th-hour scheduling was in sharp contrast to the late Stan Sheriff, one of his predecessors at UH who would get antsy if football schedules weren't complete two years before kickoff.
The scheduling debacle played out amid a slow-moving search for Riley Wallace's successor as men's basketball coach."

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2008/Jan/09/sp/hawaii301090005.html