Hey, Canadians - SU on TV help needed | Syracusefan.com

Hey, Canadians - SU on TV help needed

OttoMets

Living Legend
Cowtown , DonLightfoot , and others who I've forgotten - apparently it's hard to find SU games on TV up there? I'm going to be in Toronto Saturday night and I'm trying to plan a way to watch the Duke game. But apparently on 5 different TSNs, nobody's showing the game. Advice?

Cowtown , DonLightfoot , and others who I've forgotten - apparently it's hard to find SU games on TV up there? I'm going to be in Toronto Saturday night and I'm trying to plan a way to watch the Duke game. But apparently on 5 different TSNs, nobody's showing the game. Advice?
Burn it to the ground.

I will be at home in a few hours and will check the guide then,

PS4 can play some games if they're on, also, you could just bring an HDMI cable and then stream to the TV through your laptop using a VPN......some weird blackout rules sometimes apply if it's ACC Network (it'll be blacked out in Denver randomly or some nonsense like that)...that's what I do typically. You just have to find a broadcast that's not blacked out.

Those are likely the best options. Reddit has channels that show the games...but I think for a fee. Find any bar with the SuperSports Package on Rogers and they'll have it on one of the channels. I get a decent number of games that way.

Borrow a Sling player thing may work...I did that for a bit, but the feed was sort of annoying.....

I doubt a hotel would have the SuperSports Package though...so if you're wanting to watch at a location, just bring the HDMI cable and get a VPN.

You will be at a bar and its Saturday night - Hockey Night in Canada starts at 7:00. Expect to be surrounded by many annoying members of Leaf Nation, and for about 3 to 4 hockey games going on.

They should still be able to set you up on one TV if you go somewhere big enough. But it will probably make sense to get there at 6:00. If you are a late arrival at 7:00, they probably will not start flipping channels on any TV at the risk of offending a stupid puckhead.

I actually like hockey, but puckheads in this country are unbearable.

Bruins-Leafs are playing they are in a race that will dominate most Toronto bars on Saturday night I bet.

Their must be a TSN channel our game will be on though.

I have Dish Network so I probably won't be much help to you. I am able to watch the ESPN broadcasted games. If the game is strictly on ACC Network through Watch ESPN I am out of luck as they do not allow viewing in Canada. One of the local ABC channels carries a few of the ACC Network games so I am fortunate in that regard. They picked up 6 games this year. Other than ESPN, CBS and this local station there were 12 games this season for which I had no TV. I am blacked out on any SU games shown on Regional Sports Channels. For those I had to find a different streaming site to watch. However, for some reason, this season they are not being shown even though the games are highlighted on the streaming site guide. Very frustrating.

My son used to live in Ottawa and had Rogers Cable with the various sports packages. He would end up getting just a few of the SU games. You would think a Syracuse/Duke game would be one the Canadian Cable company would pickup, but as mentioned in prior posts, Saturday nights are tough to find anything other than hockey.

Now if you bring your own computer which has an American VPN with access to Watch ESPN then you might be able to watch it through hotel or a relative's Wi-Fi. Can't say if Watch ESPN would be picking up the Country source of the W-Fi?????? I use a HDMI cable to the TV to watch my streams so you could do that as mentioned previously. Although most of the streams I had this year were not very good. If all else fails you can go on-line to WAER radio and listen to the game.

Good luck, hope you can find it. The Duke game will be my last TV game of the conference schedule.

Last edited:
I was in Toronto for the NBA All Star Game a couple of years ago and wanted to watch the SU-FSU game on Thursday night, which was on ESPN. Went to a sports bar and asked to have it put on and was basically laughed at. Enjoyed watching that random junior hockey game on TSN the Ocho, though. Good luck to ya.

I have Dish Network so I probably won't be much help to you. I am able to watch the ESPN broadcasted games. If the game is strictly on ACC Network through Watch ESPN I am out of luck as they do not allow viewing in Canada. One of the local ABC channels carries a few of the ACC Network games so I am fortunate in that regard. They picked up 6 games this year. Other than ESPN, CBS and this local station there were 12 games this season for which I had no TV. I am blacked out on any SU games shown on Regional Sports Channels. For those I had to find a different streaming site to watch. However, for some reason, this season they are not being shown even though the games are highlighted on the streaming site guide. Very frustrating.

My son used to live in Ottawa and had Rogers Cable with the various sports packages. He would end up getting just a few of the SU games. You would think a Syracuse/Duke game would be one the Canadian Cable company would pickup, but as mentioned in prior posts, Saturday nights are tough to find anything other than hockey.

Now if you bring your own computer which has an American VPN with access to Watch ESPN then you might be able to watch it through hotel or a relative's Wi-Fi. Can't say if Watch ESPN would be picking up the Country source of the W-Fi?????? I use a HDMI cable to the TV to watch my streams so you could do that as mentioned previously. Although most of the streams I had this year were not very good. If all else fails you can go on-line to WAER radio and listen to the game.

Good luck, hope you can find it. The Duke game will be my last TV game of the conference schedule.

I don’t think your son had the right package. The mid tier sports packages are crap. The super sports package on Rogers has all NCAA games on espn, espn2 or espn u. Before this year all Syracuse conference games were available as they also showed the acc network games (or most of them). No more acc network games this year through the package.. you get the odd one on peach tree network, which for some reason is fairly basic in Canada. The sports pack does have almost all the sec and big 12 games covered. Which is nice, but as I said this is the first year where I was not legally able to watch all Syracuse conference game, still got over half of the conference games.. perhaps there was the same issue last year. Not sure anymore the last 2 years have went by so fast.

I don’t think your son had the right package. The mid tier sports packages are crap. The super sports package on Rogers has all NCAA games on espn, espn2 or espn u. Before this year all Syracuse conference games were available as they also showed the acc network games (or most of them). No more acc network games this year through the package.. you get the odd one on peach tree network, which for some reason is fairly basic in Canada. The sports pack does have almost all the sec and big 12 games covered. Which is nice, but as I said this is the first year where I was not legally able to watch all Syracuse conference game, still got over half of the conference games.. perhaps there was the same issue last year. Not sure anymore the last 2 years have went by so fast.

You ever notice on Rogers some games are "hidden," they're not listed on any channel, on the TV guide, but they're broadcasting them? I find the cable here befuddling to say the least.

Anyway, Otto, get a free VPN, and watch the game on your laptop. It's stupidly easy to do. ACC Network streams are horrendously bad, anything through ESPN is the same as watching on cable.

Canada sucks! :)

If you do go to a bar, they either have Rogers or Bell.

Rogers - Channel 431 (Can confirm)
Bell - Channel 471 to 474 (based on my review of their channel guide)

Ghost - tonight is one of those nights. Nothing shows up on my grid, and yet there are games. It happened a bit before, but this year is horrible for it.

If you do go to a bar, they either have Rogers or Bell.

Rogers - Channel 431 (Can confirm)
Bell - Channel 471 to 474 (based on my review of their channel guide)

Ghost - tonight is one of those nights. Nothing shows up on my grid, and yet there are games. It happened a bit before, but this year is horrible for it.

Right? What gives with that this year - last year that was never the case (that I recall). I feel like they show less games overall - but I usually around 6:45 just put it one of the 83 channels broadcasting nothing on the Sports Package and that shows the full slate of game! :)

March 21, 2010. I went to Toronto for the night as it was Cuse's off day playing in the Buffalo regional. We went to a bar and it was a Saturday night to watch the NCAA and sure enough all 50 TV's were showing the Maple Leafs who were playing the Canadiens on Hockey Night in Canada. Luckily we found one little 12 inch Black and White TV perched high in the corner that was showing NCAA basketball and on that little screen we saw Ali Farokhmanesh from Northern Iowa hit the shot that took out #1 seed Kansas. I'll never forget it as long as I live. One of the greatest upsets ever. Since our game starts at 6:15, you may be in luck.

Right? What gives with that this year - last year that was never the case (that I recall). I feel like they show less games overall - but I usually around 6:45 just put it one of the 83 channels broadcasting nothing on the Sports Package and that shows the full slate of game! :)

And the problem is they are never on the same channels sometimes they start at 431... sometimes around 438... early in the year I saw a few around 450, but they stopped doing that.

I was in Toronto a few months ago. I used WatchESPN on my iPad using my iPhone as a hot spot.

Curious how you did that patcuse. Watch ESPN is blocked there.
Realsports can get almost any game. Menu | Bar & Grill Toronto Last year I even watched a women's game there. My son also can get it for me through streaming options. AppleTV does not work. I have bought one up with me to try it.

I hope your outcome is favourable.

Realsports can get almost any game. Menu | Bar & Grill Toronto Last year I even watched a women's game there. My son also can get it for me through streaming options. AppleTV does not work. I have bought one up with me to try it.
I used my iPhone as a hot spot so it wasn’t blocked US vpn. Hotel WiFi was blocked.

This is a place Yelp recommended, sounds like they have hoops on now and again.

Thanks for all the informed advice, everyone!

This is a place Yelp recommended, sounds like they have hoops on now and again.

Thanks for all the informed advice, everyone!
If you call in advance they have tables with private TVs. Either way, they will have the game ready for you. They have always accommodated me. Large place with tons of tvs.