Hey Frank, why don’t you worry about your own play | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hey Frank, why don’t you worry about your own play

Odd game during which to get on Frank Howard. I thought he
played his best game all year. No, he didn't score as many points as he's had, no he didn't have as many assists as he's had, but he played his most solid game as a point guard. Composed, smart. Played like a true point guard tonight. I don't recall one W... T... turnover or shot.

Yeah - 3/8 from 3, 7 dimes & only 2 TO's, plus 4 steals.

totally crap game from Frank. :rolleyes:

If you'd like a player to criticize after this game, how about Moyer?
He was... not very effective.
in 17 minutes, he got 2 more rebounds than a dead guy. And that's it.

You guys serious? You’re happy with the way Frank’s been playing?

I've been critical of Frank for things on and off the court. I think he's been better than expected this year. Yes, he's had some awful turnovers and mental lapses. No, he doesn't shoot the ball great. Overall though he's been pretty good. I still don't look at him as an ideal point guard. It's like he's still learning how to play the position (he is!). That said, we'd be up Schitt's Creek without him.

I would call 118 rebounds much better than decent. It's top 25 in the country. He does need to become more efficient offensively.
Fair point. Didn't realize that put him in the top 25. My main point though, was that the entire package is not 'unreal good'. I have high hopes for Oshae. I'm just not ready to crown him yet. ;)

4-12 from the field, good call. We need early season Frank.

I am trying to appreciate your point of view. It is absolutely true Frank needs to make better decisions. The thing is I think he is our best option by miles. And last year, he did not get very much playing time. I think he needs a lot more playing time to improve his game. I think his shooting this year is way better than last year. He seems more mature than last year. I think there will be games where Frank wins the game for us. And maybe there will be a game where he hurts a bit. But I just glad we have him and he's play as good as he is right now.

I am trying to appreciate your point of view. It is absolutely true Frank needs to make better decisions. The thing is I think he is our best option by miles. And last year, he did not get very much playing time. I think he needs a lot more playing time to improve his game. I think his shooting this year is way better than last year. He seems more mature than last year. I think there will be games where Frank wins the game for us. And maybe there will be a game where he hurts a bit. But I just glad we have him and he's play as good as he is right now.

Seriously. He's got basically 2 options for passes on offense - Battle or Oshae. Everyone else is severely limited (and that's being nice).

I've been critical of Frank for things on and off the court. I think he's been better than expected this year. Yes, he's had some awful turnovers and mental lapses. No, he doesn't shoot the ball great. Overall though he's been pretty good. I still don't look at him as an ideal point guard. It's like he's still learning how to play the position (he is!). That said, we'd be up Schitt's Creek without him.

I agree with this sentiment. We would be wading through deep and brown without Frank.

Fair point. Didn't realize that put him in the top 25. My main point though, was that the entire package is not 'unreal good'. I have high hopes for Oshae. I'm just not ready to crown him yet. ;)

Oshae is top 5 in rebounding in the conference. Maybe better than that.

Oshae is top 5 in rebounding in the conference. Maybe better than that.

Are you saying he will be that at the end of conference play, or right now? I think he's got a great eye for the rebound and secures it well. No concerns on him rebounding. I'd love to see him take some easy shots though, instead of the whirling dervish he seems to prefer.

Oshae Brissett misses 20 shots in a row and Pascal can’t dunk. Let’s yell at Frank!

Hey, it works for JB, so it's good enough for me...yelling at the scapegoat that is. ;):)

Are you saying he will be that at the end of conference play, or right now? I think he's got a great eye for the rebound and secures it well. No concerns on him rebounding. I'd love to see him take some easy shots though, instead of the whirling dervish he seems to prefer.

As of two games ago, he was like 3rd.

Yeah, he's fallen in love with that spin move. That's becoming predictable. Jerami Grant loved that spin too.

As of two games ago, he was like 3rd.

Yeah, he's fallen in love with that spin move. That's becoming predictable. Jerami Grant loved that spin too.

Yes he did. I just don't understand why we (of all teams) seems to have such difficulty against zone defense. Pass to the foul line. Shoot or pass. Easy breazey. Foul line shots are money. Oshae should have had 20 points tonight.

Yes he did. I just don't understand why we (of all teams) seems to have such difficulty against zone defense. Pass to the foul line. Shoot or pass. Easy breazey. Foul line shots are money. Oshae should have had 20 points tonight.

Tyus drove me nuts in the first half. Standing around. Not even moving up when they were giving him a huge cushion off the ball. How is he making himself a threat with his foot almost touching the S at half court? And yeah, the windshield wiper offense and passing was maddening.

And sort of getting off the subject, we need something more from Matt. What a complete no show he was.

Tyus drove me nuts in the first half. Standing around. Not even moving up when they were giving him a huge cushion off the ball. How is he making himself a threat with his foot almost touching the S at half court? And yeah, the windshield wiper offense and passing was maddening.

And sort of getting off the subject, we need something more from Matt. What a complete no show he was.

Completely agree about Moyer. Heck MD was nothing in the first half.

I’ve been as critical of Frank as anyone. Tonight he was better. Took a few too many jumpers and didn’t move the ball well enough in the first half, but his D and his couple of 3’s were important.

That said, I did see/hear the play the OP is referring to and I’m not sure Frank has earned the right to yell at anyone about anything. Understand this year he’s been better, but his first two years dug him a hole he’s still digging out of. Was he yelling at himself during the UConn game?

I’ve been as critical of Frank as anyone. Tonight he was better. Took a few too many jumpers and didn’t move the ball well enough in the first half, but his D and his couple of 3’s were important.

That said, I did see/hear the play the OP is referring to and I’m not sure Frank has earned the right to yell at anyone about anything. Understand this year he’s been better, but his first two years dug him a hole he’s still digging out of. Was he yelling at himself during the UConn game?

So - now we're criticizing Frank - our PG, and most veteran player - for being a vocal leader? :rolleyes:

How long should he wait until he earns that right? :rolleyes:

Literally ecstatic.
This. Maddenly inconsistent? Yes. Streaky shooter? Check. Turns the ball over while creating shots? Yup.

But there's two reasons and really only two reasons we're unexpectedly 11-2 with a real tournament shot and not the expected 9-4 without a prayer. Not Battle, who has been an expected great player. Nope. It's Frank and Chukwu who have both been worlds better than we thought. I expected Kaleb Joseph level play from Frank, and an unplayable Chukwu. Instead, we got a Frank who plays consistently very good defense, and oscillates from very good to very bad on offense, but does often give us someone who can create offense for others. And we have exactly zero other players on the team currently who do this. Maybe MD at times, but he can't do it off the dribble.

And personally, I think Frank's shown real leadership this year. As often as I've seen him get on Paschal or Moyer for some mistake, I've seen him take responsibility and say my bad after his own mistakes. Honestly, I think he's probably the emotional leader of our team right now. Without him, we might not have one.

Anyhow, yeah, I'm not saying Frank's an amazing pg or even one of the best we've had recently. But man, is he better than the alternative.

Battle has been bipolar out there for a couple weeks now. He’s got an nba body but right now he’s way too streaky

personally, I think Frank's shown real leadership this year. I've seen him take responsibility and say my bad after his own mistakes.
Apologizing for mistakes is nice but I really wouldn’t cite that as an example of leadership.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom