Hey, look who's #1 and #2 in the College football playoff rankings... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Hey, look who's #1 and #2 in the College football playoff rankings...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You still haven't explained why ND takes a back seat to other one loss teams.

Btw you might want to explain your goofy theory to the Committee. They have ND ranked ahead of a zero loss team from the B1G and 2 one loss teams from the P12.
very very very very simple.

strength of schedule.

and when nd is watching their hoop team, the rest of the soon to be making the F4 football country...is watching a Conference Championship game. where the winners...leap non-playing schools.

that goofy theory, has been played out.

the rest of us have seen this movie before.

apparently, you either didnt watch, pay attention or can remember.

Yep.

Clemson is a win ND didn't get, that FSU would have.
FSU would have beaten Florida who is as good a win as Stanford.
And they'd have an extra win vs Duke/UNC/Pitt as insurance.

Granted those are impressive wins but I guess you're saying the first 2/3 of the season are irrelevant.

very very very very simple.

strength of schedule.

and when nd is watching their hoop team, the rest of the soon to be making the F4 football country...is watching a Conference Championship game. where the winners...leap non-playing schools.

that goofy theory, has been played out.

the rest of us have seen this movie before.

apparently, you either didnt watch, pay attention or can remember.

Is that so? When did this fantasy happen? Are you aware that if ND wins out that the P12 is eliminated from discussion?

ND is getting credit for playing a tougher schedule than the teams below them. The Big XII teams will rise once they will play each other. ND has Pitt, Wake, BC, Stanford their SOS will go down until Stanford.

Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma State, Michigan State, Iowa, Florida, Stanford(they play h2h though, Utah, Florida State all have higher ceilings than Notre Dame.
Oklahoma 11-1 vs. Notre Dame 11-1 would be VERY interesting. I would put Oklahoma ahead of them as well.
ND needs to go 11-1. Have Stanford win the Pac-12, all Big XII teams lose 1 game to have a chance.

I agree with your first paragraph. I'm not comparing ND to an eventual undefeated team from a power conference. I'm comparing them to one loss teams. That 11-1 Oklahoma record unfortunately includes one hideous loss.

Is that so? When did this fantasy happen? Are you aware that if ND wins out that the P12 is eliminated from discussion?
2014 tcu went from 3 to 6.

and maybe stanford loses to oregon and cal and makes a nd win useless.

Which is insane. Good luck explaining the importance of independence to a room full of football players.

"Look boys, if you'd gone somewhere else you might be playing for a national championship. But here, we have a history of picking who we want to play and that's more important"

I guess that's why they recently signed a home and home with Ohio State. C'mon man they play a fairly tough schedule year in and year out. The fact that Texas and USC are not up to previous standards would have been hard to foresee several years ago when the schedule was arranged.

I agree with your first paragraph. I'm not comparing ND to an eventual undefeated team from a power conference. I'm comparing them to one loss teams. That 11-1 Oklahoma record unfortunately includes one hideous loss.
Ohio State lost to Virginia Tech 6-6 last year. If OU goes 11-1 they will have beaten Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma State and will be a conference champion.

OU at 11-1 will likely be above Notre Dame at 11-1.

2014 tcu went from 3 to 6.

and maybe stanford loses to oregon and cal and makes a nd win useless.

And maybe Michigan beats OSU, Alabama and LSU each lose a game etc. One can play that game all night long.

Ohio State lost to Virginia Tech 6-6 last year. If OU goes 11-1 they will have beaten Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma State and will be a conference champion.

OU at 11-1 will likely be above Notre Dame at 11-1.

And that would mean the theory of having to play a conference title game was kaput.

That said, I wouldn't have a big problem with OU getting in if they won those three games.

And that would mean the theory of having to play a conference title game was kaput.

That said, I wouldn't have a big problem with OU getting in if they won those three games.
It would mean one of the four conference champions has no worthy playoff teams. if the Pac-12 champ had 1 loss in that scenario the Pac-12 team would get in over Oklahoma because of the CCG.

And maybe Michigan beats OSU, Alabama and LSU each lose a game etc. One can play that game all night long.
but we dont have to, because we have conference championship games to decide whos in or out.

and are you still ignoring what happened to the bevo?

but we dont have to, because we have conference championship games to decide whos in or out.
Unless they have 2 losses. Any 1 loss champion from the Pac-12, SEC, Big Ten gets in. The ACC needs to improve to get to this status but a 1 loss ACC champion would likely get in over a 1 loss Big XII non-outright champion.
Notre Dame needs to beat the ACC champion in one of its 5 ACC games or beat USC/Stanford and one of them be the Pac-12 champion.
ND is at a disadvantage if 4 of the 5 conference champions are 1 loss because they have conference titles which the committee in its mission statement clearly value in terms of importance.

bpo57 said:
I guess that's why they recently signed a home and home with Ohio State. C'mon man they play a fairly tough schedule year in and year out. The fact that Texas and USC are not up to previous standards would have been hard to foresee several years ago when the schedule was arranged.

Yeah - I'm sure the committee cares about the SOS when they signed the home and home agreement. What is in their control is joining a conference to gain a chance at a quality 12th game.

That's what your missing.

I can't see ND joining a conference. The alums would go nuts.

Oh, I understand. They sure would got nuts. It'd be ugly, ... for about two whole weeks!

But young-to-middle aged ND alums are not as married to independence as the old guard. In fact, they are like almost all of us. They watch College Gameday. They play fantasy sports. They play video games (well, I don't). They like having something to play for during seasons in which they lose twice in their first 6 or 7 games. Which, BTW, is most seasons nowadays.

Remember, Notre Dame for 40+ years, eschewed all bowl invitations. That changed.
Remember, Notre Dame would not allow 5th-year players. That has changed in practice (if not title).
Remember, Notre Dame once played on a grass field. No longer.
Remember, Notre Dame once proudly made no academic concessions for football players. Lou Holtz changed that.
Remember, Notre Dame once distanced itself from Miami and Michigan. They've played Miami (even before the ACC agreement) and there is already talk/momentum about when the Michigan series will be revived.
Remember, Notre Dame was once a true independent. Now they play 5 games against the ACC annually.

Notre Dame is justifiably proud of its traditions, status and standing within the CFB community. They are currently a power broker.
But they are not as insular. They will change. They always have, just at a more deliberate pace than the rest of us.
Otherwise, if they don't change, those traditions ... that status ... their standing will erode over time. And they would not like that.

TBH I hope ND does win out because I'd love to see how the committee handles it.

and are you still ignoring what happened to the bevo?

So by your logic no one else is eligible for the F4 except a P5 team that wins a conference tournament game. Okee-dokee.

It would mean one of the four conference champions has no worthy playoff teams. if the Pac-12 champ had 1 loss in that scenario the Pac-12 team would get in over Oklahoma because of the CCG.

I will never understand that logic. So theoretically if the PAC12 sucked this year they'd still get their one loss team in over a powerhouse one loss B12 team. Makes zero sense to me.

So by your logic no one else is eligible for the F4 except a P5 team that wins a conference tournament game. Okee-dokee.
Haha!!

Clearly you are not this dumb and just trying to keep it going.

Like I told the other guy, I'm out.

This requires one to think on many different levels, if you choose not to...or maybe you can't, which I know not to be true...stop being an obtuse pro golden domer and recognize how the landscape, the 'rules' if I may...have changed.

Yeah - I'm sure the committee cares about the SOS when they signed the home and home agreement. What is in their control is joining a conference to gain a chance at a quality 12th game.

That's what your missing.

Aren't you the same guy that is advocating for FSU that by and large played a cupcake schedule this year?

I will never understand that logic. So theoretically if the PAC12 sucked this year they'd still get their one loss team in over a powerhouse one loss B12 team. Makes zero sense to me.
Unless the Big XII was an outright champion yes. The committee is going to reward teams for playing that extra game if the resumes are close. That is why Ohio State jumped TCU last year.

Unless the Big XII was an outright champion yes. The committee is going to reward teams for playing that extra game if the resumes are close. That is why Ohio State jumped TCU last year.

A Big XII team could have one loss and be the outright champion of their league, then what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom