Hey, look who's #1 and #2 in the College football playoff rankings... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Hey, look who's #1 and #2 in the College football playoff rankings...

Status
Not open for further replies.
no.

and to think that nd will get a F4 spot because of eyeballs is freakin absolutely ludicrous.

we are out do to deliever a Fn championship here...not television ratings.

That's cute.

I think only 2 slots are locked up. Big Ten and SEC champs are in. Clemson if they are 13-0 is a lock same for any Big XII team.

Why so certain about the SEC/ I'll throw out two plausible scenarios where I can see the 2-loss SEC Champ excluded ...

1: If Florida wins the SEC East, loses to FSU, and wins the SEC Champ Game.
2: Two-loss Ole Miss wins out, including SEC Champ Game.

That's cute.
Explain.

I'm guessing that you will make an argument as to why the Giants should make the playoffs every year for me because I'm dying to stop my nervousness of the season and just get ready for January football!!

Eyeballs baby, eyeballs!!!

Explain.

I'm guessing that you will make an argument as to why the Giants should make the playoffs every year for me because I'm dying to stop my nervousness of the season and just get ready for January football!!

Eyeballs baby, eyeballs!!!

Great point. Selection criteria for college vs NFL playoffs is identical.

I think 11-1 ND gets in the F4. I do.

That said, it would be fascinating if they did not and this is the scenario I am praying for (as a Catholic).
Not because of any hatred of ND (not my favorite, but I respect that tradition, etc.).

I simply want them to join the ACC for football.

And I could certainly see the Domers getting frustrated with a really good 11-1 season getting blocked out of the F4. They'd be up in arms. And more than likely, they'd have a legit argument.

This is the primary reason I am 100% against the 8-team playoff scenarios. Because 8 teams paves the way for the Irish to remain independent forever. Why join a conference when you'd automatically be in the 8-team field with a one-loss season? Heck, maybe even two losses in certain years.

The ACC, sans ND, is on good footing right now. But with the Domers, the ACC would be in a position of strength (no, not the SEC or the B1G, but a solid #3 more than likely).

As an aside, I think that Jack Swarbrick (their AD) signed on for this partial-ACC membership (all but CFB) as a bit of a trial.

From his shoes, he can see first hand how this ACC thing operates (how is the travel impacting us, how are we greeted at away games, what's the deal with this Swofford guy). And for his ND fans, he covertly gets them "used" to the notion of ACC play. A little heavy petting/foreplay before consummating the relationship.

I think in 4-6 years, they will join the ACC for all sports. Just a theory. Hope I am right, but I certainly could be wrong. But an 11-1 Notre Dame team not in the F4 could potentially accelerate the timetable.

I think an eight team playoff is inevitable...so I don't see ND joining a conference anytime soon.

SU94 said:
I think 11-1 ND gets in the F4. I do. That said, it would be fascinating if they did not and this is the scenario I am praying for (as a Catholic). Not because of any hatred of ND (not my favorite, but I respect that tradition, etc.). I simply want them to join the ACC for football. And I could certainly see the Domers getting frustrated with a really good 11-1 season getting . . . . blocked out of the F4. They'd be up in arms. And more than likely, they'd have a legit argument. This is the primary reason I am 100% against the 8-team playoff scenarios. Because 8 teams paves the way for the Irish to remain independent forever. Why join a conference when you'd automatically be in the 8-team field with a one-loss season? Heck, maybe even two losses in certain years. The ACC, sans ND, is on good footing right now. But with the Domers, the ACC would be in a position of strength (no, not the SEC or the B1G, but a solid #3 more than likely). As an aside, I think that Jack Swarbrick (their AD) signed on for this partial-ACC membership (all but CFB) as a bit of a trial. From his shoes, he can see first hand how this ACC thing operates (how is the travel impacting us, how are we greeted at away games, what's the deal with this Swofford guy). And for his ND fans, he covertly gets them "used" to the notion of ACC play. A little heavy petting/foreplay before consummating the relationship. I think in 4-6 years, they will join the ACC for all sports. Just a theory. Hope I am right, but I certainly could be wrong. But an 11-1 Notre Dame team not in the F4 could potentially accelerate the timetable.

They value $ and pseudo-independence over playoffs and national championships.

Great point. Selection criteria for college vs NFL playoffs is identical.
damn. im guessing sarcasm and its not true.

but yet it is for notre dame getting in the playoffs??

damn. im guessing sarcasm and its not true.

but yet it is for notre dame getting in the playoffs??

The playoffs in college are determined by committee and are by default more subjective than the NFL. So yeah, I would not be shocked to learn that ratings and money are, on some level, taken into consideration. If there was an NFL playoff committee, I would expect the same.

You seem to think that I like this. I do not.

My cousin and godfather Uncle went to ND. ND alums are a cult about independence. They would rather be left out of the playoff at 11-1 than join a conference. Only way ND joins a conference is if the P5 mandate it and they won't because the Big Ten doesn't want to push ND to the ACC and SEC/P12/B12 don't care about it.

Why so certain about the SEC/ I'll throw out two plausible scenarios where I can see the 2-loss SEC Champ excluded ...

1: If Florida wins the SEC East, loses to FSU, and wins the SEC Champ Game.
2: Two-loss Ole Miss wins out, including SEC Champ Game.
Certainly plausible but doubtful in my book. Florida hosts FSU and I think LSU/Bama will be the West team and favorite in Atlanta.
Also I think a 2 loss Florida with a win over LSU/Bama would get in.

Alsacs said:
My cousin and godfather Uncle went to ND. ND alums are a cult about independence. They would rather be left out of the playoff at 11-1 than join a conference. Only way ND joins a conference is if the P5 mandate it and they won't because the Big Ten doesn't want to push ND to the ACC and SEC/P12/B12 don't care about it.

Which is insane. Good luck explaining the importance of independence to a room full of football players.

"Look boys, if you'd gone somewhere else you might be playing for a national championship. But here, we have a history of picking who we want to play and that's more important"

The playoffs in college are determined by committee and are by default more subjective than the NFL. So yeah, I would not be shocked to learn that ratings and money are, on some level, taken into consideration. If there was an NFL playoff committee, I would expect the same.

You seem to think that I like this. I do not.
then prepared to be shocked.

as we must agree to disagree at this point.

Which is insane. Good luck explaining the importance of independence to a room full of football players.

"Look boys, if you'd gone somewhere else you might be playing for a national championship. But here, we have a history of picking who we want to play and that's more important"
I don't disagree with you. I am just telling you the insanity of their fanbase. They value Independence like William Wallace wanted Scotland free from the English crown.

I can't see ND joining a conference. The alums would go nuts.

no.

pay attention now...

they are at the back with the bevo when all other conf champs are at 0 losses or 1 loss.

and to think that nd will get a F4 spot because of eyeballs is freakin absolutely ludicrous.

we are out do to deliever a Fn championship here...not television ratings.

them in the top notch also rans would be best for college football ratings.

the F4 will take care of itself.

ridiculous...

You still haven't explained why ND takes a back seat to other one loss teams.

Btw you might want to explain your goofy theory to the Committee. They have ND ranked ahead of a zero loss team from the B1G and 2 one loss teams from the P12.

bpo57 said:
You still haven't explained why ND takes a back seat to other one loss teams. Btw you might want to explain your goofy theory to the Committee. They have ND ranked ahead of a zero loss team from the B1G and 2 one loss teams from the P12.

SOS.

They would finish above a lot of teams all things being equal. Kaiser is right (man that hurt to say) - things won't be equal. If a P5 team has one loss and an extra great 12th game it trumps ND and Big 12.

That's why conference title games matter. They'd have a win over top 25 UNC/Duke that ND would have zero answer for.

The whole body of work matters too. There is a reason why FSU is ranked 16th in the Committee's poll. Their OOC sked stinks with wins over Texas State, USF and Chattanooga. They barely scraped by WF and Miami and get to avoid UNC, Duke and Pitt. Their schedule is soft as a baby's behind except for UF and Clemson.

SOS.

They would finish above a lot of teams all things being equal. Kaiser is right (man that hurt to say) - things won't be equal. If a P5 team has one loss and an extra great 12th game it trumps ND and Big 12.

So if FSU loses one game this year you'd give them the nod? They played a hideously weak schedule and looked bad doing it. Same with a B12 team with one loss.

You still haven't explained why ND takes a back seat to other one loss teams.

Btw you might want to explain your goofy theory to the Committee. They have ND ranked ahead of a zero loss team from the B1G and 2 one loss teams from the P12.
ND is getting credit for playing a tougher schedule than the teams below them. The Big XII teams will rise once they will play each other. ND has Pitt, Wake, BC, Stanford their SOS will go down until Stanford.

Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma State, Michigan State, Iowa, Florida, Stanford(they play h2h though, Utah, Florida State all have higher ceilings than Notre Dame.
Oklahoma 11-1 vs. Notre Dame 11-1 would be VERY interesting. I would put Oklahoma ahead of them as well.
ND needs to go 11-1. Have Stanford win the Pac-12, all Big XII teams lose 1 game to have a chance.

This is true. And also funny because ND is "independent" in only the vaguest sense of the word. They are mandated to play 5 ACC opponents every year. They play Navy and USC every year. One can claim that those are "independent" choices, and they are by definition, but in reality that would never stop that USC series and obviously there's a long history with Navy so that's off the table too.

What this means is that ND has 7 set-in-stone games every year, and 5 truly "independent" games (if you don't count Stanford). So, not really all that "independent".

So if FSU loses one game this year you'd give them the nod? They played a hideously weak schedule and looked bad doing it. Same with a B12 team with one loss.
FSU 12-1 > ND 11-1.
The committee showed last year conference title matter a lot. ND not having a conference title would hurt them. ND at 11-1 has to have a clear advantage over a P5 champion. That extra game matters the committee showed that with Ohio State over TCU/Baylor last year.

This is true. And also funny because ND is "independent" in only the vaguest sense of the word. They are mandated to play 5 ACC opponents every year. They play Navy and USC every year. One can claim that those are "independent" choices, and they are by definition, but in reality that would never stop that USC series and obviously there's a long history with Navy so that's off the table too.

What this means is that ND has 7 set-in-stone games every year, and 5 truly "independent" games (if you don't count Stanford). So, not really all that "independent".
Welcome to what I tell my Uncle/cousin. They actually have 8 games in a stone. ND wants to finish in CA every year for recruiting purposes. They will play USC, Stanford, Navy, 5 ACC teams every year.

They spin it by telling me they have switched playing Purdue, Michigan, Michigan State, Pittsburgh, Boston College annually for 5 ACC teams. So its no skin off their back. ND fans demanding independence is why the Administration didn't join the Big Ten in 1999. The ND faculty voted unanimously to join the Big Ten for the CIC but the Administration listened to alumni more.

bpo57 said:

Yep.

Clemson is a win ND didn't get, that FSU would have.
FSU would have beaten Florida who is as good a win as Stanford.
And they'd have an extra win vs Duke/UNC/Pitt as insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom