Hey, look who's #1 and #2 in the College football playoff rankings... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Hey, look who's #1 and #2 in the College football playoff rankings...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The committee made it clear they value conference titles and your non-conference schedule.
The Big XII refusing to name one of Baylor or TCU champions instead of co-champions to the CFB committee hurt them.

This year with Pac-12 and ACC down on available playoff teams means ND and a Big XII team could slide in.

If ND wins out they will be in the CFB playoffs.

Their schedule is really tough this far and if they win at Stanford it will be like they are the Pac-12 champ.

Big XII teams need to be 12-0 to make it for sure this year. The committee is going to hold Baylor's OOC schedule against them. TCU atleast played at Minnesota. Baylor with 1 loss is gone.

I think only 2 slots are locked up. Big Ten and SEC champs are in. Clemson if they are 13-0 is a lock same for any Big XII team.

Then ND at 11-1 or Stanford 12-1. I have no clue after that.

bpo57 said:
You're not looking at the flip side though. A one loss team could enter a conference title game and lose, destroying their chances of being one of the top four.

But more than likely they are playing a 1 loss or undefeated team. And either way - I'd feel better playing my way in than hoping other teams lose.

Independence better be worth it

ND could get a second shot at Clemson or FSU in the ACC conference title game but they'd prefer to take their chances.

Alsacs said:
The committee made it clear they value conference titles and your non-conference schedule. The Big XII refusing to name one of Baylor or TCU champions instead of co-champions to the CFB committee hurt them. This year with Pac-12 and ACC down on available playoff teams means ND and a Big XII team could slide in. If ND wins out they will be in the CFB playoffs. Their schedule is really tough this far and if they win at Stanford it will be like they are the Pac-12 champ. Big XII teams need to be 12-0 to make it for sure this year. The committee is going to hold Baylor's OOC schedule against them. TCU atleast played at Minnesota. Baylor with 1 loss is gone. I think only 2 slots are locked up. Big Ten and SEC champs are in. Clemson if they are 13-0 is a lock same for any Big XII team. Then ND at 11-1 or Stanford 12-1. I have no clue after that.

If Clemson loses vs FSU but wins out - they'd get in over ND. Extra game vs UNC/DUKE plus a head to head w vs ND

If Clemson loses vs FSU but wins out - they'd get in over ND. Extra game vs UNC/DUKE plus a head to head w vs ND

Wouldn't FSU be in the conference tournament game instead of Clemson by virtue of the head to head win?

But more than likely they are playing a 1 loss or undefeated team. And either way - I'd feel better playing my way in than hoping other teams lose.

Independence better be worth it

ND could get a second shot at Clemson or FSU in the ACC conference title game but they'd prefer to take their chances.

Every time ND cashes one of NBC's checks they're reminded that independence is worth it.

bpo57 said:
Wouldn't FSU be in the conference tournament game instead of Clemson by virtue of the head to head win?

Ahhh - true.

bpo57 said:
Every time ND cashes one of NBC's checks they're reminded that independence is worth it.

How much do they get a year? I remember reading it was on par with ESPN/ACC $.

How much do they get a year? I remember reading it was on par with ESPN/ACC $.

ND gets $15 mil a year. But that's only for the six home games they play and doesn't count the six road games. Not sure what they get for each of those road games but they're all on ESPN/ABC so you know it is significant. They've got to be up over $25 mil at a minimum.

ACC teams get $17 mil per team in total.

good for them.

nobody gives a shlit about 'eyeballs'.

its the PLAYOFFS.

they better be hoping for a lot of 2 loss championship teams when theyre undefeated...or they will never get in.

i couldnt give 2 shlits about making a bet too, nobody has EVER paid me on here.

and theres really no sense to it, the debate is the best part...unless of course you are dyed in the wool nd fan like yourself who cant think without fandom coming into it and you need to prove something to yourself.

'I won $20 on an Internet bet because some guy said an undefeated nd team wouldn't ever make the playoffs! Well every conf crapped the bed and they got in, so I'm right!! Yer ha!!

Not really what I'm saying...but I'll give you a go Green!, just for fun...

Last edited:
BTW why do people not understand that being undefeated isn't the end-all-be-all? Do people honestly think Alabama should be ranked lower than, say, Michigan State?
Hell yeah.
If MSU played Alabama's schedule they'd have one loss...at least.

So yeah, the look test matters.
This is ridiculous. We can't possibly know what the results would be if MSU played Alabama's schedule. You're basically saying you think Alabama is better and throwing out the real game results in favor of imagined game results.

Come on, man. I think a lot of your posts on other topics make sense, but you're way out in the weeds on this, and if the committee's thinking is anything like that, they are too.

Hell yeah.

This is ridiculous. We can't possibly know what the results would be if MSU played Alabama's schedule. You're basically saying you think Alabama is better and throwing out the real game results in favor of imagined game results.

Come on, man. I think a lot of your posts on other topics make sense, but you're way out in the weeds on this, and if the committee's thinking is anything like that, they are too.

Fair enough. Probably an akward way to make my point.

Being undefeated now doesn't guarantee you anything until you complete the season undefeated. In the old days being undefeated mean you were ahead of the one loss teams in the polls.

This committee is saying if you have 1 loss and a good schedule they will rank you high and if your undefeated without playing the meat of your schedule don't be shocked if you start out lower than a 1 loss team.

The committee had 3 SEC teams in its initial top 4 last year Mississippi State, Florida State, Ole Miss, and Alabama. The season played itself out and the committee showed a few things. 1 SOS matters, 2. Conference titles matter 3. Conference Championship games will help you.

That was helpful. Michigan State/TCU/Baylor don't have the SOS that Alabama does. When they play their meat of their schedules and win the 0 vs. 1 loss will become negated.

Being undefeated now doesn't guarantee you anything until you complete the season undefeated. In the old days being undefeated mean you were ahead of the one loss teams in the polls.

This committee is saying if you have 1 loss and a good schedule they will rank you high and if your undefeated without playing the meat of your schedule don't be shocked if you start out lower than a 1 loss team.

The committee had 3 SEC teams in its initial top 4 last year Mississippi State, Florida State, Ole Miss, and Alabama. The season played itself out and the committee showed a few things. 1 SOS matters, 2. Conference titles matter 3. Conference Championship games will help you.

That was helpful. Michigan State/TCU/Baylor don't have the SOS that Alabama does. When they play their meat of their schedules and win the 0 vs. 1 loss will become negated.
I understand there's a certain logic to it.

What I don't understand is why people are more certain about how they assess schedule strength than they are certain about game results.

One of those things is an educated guess. The other thing represents something that actually happened.

I would put my eggs in the basket of what actually happened.

Just to follow up. FSU could win out and would get in over ND pretty easily. No title game dings ND, but a win over SEC Florida would be the real difference.

good for them.

nobody gives a shlit about 'eyeballs'.

its the PLAYOFFS.

they better be hoping for a lot of 2 loss championship teams when theyre undefeated...or they will never get in.

i couldnt give 2 shlits about making a bet too, nobody has EVER paid me on here.

and theres really no sense to it, the debate is the best part...unless of course you are dyed in the wool nd fan like yourself who cant think without fandom coming into it and you need to prove something to yourself.

'I won $20 on an Internet bet because some guy said an undefeated nd team wouldn't ever make the playoffs! Well every conf crapped the bed and they got in, so I'm right!! Yer ha!!

Not really what I'm saying...but I'll give you a go Green!, just for fun...

Eyeballs matter only in the sense that it's a counter to your goofy claim that ND is somehow at a disadvantage to the P5 conferences. I'd love to hear your logic as to why ND is at a disadvantage to those conferences. And if you don't think eyeballs matter to the NCAA then you've been in a coma for a few decades.

The rest of your comments are typical blather.

Btw just to clarify I'm not predicting ND will make the playoffs. I'm saying they will if they finish with one loss.

The committee will find a reason to let in Notre Dame because...they're Notre Dame.

Tell that to UEO. He thinks they're at the back of the line with Memphis. lol

Just to follow up. FSU could win out and would get in over ND pretty easily. No title game dings ND, but a win over SEC Florida would be the real difference.

Would be a close call. That loss to Gtech was a bad one. ND blew them out of the building.

Tell that to UEO. He thinks they're at the back of the line with Memphis. lol
no.

pay attention now...

they are at the back with the bevo when all other conf champs are at 0 losses or 1 loss.

and to think that nd will get a F4 spot because of eyeballs is freakin absolutely ludicrous.

we are out do to deliever a Fn championship here...not television ratings.

them in the top notch also rans would be best for college football ratings.

the F4 will take care of itself.

ridiculous...

Would be a close call. That loss to Gtech was a bad one. ND blew them out of the building.
Would be fascinating to watch that play out -
12-1 FSU (with wins over Florida and Clemson)
12-1 Alabama (with wins over LSU and several others in the top 20)
11-1 ND (win over Stanford, but it's ND we are talking about)
Undefeated team X out of the Big 12
Undefeated Memphis
Undefeated team X out of the Big 10

Oh the humanity of it all.

bpo57 said:

That's why conference title games matter. They'd have a win over top 25 UNC/Duke that ND would have zero answer for.

ND at 11-1 has a better chance than non-Oklahoma Big XII team 11-1. If OU goes 11-1 and beats all 3 other Big XII I think that would put them over ND.
Locks for CFB playoff
1. SEC Champ
2. Big Ten Champ

Then next in line
3. Undefeated ACC team
4. Undefeated Big XII team

Then
5. 1 loss Pac-12 team
6. 1 loss Oklahoma
6a. 1 loss Notre Dame
7. Undefeated Memphis

SEC Champ isn't a lock if the East somehow wins the conference title game. (Unless it's a 1 loss Florida)

After X amount of years with computer calculations we're back to a council of individuals deciding the fate of the NCAA Football Championship. Eyeball tests matter because it's eyeballs making the decision without a finite set criteria.

just who the F has nd beat this year any way??

texas 3-5
virginia 3-5
ga tech 3-6
umass who cares
clemson ok, but they LOST
navy 6-1 not really a threat
usc 5-3 could lord What is happening there
temple 7-1 that monster of a program
pitt 6-2 they could lose this
wake 3-6 please
bc 3-6 please
stanford ok fine

they could lose 2 more and if not the SOS is dropping with wake and bc.

not in the picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.