Hey Sutomcat! Did I miss something? | Syracusefan.com

Hey Sutomcat! Did I miss something?

OrangeinBoston

All Conference
Were you going to post your observations re Broyld separately? Or, maybe it got buried in a thread somewhere?

Were you going to post your observations re Broyld separately? Or, maybe it got buried in a thread somewhere?
Check over on the premium board.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Premium Members already received it via Vulcan Mind-Meld. It was good.

I wasn't planning on making a Broyld thread, but what the heck, let's do it.

At the practice on Friday and the spring game too, Ashton is mostly lining up as a RB. Sometimes he splits out to the wing, sometimes he splits out wide, sometimes he stays in the backfield. I think the staff would prefer to get him in one on one coverage against a linebacker than a cornerback, hence the reluctance to have him play a traditional WR role. Plus, he can legitimately run the ball from behind the QB and of course, he can throw the ball too and lining up in a bunch of places makes it harder to defend against that.

I think he is really good in the open field. Broke a couple of ankles again on Friday, cuts really well and is powerful too, which makes him a problem to tackle once he gets a head of steam going.

Look for him to play a lot when we run the Wildcat (I think we can expect to see the return of the Wildcat this season), along with Charlie Loeb. Loeb is a fine athlete who presents problems in the open field...he is surprisingly agile and fast for a big guy.

The biggest issue for Ashton right now is catching the ball. He didn't do a lot of that in HS and while I think he has excellent hands (I have seen him make a number of really good catches), he is not used to it and sometimes looks up/starts running with the ball before he has full possession of it.

It will be interesting to see how much playing time he receives and how many passes, runs and catches he ends up with. Like Go, I think a couple of touches a game is the best that can expected. Hope he becomes a big part of the offense...he is fun to watch play.

At the practice on Friday and the spring game too, Ashton is mostly lining up as a RB. Sometimes he splits out to the wing, sometimes he splits out wide, sometimes he stays in the backfield. I think the staff would prefer to get him in one on one coverage against a linebacker than a cornerback, hence the reluctance to have him play a traditional WR role. Plus, he can legitimately run the ball from behind the QB and of course, he can throw the ball too and lining up in a bunch of places makes it harder to defend against that.

I think he is really good in the open field. Broke a couple of ankles again on Friday, cuts really well and is powerful too, which makes him a problem to tackle once he gets a head of steam going.

Look for him to play a lot when we run the Wildcat (I think we can expect to see the return of the Wildcat this season), along with Charlie Loeb. Loeb is a fine athlete who presents problems in the open field...he is surprisingly agile and fast for a big guy.

The biggest issue for Ashton right now is catching the ball. He didn't do a lot of that in HS and while I think he has excellent hands (I have seen him make a number of really good catches), he is not used to it and sometimes looks up/starts running with the ball before he has full possession of it.

It will be interesting to see how much playing time he receives and how many passes, runs and catches he ends up with. Like Go, I think a couple of touches a game is the best that can expected. Hope he becomes a big part of the offense...he is fun to watch play.
Thanks!

Did Ashton play basketball in HS? He did, right? I'd think that would help him with improving his hands pretty quickly.

Can't wait to see him on the field. When is the last time we had a frosh with this much hype?

Also...I know he's a QB really, but how well does he throw the ball? If we run some option passes, how good of a deep ball does he throw?

Did Ashton play basketball in HS? He did, right? I'd think that would help him with improving his hands pretty quickly.

He did. It was after a basketball game that the flashing incident happened.

Can't wait to see him on the field. When is the last time we had a frosh with this much hype?

Also...I know he's a QB really, but how well does he throw the ball? If we run some option passes, how good of a deep ball does he throw?

Johnnie Morant??

He did. It was after a basketball game that the flashing incident happened.
OE and I saw Broyld play basketball against DCII and JD when he was a senior in HS. He was a fine hoops player, did a bit of everything, his immense athletic ability was evident. I have no qualms about his hands...he just has to get more reps catching the ball in traffic and I think he will be fine.

I agree about the number of touches. But I also hope that the THREAT of Broyld in the backfield makes defenses react differently and not cheat as much, opening things up for other offensive players even if Ashton doesn't get the ball every play he is in the game.

If 2 is the estimated number of touches per game for Ashton, I take the OVER.

You may not see him on a typical first down, or if we get into 2nd and 5 and want to run it again, but I expect (hope) he is part of several options we have on third downs.

I also hope that the THREAT of Broyld in the backfield makes defenses react differently and not cheat as much, opening things up for other offensive players even if Ashton doesn't get the ball every play he is in the game.
Hopefully he'll have some early success. Only then will he get more touches (4-5) which is required to make him a respected threat.

i expect we see him average 3-4 designed plays a game

when we landed broyld, i was hoping he could be muhammed sanu'ish. do you see the potential for that type of impact talent? not this year, but down the road.

when we landed broyld, i was hoping he could be muhammed sanu'ish. do you see the potential for that type of impact talent? not this year, but down the road.
He is a little bigger and stronger than Sanu, who is 6'1, 211 pounds. I think Ashton is faster too but that is hard to say for sure.

Not sure Ashton has the body control and ability to make space/get open that Sanu has; if they make him a WR, I am confident he will. But he has a lot in common with Sanu. Tough, physical, very athletic, able to play several positions, etc. The reason I want him to at least mostly play WR is because I think he, like Sanu, will be almost impossible to stop if put there. Sanu had 115 receptions last season. Would love to see Ashton because a focal point of the offense like that someday down the road (probably next year). I doubt we would ever throw that much to one player, but I think he will produce consistently if/when we go to him.

I also prefer he spend much more time at WR than RB. 6'4 is great for a WR target, but very vulnerable as a RB target.
Also wonder if QB is still a consideration for the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom