Hey TexanMark | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Hey TexanMark

My group sets up camp on University. It works great and we never have an issue finding a place.
Just how big is your "group". We're talking 10+ parking spots for 50+ people at each tailgate.

It wasn't a problem in the the late 80s and 90s when they averaged between 46k and 49k most of those years. In fact, they have built some large parking facilities since then e.g. huge parking garage on University. What's the real difference between then and now? SU was winning.

Back then the lots were there too. The garages just put more cars closer to the Dome but not for anything more than parking. Also, back then you could park on all the streets around the Dome, you can't now. I always parked on Henry or Fine for both football and basketball because I got there early enough to get a street spot. As to tailgating at Skytop or Manley, sure it can be done, but there is no atmosphere because you are not near the "game" or the hustle and bustle of fans of both teams. There's nothing better than tailgaiting in the Fine lot with 50-100 in our crew and booing the opposing teams bus as it comes up the street. At Manley, who am I suppose to boo? The Centro bus when it pulls in? :)

Just how big is your "group". We're talking 10+ parking spots for 50+ people at each tailgate.
usually 15-20 people... 6-7 cars but I never said we had a large group. However, there are larger groups nearby us. And lots with open spaces...some of them SU lots. Sure, we have a 5 minute walk to get to the stadium...so we grab a beer or 2 for our walk up there.

Exactly, the fine lot tailgate group has grown to such a size that I dont think any private lot can accomodate it. Certainly not someones lawn or driveway.

An alternative would be to find a private lot and either buy it out for each game or get a guaranteed number of spots to hold all of the gear. The current location is probably as good as can be found.

Someone needs to talk to Gedney and find a way to be grandfathered in. There must be other large tailgate groups that have similar concerns. Do they even know that large, established, tailgate groups exist? There must be a solution that can be worked out some how. Then again, perhaps they didn't even think about this aspect of "parking".

An alternative would be to find a private lot and either buy it out for each game or get a guaranteed number of spots to hold all of the gear. The current location is probably as good as can be found.

Someone needs to talk to Gedney and find a way to be grandfathered in. There must be other large tailgate groups that have similar concerns. Do they even know that large, established, tailgate groups exist? There must be a solution that can be worked out some how. Then again, perhaps they didn't even think about this aspect of "parking".

I think those two options you outlined would be our best bet Jurrie. I talked with Mark yesterday and we have a couple irons in the fire. Dont know if we have enough pull to get grandfathered in but as you noted SU probably has no idea that tailgate goups even exist. I know a few of us are trying to reach out Chris and others in the Ath dept hoepfully we can get some answers/good news.

Got the letter today from SU explaining parking situation.

In summary:

Loss of Raynor lot (to law building) will result in loss of 175 spaces.

School will do its best to reduce impact of space reduction.

As expected, some Zone A parking patrons will be moved to other Zone A lots.

Parking passes will be assigned in Zone A lots based on patron's giving level for 2011-12.

Once those lots are filled, season parking passes will be assigned in the remaining Zone A lots.

Patrons parking in Zone A lots must continue to be an Orange Club member ($125 yearly donation).

Not changes anticipated in Zone B or C lots.

Don't expect to know what lot you're in until August.

Mark, you said we should ask for Standart lot if given the choice. Little concerned with this. I would hate to wind up in Standart if we're tailgating in Fine.

Thoughts?

Well this could be a Clusterfluck...but if we get pushed out...it most likely will be Standart. I don't see Fine Lot folks moving elsewhere (poop flows downhill rule). Maybe midsummer we as a group could negotiate all moving to Standart if it looks like we are getting split up...just a thought. Probably I should take a census of all the Fine Mess who have actual Fine Mess Parking Passes. I'll do this via private message.

Well this could be a Clusterfluck...but if we get pushed out...it most likely will be Standart. I don't see Fine Lot folks moving elsewhere (poop flows downhill rule). Maybe midsummer we as a group could negotiate all moving to Standart if it looks like we are getting split up...just a thought. Probably I should take a census of all the Fine Mess who have actual Fine Mess Parking Passes. I'll do this via private message.

Perhaps it makes sense for everyone to move to Standart to avoid the inevitable.

So they cant build those buildings somewhere else? SU owns acres of land around there, are you telling me thats the only spot they have to build?? You think this what happen at Ohio State, UNC, Duke, Michigan, etc. The answer is no. And those 30 times a year non students are usign the lots are generating millions of dollars in revenues from fans who park in those lots.

They are being built there for a reason. The western part of campus is an eyesore. I, for one, am thrilled the University is finally getting around to doing something about it and filling in the ugliness that exists west of the Dome.

They are being built there for a reason. The western part of campus is an eyesore. I, for one, am thrilled the University is finally getting around to doing something about it and filling in the ugliness that exists west of the Dome.

An eyesore? SU doesnt even own half the land over there and the other half is lots, buildings and roads owned by county. Not sure I am following here.

Do you think they will be getting all those houses torn down? They are the ugliness of that side of the dome, not the parking lots.

An eyesore? SU doesnt even own half the land over there and the other half is lots, buildings and roads owned by county. Not sure I am following here.

I would much prefer that the western edge of our campus not consist of endless parking lots and parking garages. IMO, the whole area leading down to Brewster & Boland Halls is a mess. It was when I was in school and it remains so to this day. There is no life on that side of campus and with large student population groups there with Sadler and Lawrinson Halls right there (plus ESF), it doesn't need to be that way. If they can spruce it up by filling in Irving Avenue with a new Law building and more student housing (a big need on campus seeing that students are living in the Sheraton and Parkview Hotels), then I am all for that.

Do you think they will be getting all those houses torn down? They are the ugliness of that side of the dome, not the parking lots.

If I can one day walk along Irving Avenue from say, Sadler Hall walking north, and not have to see the depression that exists as I look to my left, I would be a happy camper. More student housing and academic buildings lining Irving Avenue will close off that edge of campus. I see what the University is trying to do, and I like it. I think they're willing to take the trade-off of upsetting a few hundred tailgaters in return for improving the overall campus look and feel. Not to mention, I believe there are better environs to tailgate (Manley and Skytop for example). Yes, its farther, but to me I just find it much more collegiate than hanging out in a parking lot near the edge of some dicey neighborhood. Just my opinion.

If I can one day walk along Irving Avenue from say, Sadler Hall walking north, and not have to see the depression that exists as I look to my left, I would be a happy camper. More student housing and academic buildings lining Irving Avenue will close off that edge of campus. I see what the University is trying to do, and I like it. I think they're willing to take the trade-off of upsetting a few hundred tailgaters in return for improving the overall campus look and feel. Not to mention, I believe there are better environs to tailgate (Manley and Skytop for example). Yes, its farther, but to me I just find it much more collegiate than hanging out in a parking lot near the edge of some dicey neighborhood. Just my opinion.

Well the houses that are the real eyesore over there are not owned by SU so no matter what they plan there not going anywhere unless SU buys out the owners which is probably unlikely. Second while you may prefer Manley and Skytop I personally do not and I dont think most tailgaters do judging by how many are around the lots for fball games. Its not about upsetting a few hundred tailgaters its about protecting your fan base and ensuring that your #1 and #2 money makers are set for success. The campus look is great I dont know anyone who considers the parking lots and that area the heart of campus. What about the VA is SU gonna buy that out to "improve the overal look" of the very end of there campus???

Plain and simple, though, the tailgating is way below average at Syracuse. I wish it was better. Better tailgating would attract more fans and put more people in the seats and make the program more attractive to recruits.

Plain and simple, though, the tailgating is way below average at Syracuse. I wish it was better. Better tailgating would attract more fans and put more people in the seats and make the program more attractive to recruits.

Certainly agree with you there

Well the houses that are the real eyesore over there are not owned by SU so no matter what they plan there not going anywhere unless SU buys out the owners which is probably unlikely. Second while you may prefer Manley and Skytop I personally do not and I dont think most tailgaters do judging by how many are around the lots for fball games. Its not about upsetting a few hundred tailgaters its about protecting your fan base and ensuring that your #1 and #2 money makers are set for success. The campus look is great I dont know anyone who considers the parking lots and that area the heart of campus. What about the VA is SU gonna buy that out to "improve the overal look" of the very end of there campus???

You are coming at it from the angle of being an SU sports fan, thats clear. You are talking tailgating, I am talking about improvement of the campus, and hence the University. As an alum, that's important to me and I'm thrilled they are finally addressing that area of campus. I will assume you aren't and could care less about campus improvement and thats fine.

It appears from the link I have attached that all of those parking lots are eventually goners within a couple of years and that area will be anchored by the law building with student housing and some retail thrown in. The Fine Tailgate will survive. It just won't be west of the Dome.

http://www.law.syr.edu/dineen/images/dineen_hall.pdf

There are 12 rental houses on west campus. SU will own the land beneath ten of them shortly if it doesn't already (an ESF shell company owns them and has traded that block for the east half of the Standart lot). Sadly, they're the aesthetic highlight of the neighborhood. The treeless acres of surface parking amid exposed utility lines are a blight on the University's holdings and they know it. They're taking an active role in eliminating these eyesores, as we saw with the Bowne/Carnegie/Archbold streetscape improvements this past summer.

I know the lots west of campus offer a better tailgating atmosphere than most of the alternatives, but disappointment need not distort reality.

There are 12 rental houses on west campus. SU will own the land beneath ten of them shortly if it doesn't already (an ESF shell company owns them and has traded that block for the east half of the Standart lot). Sadly, they're the aesthetic highlight of the neighborhood. The treeless acres of surface parking amid exposed utility lines are a blight on the University's holdings and they know it. They're taking an active role in eliminating these eyesores, as we saw with the Bowne/Carnegie/Archbold streetscape improvements this past summer.

I know the lots west of campus offer a better tailgating atmosphere than most of the alternatives, but disappointment need not distort reality.

Well said

The reality is this, coming from people who have gone to SU games for 20, 30, 40 years...SU only talks about how important the fans are. While any one decision may be the best for Syracuse University whether it be more $$$$, more academic buildings, eyesores, game locations, parking, tailgating etc., the message is constantly that they are de-emphasizing football to the fan. Every decision made is good for "something" but always bad for the fans. That's fine, it is their choice. But they should just admit that the fans and the fan experience is not high on their list of priorities. Then stop raising prices and stop acting like the success of the program is dependent upon the fans and getting more of them in the seats. There are some at SU who have admitted privately that the return of this program to where it once was depends a lot on the fans. If that is the case, then why do everything in your power to minimize attendance? It's talking out of both sides of your mouth (meaning SU).

But I will say again, that I think it won't be long (5 years?) that we will see plans for a new stadium at Skytop.

Remember, there a big difference between the athletic department valuing (or claiming to value - since I agree that their actions don't suggest they value the fans as much as they claim) fans and the chancellor and the Board of Trustees valuing fans.

Even assuming that fans are the #1 priority of the athletic department (and none of us believes that to be the case), that doesn't have much bearing on the institution's building plans.

On the last point, Bees, I'm not doubting your sources, but it'd be surprising to see how SU manages to fund a new football stadium. A school of this size takes years to pull together funding for a new practice facility; even a utilitarian stadium at Skytop would cost a quarter-billion dollars. And that's just for a stadium, on a barren hilltop surrounded by residential neighborhoods and served by a couple two-lane roads and city streets. Access to Skytop is far more limited than access to the Dome, and is almost non-existent for non-motorists. People talk about a direct I-481 interchange, but that at best that would be a logistical challenge and tens of millions of dollars more. It's all possible but seems an odd scheme, even if we are winning ten games a year.

The reality is this, coming from people who have gone to SU games for 20, 30, 40 years...SU only talks about how important the fans are. While any one decision may be the best for Syracuse University whether it be more $$$$, more academic buildings, eyesores, game locations, parking, tailgating etc., the message is constantly that they are de-emphasizing football to the fan. Every decision made is good for "something" but always bad for the fans. That's fine, it is their choice. But they should just admit that the fans and the fan experience is not high on their list of priorities. Then stop raising prices and stop acting like the success of the program is dependent upon the fans and getting more of them in the seats. There are some at SU who have admitted privately that the return of this program to where it once was depends a lot on the fans. If that is the case, then why do everything in your power to minimize attendance? It's talking out of both sides of your mouth (meaning SU).

But I will say again, that I think it won't be long (5 years?) that we will see plans for a new stadium at Skytop.

Bingo, this what non locals and people who are looking at it strictly from a University prespective need to consider. I just hope they remember this when the rest of the locals wake up and the bitching begins.

It definitely sucks for parking, but they need that new Law building in the worst way. SU's Law program is sucking wind right now, rankings and passed bar exam-wise at least, and I expect the new building/housing accommodations to be a huge boost for them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom