Hey TexanMark | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hey TexanMark

You would think that with all the fan unfriendly decisions they have made, they are trying to kill off the football program.

Unreal, Im at the point of giving up with these guys. From moving every marque game to the Meadowlands to the complete lack of any perks for orange pack guys/season ticket holders and now this. Its hard enough being an SU fball fan and the University just piles on more every year.

Unreal, Im at the point of giving up with these guys. From moving every marque game to the Meadowlands to the complete lack of any perks for orange pack guys/season ticket holders and now this. Its hard enough being an SU fball fan and the University just piles on more every year.

...and cue the whining from the CNYers. How dare the University build new academic buildings and/or housing.

...and cue the whining from the CNYers. How dare the University build new academic buildings and/or housing.

Yea, that's it.

Yea, that's it.

LOL news flash without the Cnyers theres no SU program period. SU has plenty of room/space and or money to build someplace else yet they choose teh few measely parking lots they have for football, basketball, and Lax.

I ve heard that this is part of the master plan. The dome is on valuable realestate and eventually acedemic buildings will be built on that site. New BBall arena will be built on land they purchased at the end of the connective corridor near the warehouse/ armory and the football stadium will be built on sky top, the other end of the corridor. Could be just rumors, but I've heard it for a few years, and it does make some sense.

I ve heard that this is part of the master plan. The dome is on valuable realestate and eventually acedemic buildings will be built on that site. New BBall arena will be built on land they purchased at the end of the connective corridor near the warehouse/ armory and the football stadium will be built on sky top, the other end of the corridor. Could be just rumors, but I've heard it for a few years, and it does make some sense.

Doesnt seem far fetched to me, I think thats well down the road though, Dome is likely to be around at least another decade and thats being conservative probably more like two decades.

New BBall arena will be built on land they purchased at the end of the connective corridor near the warehouse/ armory and the football stadium will be built on sky top, the other end of the corridor.

You think you've got parking problems now?

Try finding parking for a crowd of 25,000 in Armory Square. :rolling:

Fine Mess Folks: Here is the plan as of now. Everyone pay up like you are getting the Fine Lot. As things shake out I expect a few of us might get moved to another lot...you should ask for Standart if given a choice. We'll reassess how many Fine Lot folks get moved. But I expect the tailgate to be still held at the Fine Lot but Standart is a possibility too. Hard to make a definitive plan until we know all the facts.

I don't have a problem with what SU is doing...land is scarce on the hill. They have to take care of the larger donors. As someone else said...this is the perfect time to reintroduce a train...however isn't the trolley lot still torn up in Armory?

Fine Mess Folks: Here is the plan as of now. Everyone pay up like you are getting the Fine Lot. As things shake out I expect a few of us might get moved to another lot...you should ask for Standart if given a choice. We'll reassess how many Fine Lot folks get moved. But I expect the tailgate to be still held at the Fine Lot but Standart is a possibility too. Hard to make a definitive plan until we know all the facts.

I don't have a problem with what SU is doing...land is scarce on the hill. They have to take care of the larger donors. As someone else said...this is the perfect time to reintroduce a train...however isn't the trolley lot still torn up in Armory?

They're putting in stormwater storage tanks in the old lot. Construction to be completed by Dec 2013.

http://www.cnycentral.com/news/story.aspx?id=657210

Yes, but if we all get up and drive to Binghamton, we can tailgate in the baseball stadium parking lot, hop on a train 2-3 hours before kickoff, and have plenty of space to tailgate with ample parking.

SU administration would consider this a win for everyone and a way to kick off their "Orange in the Armpit" promotions.

It's a temporary inconvenience; look at it rationally. They have (I think) five parking lots on west campus. Even if they want to replace those with structured parking, they'd have to close those lots while they construct garages on them.

People have been coming to the games in relatively large numbers for over thirty years (well more than that if you consider crowds of 35,000-40,000 at Archbold). There was never any more parking in that neighborhood than there was up through last year, when apartment construction on the first block began. Somehow people managed to get to the hill, even when there was less parking in the neighborhood than there will be next fall.

Further, while I know that the tailgating space is very important to everyone, keep in mind that these are the lots that many on this board have repeatedly disparaged for their inaccessibility. Several times in recent months we've seen hue and cry about the 40-minute traffic back-ups leaving those lots. More than a few have noted that those permit lots are the worst option in terms of accessibility.

It's not crazy that SU wants to construct more buildings on land it owns, and it's sure not crazy that it wants to beautify the ugliest part of its campus. They're doing the best they can.

It's a temporary inconvenience; look at it rationally. They have (I think) five parking lots on west campus. Even if they want to replace those with structured parking, they'd have to close those lots while they construct garages on them.

People have been coming to the games in relatively large numbers for over thirty years (well more than that if you consider crowds of 35,000-40,000 at Archbold). There was never any more parking in that neighborhood than there was up through last year, when apartment construction on the first block began. Somehow people managed to get to the hill, even when there was less parking in the neighborhood than there will be next fall.

Further, while I know that the tailgating space is very important to everyone, keep in mind that these are the lots that many on this board have repeatedly disparaged for their inaccessibility. Several times in recent months we've seen hue and cry about the 40-minute traffic back-ups leaving those lots. More than a few have noted that those permit lots are the worst option in terms of accessibility.

It's not crazy that SU wants to construct more buildings on land it owns, and it's sure not crazy that it wants to beautify the ugliest part of its campus. They're doing the best they can.
You make some good points but darn it, you are not thinking like a fan! Even if the replace all of the lost parking spaces with spaces in attractive garages, it will kill tailgating.

The fundmental problem is that the Dome is in a bad place for a big event center. The university continues to grow and is encrouching on the last open land near the Dome, making a bad situation an awful one. SU is doing the right thing. At some point, they are going to have to do the next logical step and build a Dome on South Campus.

At some point, they are going to have to do the next logical step and build a Dome on South Campus.

With a retractable roof. It's been considered and I still have no doubt that' where we get to in time.

You make some good points but darn it, you are not thinking like a fan! Even if the replace all of the lost parking spaces with spaces in attractive garages, it will kill tailgating.

The fundmental problem is that the Dome is in a bad place for a big event center. The university continues to grow and is encrouching on the last open land near the Dome, making a bad situation an awful one. SU is doing the right thing. At some point, they are going to have to do the next logical step and build a Dome on South Campus.

Yeah, the garage idea stinks for tailgating - as far as I'm concerned, it's open-air or nothing.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, SU needs to think outside the box here. We don't need a parking lot for tailgating - plenty of schools do on-campus tailgating. There are acres of green space all over campus (including the Quad). They ought to allot season ticketholders a plot of space, allow them to drop off supplies there a few hours before the game, and tailgate there. Or get a bunch of work-study kids to valet people's cars and store them off-site.

It'd be the best tailgate scene around.

Having a Dome on a hill is a bad place anyways due to lack of parking alone. Now they are eating up the only parking lots they have left. It sure does seem like they don't give a damn about BBall and FBall fans. Might as well build an off-campus stadium with great tailgating lots and deal with the fact that the students won't come nearly as much.

Agreed...I prefer a 50-60k seat retractable Dome built around retail, housing and entertainment on South Campus...along with mass transit (light rail?) connecting South Campus to Main Campus to downtown to The Mall to the Regional Transit Center to the Airport

Second choice open air stadium around 45-50k (but easily expandable) located on South Campus and 23-25k SOA Arena built somewhere near downtown or by the Mall with the obvious hotel/entertainment add ons.

LOL news flash without the Cnyers theres no SU program period. SU has plenty of room/space and or money to build someplace else yet they choose teh few measely parking lots they have for football, basketball, and Lax.

Come on. Buildings to support students that generate 5 figures a year that get used year round vs preserving parking lots that get used by non students maybe 30 times a year.

It's an easy decision.

The dome will not be replaced any time within the next 20 years. The cost of a retractable roof is prohibitive. It's a nice thing to have but too expensive. Just look at the costs of recently built stadiums. We're talking $500M for a bare-bones stadium (at best) with a retractable roof. I don't see the need for it to be retractable (given the costs of doing so). However, the roof itself is critical in this climate so a pure open-air stadium is out the window. As for parking, I think people just like to complain. The lots in Manley are fine if you like that sort of thing. If you want to pay more for lots around the dome, that's fine too. If you want to camp out in or near one of the pay lots ...that's fine too. Our tailgate group has a great time doing so and it's an easy walk to the dome. Sure, it's different than the "big lot" stadiums but so what ...different can be good. I like the coziness of the various tailgating venues at SU and do not find the experience worse than other "big lot" stadiums. Make the best of it!

I'll tell you what... if SU becomes a winner again (like 8-12 wins per year), the dome will "fill" again like in the late 80s and into the 90s and no one will care too much about these extraneous things...just as no one cares in the big box schools that the stadium is not really a good place to actually SEE a game... but people are just happy to be there.

I'll tell you what... if SU becomes a winner again (like 8-12 wins per year), the dome will "fill" again like in the late 80s and into the 90s and no one will care too much about these extraneous things...just as no one cares in the big box schools that the stadium is not really a good place to actually SEE a game... but people are just happy to be there.[/quote]

If the team ever gets to a point where we are putting up near sell out numbers the administration is gonna have a nightmare on there hands. Forget tailgating theres not enough parking up there now to accomodate 30-35,oo0 people less 50K. IF it wasnt for the two privately owned parking garges across from the dome and the Crouse Garge and other private lots farther away there wouldnt be enough to accomodate the ones we are getting now. Most fairweather fans when they come back to the team are goign to try and park near and around the dome, they dont even know about parking at skytop or Manley. You think traffic is bad now wait till 20,000 locals are packed around that 4 block radius. This is just another in a series of short sighted moves by SU that will undoubtedly come back to haunt them in the long run.

Come on. Buildings to support students that generate 5 figures a year that get used year round vs preserving parking lots that get used by non students maybe 30 times a year.

It's an easy decision.

So they cant build those buildings somewhere else? SU owns acres of land around there, are you telling me thats the only spot they have to build?? You think this what happen at Ohio State, UNC, Duke, Michigan, etc. The answer is no. And those 30 times a year non students are usign the lots are generating millions of dollars in revenues from fans who park in those lots.

If the team ever gets to a point where we are putting up near sell out numbers the administration is gonna have a nightmare on there hands. Forget tailgating theres not enough parking up there now to accomodate 30-35,oo0 people less 50K. IF it wasnt for the two privately owned parking garges across from the dome and the Crouse Garge and other private lots farther away there wouldnt be enough to accomodate the ones we are getting now. Most fairweather fans when they come back to the team are goign to try and park near and around the dome, they dont even know about parking at skytop or Manley. You think traffic is bad now wait till 20,000 locals are packed around that 4 block radius. This is just another in a series of short sighted moves by SU that will undoubtedly come back to haunt them in the long run.

It wasn't a problem in the the late 80s and 90s when they averaged between 46k and 49k most of those years. In fact, they have built some large parking facilities since then e.g. huge parking garage on University. What's the real difference between then and now? SU was winning.

It wasn't a problem in the the late 80s and 90s when they averaged between 46k and 49k most of those years. In fact, they have built some large parking facilities since then e.g. huge parking garage on University. What's the real difference between then and now? SU was winning.

So the loss of 3 tailgating lots including two large ones will have no affect? Parking was an issue then and a huge issue now.

So the loss of 3 tailgating lots including two large ones will have no affect? Parking was an issue then and a huge issue now.
Parking was, is, and will forever be an "issue" up there. However, I bet there are more parking spaces there now than in the 80s & 90s. As for traffic, in every large stadium I have ever been to, getting out after a game is a chore. Frankly, I am out and onto the Thruway in maybe 10-15 minutes each game...and that is better than most.

Parking was, is, and will forever be an "issue" up there. However, I bet there are more parking spaces there now than in the 80s & 90s. As for traffic, in every large stadium I have ever been to, getting out after a game is a chore. Frankly, I am out and onto the Thruway in maybe 10-15 minutes each game...and that is better than most.

What about tailgating? Does that just dissappear or get reserved for the Big time donors? SU is failing to look at the bigger picture here and may end up alienating a large portion of there diehard fanbase.

What about tailgating? Does that just dissappear or get reserved for the Big time donors? SU is failing to look at the bigger picture here and may end up alienating a large portion of there diehard fanbase.
Losing parking near the dome will hurt tailgating but it does not have to. First, there is still Manley and Skytop though I personally don't tailgate there. But, there are still plenty of private lots and lawns to "tailgate" on. My group sets up camp on University. It works great and we never have an issue finding a place. In addition, when we have really bad weather, we either tailgate in the new garage or we go to Chuck's. It works out great. I'm just saying, the sky isn't falling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom