"Highest ranked team in BCS standings between Rutgers, Louisville and Syracuse... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

"Highest ranked team in BCS standings between Rutgers, Louisville and Syracuse...

they lost to a horrible uconn team

Fact.

But they are 20th, and still 9-2. They're not falling 20 spots AND not moving back up a little if they win Thursday.

I'm not saying there is much of a shot. In fact, I think its damn near impossible. But whatever shot we have depends on LVille and RU taking a nosedive in the polls this week. And with the number of winners behind them, there is the slimmest of possibilities that it could happen.

Can you see SU making the jump from 43 to 35?

I agree that its improbable but its a good feeling that I'm at least looking forward to the rankings release tomorrow night. You know, just in case. For the record, the computers will be very penal to both RU and UL for losing to such low rated teams. We're going to be closer than most think.

I guess it does pay to beat up a bunch of high schools like RU and UL did OOC to give that appearance of superiority, record-wise. Syracuse 7-5 > Lville/Rutgers 10-2. Unfortunately, pollsters/coaches/computers are lazy.

ultimately we are hurt by USC being sub-par and Mizzou being average this year

Fact.

But they are 20th, and still 9-2. They're not falling 20 spots AND not moving back up a little if they win Thursday.

Is it too much to ask those involved in affecting BCS standings to atleast do their homework as we get towards the end here? In this instance, weak OOC scheduling seems like it may be the difference between a BCS bowl for Lville/Rutgers.

Even you mention that they are 9-2 as opposed to our 7-5. Lville played one OOC game of significance (if you want to call it that, UNC) and slid by at home. Would be nice if people wouldn't just look at the record and would dig a bit deeper. Otherwise, we need to rejigger our OOC scheduling going forward.

true. We will find out soon enough!
Yes. If Rutgers beats FCU (fried chicken u), this is all moot and none of the other games matters (CTO, I'm thinking of you here). If not, then Cincy also has to loose to give us a chance, because if they don't (and it's a 4-way tie), we would loose b/c we lost to 2 of the 3 other teams (Rutgers, Cincy).

So our only path is:
1-Rutgers and Fried Chicken plumet in the polls to the 30's this week, with us ahead of 'Ville a couple of spots (don't hold your breath);
2-'Ville beats Rutgirls, climbs to even with us in the polls, and Rutgers falls behind us in the BCS rankings,
3 -AND Cincy looses to Yukon;

We could then get a BCS bid. This is about as likely as me, Cuseregular and Texanmark walking onto to the SU football team and playing in this year's bowl.

The conversation brought to you by the fine folks at: Firing GRob.

Wait, you mean firing a coach can lead to a program improving?!

IMPOSSIBLE.

I agree that its improbable but its a good feeling that I'm at least looking forward to the rankings release tomorrow night. You know, just in case. For the record, the computers will be very penal to both RU and UL for losing to such low rated teams. We're going to be closer than most think.

I guess it does pay to beat up a bunch of high schools like RU and UL did OOC to give that appearance of superiority, record-wise. Syracuse 7-5 > Lville/Rutgers 10-2. Unfortunately, pollsters/coaches/computers are lazy.

You said penal.

Heh-heh.

You think a 9-2 Louisville team will be ranked behind a 7-5 SU team this week?! And will stay behind an idle SU team after winning a prime time game on Thursday?!

A 10-2 team will be behind us? After our big win over Temple?

Lets just agree to disagree.

Yep, where we benefit is that the loser is 9-3 and on either a 2 game or 3 game losing streak, depending on which team. Which means with our 5-1 finish, 3 game winning streak, and yardage eating offense, it's going to be hard for the Russell to pass us up for the loser of that game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bad grammar. With "more than two," it should be AMONG... and not BETWEEN. No wonder kids today cannot speak the English language. They are being taught by the broadcast media geniuses... not by English teachers.

Ticker says "among". OP is wrong.

Is it too much to ask those involved in affecting BCS standings to atleast do their homework as we get towards the end here?
Yes.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Bad grammar. With "more than two," it should be AMONG... and not BETWEEN. No wonder kids today cannot speak the English language. They are being taught by the broadcast media geniuses... not by English teachers.

I'm glad someone else catches these things.

I like the SEC rule for tiebreakers, in the event of a 3 way tie you use the BCS rankings to eliminate the 3rd place team and then let the head to head tiebreaker work on the top two unless the higher ranked team is 5 slots higher in the BCS rankings than the 2nd team even if the 2nd team beat the first head to head.

Well of course ESPN is ignoring the fact we need UConn to beat Cincinnati for that 3 way tie to happen. I believe we have a shot if the UL-RU game was a ugly steamy turd of a game UL won and SU got respect for how they have played in the second half of the year. While I wouldn't expect us to pass UL it could get interesting. Edit: I really wish we could have played that game under protest I hate complaining about refs as they usually suck both ways, but that was the most unfairly officiated game I have ever seen SU football involved in.

Ummm ... you obviously have forgotten 1998, McNabb's senior year versus Tennessee in the Dome with SEC officials.

Yep, where we benefit is that the loser is 9-3 and on either a 2 game or 3 game losing streak, depending on which team. Which means with our 5-1 finish, 3 game winning streak, and yardage eating offense, it's going to be hard for the Russell to pass us up for the loser of that game.

I'd don't believe that a bowl, picking 2nd, passes up a 9-3 team for a 7-5 one.

It will look better in paper when one scours match ups, and that's what will drive your tv ratings. A bowl really would have to sell why they took a 7-5 squad. Doubt thy want to do that.

It will look better in paper when one scours match ups, and that's what will drive your tv ratings. A bowl really would have to sell why they took a 7-5 squad. Doubt thy want to do that.
As I recall, we got screwed out of the 2001 Gator Bowl when we had the better record. Because they thought VT would bring more bodies to the game.

I tend to agree, especially since even a UL team on a 3 game losing streak would still travel better than us.

I think Belk takes us though. We have a nice little fan base in the Carolinas. And our looming ACC status should trump Rutgers & Cincy.

As I recall, we got screwed out of the 2001 Gator Bowl when we had the better record. Because they thought VT would bring more bodies to the game.

Correct.

As an aside, that the BE let that happen is the moment I wanted out of that conference.

That could be right, especially because the other side is, at best, going to be a 7-5 NC State team.

Plus Russell Bowl might have a bad taste from our last appearance.

Belk has never had us, and being in the heart of ACCville, they may be more intrigued with taking us than Cincy.

That could be right, especially because the other side is, at best, going to be a 7-5 NC State team.

Belk has never had us, and being in the heart of ACCville, they may be more intrigued with taking us than Cincy.

I hope so. It is a cheaper, easier flight from NYC. And 12/27 works much better for me than 12/28.

I can see bell, for reasons listed.

Russell is not on my radar, I would be absolutely stunned if they get invited there.

Rutgers-Lille game is winner/loser bcs/Russell.