His heel does't matter. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

His heel does't matter.

Honestly Block/Charges are more dangerous to player safety then elbows. How often does a kid get under someone and one of the two players goes down hard. It really rewards a defensive player for making a dangerous play, same problem as the elbow rule. Both things need to be looked at thoroughly.

And the crap complaining about having .5 put on the clock. There was obviously .5 left when the ball went through the cylinder.

This (part 2)...clearly .5, why complaining?

just change the rule back to the what it started.. no such thing as a charge.. no more questions

CBS just brought NCAA head of officials on who basically says call was wrong...so...there it is.

To improve the accuracy rate on those calls, men’s officials are being asked to apply the following guidelines, which the Men’s Basketball Rules Committee approved in May:

• Before the offensive player (with the ball) becomes airborne, the defender must have two feet on the floor, be facing the opponent and be stationary to draw a charge. Otherwise, it should be a blocking foul.

You can stop right there. Block.

Gee, they don't know the rule. The restricted area line is a column to the ceiling.

Craft should have had a blocking foul and-1

BTW great knowledge off the top of your head. I have a feeling not many people knew that while watching the telecast. especially when homer simpson (kellogg) was ranting about how great of a call it was.

also the ref making the call is not the one who is supposed to see the feet, 3 refs they all have things to look for. the backside guy should be coming in down low to see the play as well as the ref who had the front side baseline who has a job to see the contact the block portion. the other refs should be watching for the feet part of the equation.

Gee, they don't know the rule. The restricted area line is a column to the ceiling.

Craft should have had a blocking foul and-1

An Officials Official is on CBS admitting they missed the call, but qualifying with how difficult a call it is to make. And it's not a reviewable play.

All I can say is from HS experience. Back then, if the defender was moving, in any way, if his feet were not set, and the offensive player hit him, it was a foul on the defense.

It's a naive way to look at this issue, but it's a pretty simple call from that perspective. These defenders, these floppers, are always moving, always sliding into position, often after the offensive player is in the air. What's an offensive player to do?

College basketball officiating just needs to be blown up, and redone. Rules simplified. It all seems much harder than it needs to be.

And 1 for the win.

Yep. Doesn't even matter where his heel was. It was a block in everyway possible.

mind boggling how a ref in perfect position could see it any other way.

An Officials Official is on CBS admitting they missed the call, but qualifying with how difficult a call it is to make. And it's not a reviewable play.

All I can say is from HS experience. Back then, if the defender was moving, in any way, if his feet were not set, and the offensive player hit him, it was a foul on the defense.

It's a naive way to look at this issue, but it's a pretty simple call from that perspective. These defenders, these floppers, are always moving, always sliding into position, often after the offensive player is in the air. What's an offensive player to do?

College basketball officiating just needs to be blown up, and redone. Rules simplified. It all seems much harder than it needs to be.

I wish it was that simple. A primary defender is allowed to move his feet as long as he maintains his defensive position. A secondary defender like Mr. Craft is not allowed to move his feet.

But it has to be a reviewable call.

Saw that, but why not?

Not sure, but were I to guess, I'd say it has to do with not wanting to affect the speed of the game (like they give a stuff about that in the tourney).

You can stop right there. Block.

The reality is they have to give the offensive player the benefit of the doubt in these. He clearly wasn't intentionally trying to bull through the defender and that's the whole point of the charge call. Kind of like a tie goes to the runner in baseball, a tie (and I'm not saying this one was close to a tie) should always go to the benefit of the offensive player. It will eliminate a lot of these calls and will end up protecting players as well from these horrible head banging collisions.

just change the rule back to the what it started.. no such thing as a charge.. no more questions

This would make the game way too physical but honestly if they just called a block on all those plays they'd be right 80% of the time, as opposed to the current rate of ~30%.

The whole "speed of the game, it's hard to make that call" argument is complete bullshit. It's a secondary defender sliding underneath someone in the protected zone. It's an easy call. If your ref crew can't make this call correctly they shouldn't be reffing the game.

These are all bang bang plays that are so difficult to call in real time. Having said that, I think the charge call is one of those that is ruining CBB. I think at a minimum, the interpretation should be that all close calls go to the offense. Defensive player should be clearly there. Better still, go to the NBA rule on this. Bring back the exciting drive to the bucket without encouraging the secondary defenders rushing to become bowling pins.

These are all bang bang plays that are so difficult to call in real time. Having said that, I think the charge call is one of those that is ruining CBB. I think at a minimum, the interpretation should be that all close calls go to the offense. Defensive player should be clearly there. Better still, go to the NBA rule on this. Bring back the exciting drive to the bucket without encouraging the secondary defenders rushing to become bowling pins.

And make that arc bigger as well.

Not only was his foot inside the restricted zone, he literally ran over and stuck his feet on the court as the offensive player was leaving the ground. No way that can be a charge, any way you slice it. Horrible.

Nearly identical to the dunk CJ Fair had taken away earlier this year (forget what game that was) when the defender slid underneath him after CJ was already airborne.
Just plain wrong.

Nearly identical to the dunk CJ Fair had taken away earlier this year (forget what game that was) when the defender slid underneath him after CJ was already airborne.
Just plain wrong.

St. John's

I usually like Greg Anthony but "Much to do about nothing"...REALLY!? It cost ISU the game...

Pretty tough call to make real time but it should have been overturned by replay.
they should changer/clarify the rule ... to provide that:

1- the play can be reviewed (review could be limited to the last (2,3) minutes of the game -- so it doesn't cause too much delay);
2- the defender's feet have to be set before the offensive player begins his shooting motion. Running over and stuffing your feet under a player taking off for a dunk is dangerous and reduces the excitement of the game;
3- the restricted zone is a cylinder extending upward... so the players feet don't have to be touching the floor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom