Hmmmm...,so this is interesting... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Hmmmm...,so this is interesting...

You guys all forget Bill Selk. He's 50 years old and has 507 wins -- at a school that routinely puts up 25-35 wins a year. Twenty more years with 25 wins per year at Kansas ... would put him at 1007. I think he has the best chance among the younger guys of hitting 1000.

maybe, but don't overlook this oddity: Phog Allen led the Jayhawks for 39 years, but in the post-Allen years, the average tenure of a Jayhawk coach has been 12 seasons, with a high of 19. Self is entering year 11.

You guys all forget Bill Selk. He's 50 years old and has 507 wins -- at a school that routinely puts up 25-35 wins a year. Twenty more years with 25 wins per year at Kansas ... would put him at 1007. I think he has the best chance among the younger guys of hitting 1000.

That may be true, but Self has said he won't be in the running for most all time wins and he would bow out well before then.

I am paraphrasing and of course things can change, but I believe that is his take on it right now.

I hear you. In fact, JB will be around for one more season after next. Everyone can use a Hammer!
chris-mccullough-cuse.jpg

One season after would get him to 1000 wins. Even though he isn't in it for the numbers, that's one that's damn hard to ignore.

"I wouldn't have won 900+ f# cking games without Gerry McNamara not 900 games without Gerry" I kid, I would go with something like "I did it my way" by Jim Boeheim with Pete Thamel

"I've Forgotten More About Coaching Than Igor Will Ever Know"
Ask him how much calculus Jimmy remembers? I was there with Rex Trowbridge and Billy Hunter,and one of the Berra kids.

"Golden Years, Gold Medals and Mining For Gold: Jim Boeheim's Story"

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
I might have to skip reading the board at work if you're going to make me laugh that loud! This one is great!

I might have to skip reading the board at work if you're going to make me laugh that loud! This one is great!
My nostrils are flaring with pride.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I hear you. In fact, JB will be around for one more season after next. Everyone can use a Hammer!
chris-mccullough-cuse.jpg
Is that a pic of McCullough? Holy f...we're going to win it all.

This whole greatest generation of coaches is nearing its end. JB, Calhoun, K, Pitino, Gary Williams with Roy and Cal and Izzo getting up there too.

As a tennis fan you get excited when a new potentially great player first breaks through with a long run in a Slam. Then you take them for granted at their peak. At the end of their careers you pull so hard for them to have just one more great run.

As college basketball fans, we are fortunate to live in this age of giants. The next generation of great coaches appears to be quite sanitary and boring.
When this "Great Generation" of coaches when cutting their teeth, guys like Wooden, Crum, Knight, Meyer, Newell, Iba, Rupp and Smith were roaming the sidelines. The fans of that era I am sure looked at the next generation as "sanitary and boring"

Lots of icons on that list [and I can think of a few others you didn't mention]. Elite group, no matter how you slice it.

There will always be great coaches, but I don't think we'll ever see an era with coaches of that magnitude again--coaches who are synonymous with the schools they represent. Sports have changed a lot, and coaches don't stay put at one institution like they used to. They also aren't given as much rope to succeed--if they don't produce instantaneously, they are at risk for being quickly replaced.
One thing that you have now that wasn't all the way there in the 60's and 70's is the star power TV created. Carnesecca, Massimino, Tarkanian, and Thompson fit that list , if for nothing more than the "star power"

Jim Boeheim has coached Syracuse basketball from thru the Jimmy Carter presidency, two Ronald Reagan presidential terms, George H.W. Bush's presidency. two Bill Clinton presidential terms, two George W. Bush presidential terms, and two Barack Obama presidential terms. When I typed that and saw that I was in pure shock. He has been the head coach almost a decade longer than I have been alive at some point you would think he would want to go fishing and kick back. I hope its not for another 5 years, but obviously he is going to caretaker the program thru the first couple ACC years and give the keys to Hop and join ESPN/FOX/CBS as an obvious analyst. JB does the coaches poll and he knows other teams really well, and as long as he has no more baggage(i.e. the Davis lawsuit stays away) I think he is an obvious studio/game analyst if he wants to stay in the game.
baggage matters not (see: pearl, bruce)

JB has never been about the numbers; they've just snuck up on him over time. I would be surprised if 1000 wins means a damn thing to him. I think he'll just walk away when it feels right to him.
Might mean something to the decision maker in the family though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom